Official 2013 Memorial Cup Thread - Saskatoon, SK - May 17th-26th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Officially kicks off this week in Saskatoon.

Three of the four teams have been determined so far with Halifax and Portland joining Saskatoon. Set to be some ELITE hockey and has to be the best "potential" event in many many years.

The obvious storyline includes the fact that the event will host the top 3 players for the 2013 NHL Draft with Seth Jones, Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin all in attendance.

OHL participant gets decided tomorrow night following Game 7 between Barrie and London.

Event schedule is here: http://mastercardmemorialcup.ca/schedule/list

Fri May 17 OHL Saskatoon 06:00 MDT
Sat May 18 Portland Halifax 05:00 MDT
Sun May 19 Saskatoon Halifax 05:00 MDT
Mon May 20 Portland OHL 06:00 MDT
Tue May 21 Halifax OHL 06:00 MDT
Wed May 22 Saskatoon Portland 06:00 MDT
Thu May 23 Tiebreak 06:00 MDT
Fri May 24 Semi-Final 06:00 MDT
Sun May 26 Final 05:00 MDT

Oct 15, 2008
Blades havent played in almost two months. Didnt win a playoff game.

They need to revise the format for this tournament if they are going to represent that is a "best of best" format.

Looking forward to seeing Portland, Halifax and whoever comes out of the OHL. **** the Blades though. They dont deserve to be there.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box

They need to revise the format for this tournament if they are going to represent that is a "best of best" format.

Looking forward to seeing Portland, Halifax and whoever comes out of the OHL. **** the Blades though. They dont deserve to be there.

I agree that it sucks that the Blades basically get a free ticket in, but I really can't see a better way of doing it. Maybe a one game playoff between the host team and its league's runner up?

Oct 15, 2008
I agree that it sucks that the Blades basically get a free ticket in, but I really can't see a better way of doing it. Maybe a one game playoff between the host team and its league's runner up?

I thought rotating the regions same as they do now, but have the host be the winner of the league championship and the runner up being the other participant.

Might be too difficult to do logistically, but would love that format and all the teams would have played roughly the same number of games, making it a fair test for everyone.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I thought rotating the regions same as they do now, but have the host be the winner of the league championship and the runner up being the other participant.

Might be too difficult to do logistically, but would love that format and all the teams would have played roughly the same number of games, making it a fair test for everyone.

Yeah I think the logistics wouldn't work, since in some cases there would only be a few days between the end of the playoffs and the start of the cup. There's always the argument though that the Cataractes actually ended up winning last year

Oct 15, 2008
Yeah I think the logistics wouldn't work, since in some cases there would only be a few days between the end of the playoffs and the start of the cup. There's always the argument though that the Cataractes actually ended up winning last year

Sure, but they had six weeks to rest up their players, heal up any bumps or bruises and injuries. While the other teams were killing themselves trying to win their league championships.

Host teams are also artificially stacking themselves with 19/20yr olds because they know they are guaranteed a spot.

Veritas0Aequitas

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
I'm pretty excited to see Seth Jones, Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin all vie for that #1 pick (although I'm pretty sure my Avs would be flamed for taking anyone but Jones).

Domi/Zadorov or Scheifele/Ekblad will also be good to watch as well as guys like Fucale, Petan, Rattie, Leipsic, Pouliot, Griffith, Horvat, etc.

I think it's going to come down to Halifax and Portland.

NEhockeycoach

Sep 9, 2012
Imagine if Eichel decided to play for Halifax this season...

Anyways I think that Halifax will be a tough team to beat. To have two top scorers and a great goalie should bode well for them in a tournament like this.

However if the Knights make it in, they have some good returners from last seasons team that should play well.

Tough to call at this point.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005

What they COULD do is keep the host and just slightly expand the tournament. Have the three league runner ups and the host city team do a quick play in to decide who gets into the main tournament as the fourth. Because the host is still "in it", you'd still sell those 3 games as part of the full tournament package and make a few more bucks.

You then make a double header on saturday to open the tournament so that you don't have to push the dates back. Remember, the winner of the pre-tournament is already in the city, so no travel issue there but they would need at least a day of rest.

A schedule could look something like this (using this years dates as placeholders):

Wed May 15 - QMJHL runner up vs. OHL runner up 1:00pm
Wed May 15 - WHL runner up vs. Host 7:00pm (keep the host team and host league loser in the primetime slot for the locals)
Thu May 16 - Pre Tournament final

- Eliminate the Friday game for rest and do a double header on the first day of the main tournament:

Sat May 18 - OHL vs. Qualifier - 1:00pm
Sat May 18 - WHL vs. QMJHL - 7:00pm
Sun May 19 - Qualifier vs. QMJHL
Mon May 20 - WHL vs. OHL
Tue May 21 - QMJHL vs. OHL
Wed May 22 - Qualifier vs. WHL
Thu May 23 - Tiebreaker
Fri May 24 - Semifinal
Sun May 26 - Final

Now, all of that is kind of irrelevant if the host team wins their league or makes the final. What they could do in that case is make the fourth team in the pre-tournament the highest ranked team from the end of season CHL rankings (which I know have flaws). It's sort of what they do when they pick the NCAA brackets and this is still a hell of a lot simpler then the way the NCAA picks those LOL. The CIS also sort of does it this way where the 3 league losers still go to the main tournament, but I'm really not a fan of their whacked out round robin system. I like the quick bracket style better. Round robins also take longer.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
What are you guys predictions?

I see Halifax winning it, but it's hard to say. Portland has a lot of offensive talent and solid defense and goaltending, but their quick, finesse-based attack may not match up well against the hard hitting Knights or Colts. London has the best depth in the CHL, but they have a tendency to blow leads and have been getting inconsistent performances out of their leaders. Barrie has great defense and solid goaltending, but they don't have the best depth and rely a lot on Scheifele's line to generate offense (Athanasiou has played well, but he can't carry a team). Halifax seems to have very few weaknesses, but a well coached team that can key in on Drouin and Mac and get some solid goaltending can pull off an upset. It will likely depend on players like Frk and Boudreau being able to play against the other leagues like they have against the Q. And the Blades are very well rested and are playing on home ice so they could always surprise

arsmaster*

Sure, but they had six weeks to rest up their players, heal up any bumps or bruises and injuries. While the other teams were killing themselves trying to win their league championships.

Host teams are also artificially stacking themselves with 19/20yr olds because they know they are guaranteed a spot.
Logistically this is the only way to do it.

I know it sucks that the Oil Kings are out (they should have probably tried to host it...not sure if they did or not).

What are you guys predictions?

Portland.

Best defensman, best defense corps, probably the best offensive line in the CHL (should be a great matchup against Halifax's top line), battle tested veteran goalie.

They've also been tested. Halifax hasn't.

I don't believe Halifax has played a team as good as the Oil Kings yet this playoffs (Baie Comeau is close...haven't seen them as much as EDM though).

Not discounting any of the teams, because I believe any can win it, even Saskatoon if they play to their ability.

Halifax-Portland is the dream final I think....Hoping London gets there too, for draft eligible selfish reasons.

Colin Black

Cut back, Smokey!
Jun 24, 2009
Washington State
I'm guessing it comes down to Portland and Halifax, and the QMJHL will once again be able to claim a Memorial Cup champion. Should be close though; it depends on how well Mac Carruth plays, IMO.

Also, Go Colts! Nothing against the Knights, but I'd like to see things shaken up a bit.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Players to Watch

Halifax:
Martin Frk(DET)
Jonathan Drouin(2013)
Nate Mackinnon (2013)
Zachary Fucale (2013)

Portland:
Seth Jones (2013)
Nicolas Petan (2013)
Ty Rattie(STL)
Oliver Bjorkstrand(2013)

Saskatoon
Dalton Thrower(MTL)
Duncan Siemens(COL)
Matej Stransky(DAL)

Colin Black

Cut back, Smokey!
Jun 24, 2009
Washington State

If it makes you feel better, the Blades have basically given up all their draft picks for some time to put this team together. The Blades need to massively overachieve in this series to get anything out of this season, but barring some grand unforeseeable fortune, they'll be in the crap for a long time regardless of their success in the Memorial Cup.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
Players to Watch

Halifax:
Martin Frk(DET)
Jonathan Drouin(2013)
Nate Mackinnon (2013)
Zachary Fucale (2013)

Portland:
Seth Jones (2013)
Nicolas Petan (2013)
Ty Rattie(STL)
Oliver Bjorkstrand(2013)

Saskatoon
Dalton Thrower(MTL)
Duncan Siemens(COL)
Matej Stransky(DAL)

Watch him if you want to be disappointed in him.

I predict that Portland will run the show. If they play as good as they did in the finals I just can not see them losing.

All I am hoping is for the Blades to get ran out of their own barn. They just do not deserve to be in this tourney.
GO PORTLAND

arsmaster*

Players to Watch

Halifax:
Martin Frk(DET)
Jonathan Drouin(2013)
Nate Mackinnon (2013)
Zachary Fucale (2013)
Matt Murphy (2013)
Mackenzie Weegar (2013)

Not to mention Halifax has some very good veterans.
Portland:
Seth Jones (2013)
Nicolas Petan (2013)
Ty Rattie(STL)
Oliver Bjorkstrand(2013)
Chase de Leo (2014)
Derrick Pouliot (Pitt)
Taylor Leier (Phi)
Brendan Leipsic (Nsh)

Not to mention some of Portland's vets like Rutkowski, Wotherspoon, Peters and some of the youth like Iverson and Bittner.

Saskatoon
Dalton Thrower(MTL)
Duncan Siemens(COL)
Matej Stransky(DAL)
Hard to get excited by a team that has lost 12 straight playoff games.

Added some players and comments to your list.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
From a guy that has never seen Zach Fucale live, I am looking forward to how he handles a team like Portland. Rattie, Leipsic, and Petan have made a lot of good goalies look bad this year. I also feel that this tournament could have a huge impact on Fucale's draft standing. If he stands on his head and lifts his team to a title could he go top 20? top 15?

Regardless of what people think, with the amount of talent playing in the tournament this year it would be fun to see the Blades make some noise and maybe knock off a giant or two.

Whether you follow the CHL closely all year long or are just going to tune in this week, I am sure we will all be in for a treat. Since I am a WHL guy I will just have to pick Portland over OHL in the final.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
If you want to add people to watch you might as well write down Portland's whole time :sarcasm:

Pretty much this.

Carruth is a really shaky goalie though, I could see the skill of Halifax running him down.

And I agree on the "**** Saskatoon" sentiment, but as someone pointed out, they did almost completely mortgage their future for this tournament, only to have teams like Halifax and Portland make the tournament.

arsmaster*

If you want to add people to watch you might as well write down Portland's whole time :sarcasm:

I almost did. :biglaugh:

----

Disagree about Carruth being shaky. If he doesn't think he's Brodeur with the puck on his stick he makes almost all the first saves. That's all you can ask for with a defense like that clearing the rebounds.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
I think Fucale will get lit up. He hasnt shown to me that hes a top class goaltender, reminds me of Fleury... plays on a great team, but struggles at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad