Rumor: Offer Sheet Talk About Owen Tippett?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

It's almost definitely supplied by Tippett's agent (Especially that most important RFA "but not being treated like it" part) as a way to spur the Flyers into action, but I figured it was worth posting.

It would be terribly fun if Florida put an Offer Sheet on him after him being part of the return on Giroux

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011

It's almost definitely supplied by Tippett's agent (Especially that most important RFA "but not being treated like it" part) as a way to spur the Flyers into action, but I figured it was worth posting.

It would be terribly fun if Florida put an Offer Sheet on him after him being part of the return on Giroux

Who’s be dumb enough to do that ? Tippett hasn’t shown anything really

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I would love it if he got offer sheeted and signed and it was 1.3 million so there was no compensation. As someone who actively opposed Fletcher as GM, this would only expedite his departure. The fans would be livid.

However, he would just be replaced by Briere who would continue to do all the dumb things Clarke and Holmgren force him to. There would be no difference.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The unproven forward offer sheet that sort of forces his team to make a decision on how they value him for the price of a potential 2nd round pick or something? Ironically, it reminds me of Philly offersheeting Kesler for 2 million back in the day.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I like the prospect but a guy who scored 10 goals last year and 11 assists isn't getting an offer sheet. He's basically stuck taking the $1.0m Philly is offering him and betting on himself.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario

$1,386,490 or less is what he would need to sign for as FLA do not own their 3rd (Traded with Tippett for Giroux)

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Teams need to offer sheet more. It is a great tactic for hurting a fellow team and potentially nabbing a player. A team need only offer $2.1M for one year, a contract Tippett would likely take, and the compensation is only a 2023 third rounder. I don't think teams would do a 2nd, but a 3rd is very palatable for a reclamation project. I'm surprised a team like Anaheim doesn't do that. The Canes would but we have no 3rd and no cap space and no room in our top 9.

But I guarantee you the Canes front office wants flexibility to make these kinds of moves if the price is right. For example, next year the Canes could easily offer sheet Lafreniere, but I think Chytil is even more likely.

Why don't teams do this more often? Serious question.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
This guy may not be credible, but given how obviously he's carrying Tippet's agent's water here with this tweet it almost makes him credible...

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Teams need to offer sheet more. It is a great tactic for hurting a fellow team and potentially nabbing a player. A team need only offer $2.1M for one year, a contract Tippett would likely take, and the compensation is only a 2023 third rounder. I don't think teams would do a 2nd, but a 3rd is very palatable for a reclamation project. I'm surprised a team like Anaheim doesn't do that. The Canes would but we have no 3rd and no cap space and no room in our top 9.

But I guarantee you the Canes front office wants flexibility to make these kinds of moves if the price is right. For example, next year the Canes could easily offer sheet Lafreniere, but I think Chytil is even more likely.

Why don't teams do this more often? Serious question.

In most cases you would have to overpay a player in order to get the original team not to match. In which case, you risk disrupting the salary structure on your own team. It's not just an RFA thing necessarily. As much as we like to think players are happy when their team signs somebody, there can be bruised egos based on salaries. There was a summer where Buffalo splurged on Christian Ehrhoff and Ville Leino. Buffalo had been a 96 point team but they went downhill the next few seasons. There were stories about how the locker room got sour based on those contracts. Buffalo had played hard ball with some vets who were then turned off when (probably Leino's deal) they rolled out the red carpet for somebody the players thought was inferior.

One case which make sense is if a team had a backup goalie RFA who could be a starter elsewhere. But usually teams will just do a normal trade. New Jersey traded picks #37 and #70 to Washington for Vitek Vanecek and #46. Devils then signed Vanecek to a 3x3.4 mil contract. Washington wouldn't have been able to match an equivalent offer sheet but the compensation would have been a (possibly high) 2nd round pick which is on paper more than what the Devils traded for Vanecek (3rd rounder plus swap of 2nds).

I'm not sure if you were referring just to somebody like Tippett who would have minimal compensation or to bigger fish like Lafreniere. But the teams who have cap space to tender an offer sheet on a big fish usually aren't the teams who are motivated to risk an unprotected 1st round pick. Most playoff contenders will end up being close to the cap and/or have their own RFAs to worry about.

Tampa Bay's previous management happened to be saved by their own lack of foresight. They took over in 2008 and drafted Steven Stamkos. They wanted to a young defenseman to pair with Stamkos and they identified Andrej Meszaros. Ottawa was up against the cap and couldn't match an offer sheet. Despite just having been the worst team in the league, Tampa was willing to risk an unprotected #1. But Tampa was missing its 3rd rounder that was required and they were unsuccessful in getting it back. Eventually the two sides just reached a normal trade.

But if Tampa had signed Meszaros to an offer sheet like they had originally wanted, they would have forked over its 2009 1st rounder aka the Victor Hedman pick.

Having the required picks is a small detail that many people miss. New Jersey included its 2023 3rd in the recent Smith/Marino trade. Not having that pick thankfully removes the Devils from most offer sheet talk.

And it's not a slam dunk that a player wants to sign an offer sheet with a certain team. Columbus approached Mitch Marner with an offer sheet and he declined (but probably used it as leverage with Toronto). Montreal asked Brayden Point who said no and they pivoted to Sebastian Aho.

There are just a lot of boxes to check off.

Last edited:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Guessing they were/are trying to package & flip Tippett in a trade and he has more value without a pre-existing contract (or rather, more value when the negotiation is in the hands of the receiving team)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why offer sheet Tippett?

23 yrs old and coming off a 21 pt season

It's pretty clear the Panthers had lost faith in his development at point of trading him after years of waiting for him to become player worth the 10th overall pick, they invested in him

After joining the Flyers he didn't show much to point to him changing much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad