Speculation: Offer sheet for Nikita Kutcherov

scott99

May 13, 2005
Well the other option is dumping Bailey or Kulemin(I don't think we have any chance to do it with Grabovski). If Islanders are 100% certain Grabovski will be on LTIR(I am not betting on that) then that opens up some room as well

Who in their right mind would be a sucker to take on Bailey and Kulemin at their cap hits. You'd really have to find a real sucker to take them in trades.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Im all for offersheets...as long as they are for rags players. I thought we should have offersheeted both stepan and haglin (i believe those were the players) maybe 2-3 years ago...i didnt believe they would have successfully signed both without weakening their team in another area. So yes im all for it but ONLY to **** over the raggies

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I'd do it. I think people are over-valuing the negative effect of the offer sheet, especially when the player is Nikita Kucherov.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think, since Snow knows the GM who leaked the Hamonic trade request, he should offer sheet one of their up and coming young players (if they have any). Unless it's Benning, than you just mercifully realize he's some kind of special and leave him be. Who cares if that GM blackballs him....he's already not being traded with as it is.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
1 Question: Was Penner worth it? I thought he sucked.

The Oilers offer-sheeted Penner because they couldn't get any good UFA's to want to come there. So they literally threw an insane contract at Penner that he would have been insane not to accept. He was never getting that deal as an RFA without another team swooping in with an offer sheet.

You may get "blackballed" as a GM for signing another player to an OS, but it's a great thing for a player in the rare case it happens.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
You may get "blackballed" as a GM for signing another player to an OS, but it's a great thing for a player in the rare case it happens.

I think this is a myth, many GMs have given offer sheets and they seemed to function perfectly fine afterwards.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Who? More importantly, which offer sheets worked out for the team that made the offer?

Offer sheets don't work because no one uses them. We don't have a large enough data set to judge the viability of offer sheeting younger players.

Any other major sports players association would have the owners by the balls for the level of collusion that hampers offer sheets.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who? More importantly, which offer sheets worked out for the team that made the offer?

I can't think of one GM who has given out an offer sheet that has gotten blackballed by the rest of the league(which was the point made that I was responding to). My statement had nothing to do with whether the offer sheet worked out or not just answering the myth out giving out an offer sheet will blackball you

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Offer sheets don't work because no one uses them. We don't have a large enough data set to judge the viability of offer sheeting younger players.

Any other major sports players association would have the owners by the balls for the level of collusion that hampers offer sheets.

Offer sheets don't work for one simple reason:

-If the player is worth the contract the team will match

-If the player is not worth the contract, the team will let them walk and get a nice set of picks (depending on how expensive the contract is)

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Offer sheets don't work for one simple reason:

-If the player is worth the contract the team will match

-If the player is not worth the contract, the team will let them walk and get a nice set of picks (depending on how expensive the contract is)

I think your making it more simple than it actually is.

The part you are leaving out on why they do work is:

-puts pressure on a team to pay a guy what other teams value him at thereby affecting their cap and having to move other players they may not have normally traded

Just because teams choose not to do it too often doesn't mean it's because it doesn't work. You just have to find the team with the right situation to utilize it.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Tampa will match I believe. Would you not if he is the best player on the team? Isles will have to offer a lot and they may not even be the team with the most cap room to do that, even if Tampa can't find the cap room to match.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Tampa will match I believe. Would you not if he is the best player on the team? Isles will have to offer a lot and they may not even be the team with the most cap room to do that, even if Tampa can't find the cap room to match.

They'll match, but will force them to make a trade. Thing is that part wouldn't work as they obviously wouldn't make a trade to us if we did the offer sheet lol.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
There were rumors last year, that some teams were gonna offersheet Saad, so Chicago traded him. They perhaps should have taken picks instead...

And yeah, Tampa will match 7.5M for Kucherov. I have a feeling, they want to sign him for less, though.

It'd be more interesting to offer 5 years/8M instead. It's two 1sts and a 3rd, so more tempting for Tampa (Kucherov still worth them) and a little bit overpayment (like 0.5M/year), and would be even harder to match for Bolts.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad