Speculation: Offer sheet for Nikita Kutcherov

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
You guys do realize the compensation for such a contract would be 4 1st rounders?

Total Amount / Contract years(or 5, whichever is lower)

Thus 52.5/5 is 10.5/year which for this year would require 1 first rounders.

Now if it was over 7.5 over 5 years then worth considering as it would be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd believe.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Of course. But Garth would be the last person to give out an offer sheet. And Tampa would match that contract and dump off other players instead.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Tampa would match it and probably out of spite give Strome a 1 year deal @ 3M offer sheet(or the highest amount possible without costing more then a 2nd round pick), so yeah not the best plan

Last edited:

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I really only pay attention to the Isles, so I really don't know. But do teams make offer sheets/players sign often? It seems to me this is kind of rare. last time I even remember it happening was when the Rags gave an offer sheet for Joe Sakic years ago

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I really only pay attention to the Isles, so I really don't know. But do teams make offer sheets/players sign often? It seems to me this is kind of rare. last time I even remember it happening was when the Rags gave an offer sheet for Joe Sakic years ago

Oilers tried to sign Vanek(7 years @ 7M), Buffalo matched. Hindesite being 20/20 Buffalo should have taken the 4 first round picks, they might have had a bunch of top 5 picks

Oilers did for Penner(Anaheim didn't match)

Flyers tried to get Shea Weber out of Nashville like 4 years ago.

Few other times it happened as well but those were the biggies

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Tampa would match it and probably out of spite give Strome a 1 year deal @ 3M offer sheet(or the highest amount possible without costing more then a 2nd round pick), so yeah not the best plan

I don't know if they can afford to pay kuch that much...I don't care if they offer sheet strome in return lol

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
For Kuch, they are welcome to 4 1st rounders. Gives JT good wings for the 1st time and Kuch is young enough to be a star for a long long time.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Giving an offer sheet will get Snow blacklisted from other GMs...which is not to our benefit in the future.

I like Kucherov and all and have seen him play plenty and while he's a solid player, is he really worth ticking off the entire league and 4 1st round picks? I'm not so sure. What offer sheet has worked out for the team offering it?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I disagree with the practice of offer sheets. That's all I will say.

I have 0 problems with them but if you do it

1. You better make sure the guy you going to sign will most likely not be matched

2. You aren't giving up to much compensation

3. Not over paying him

In general it's very slim these three things will happen

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What offer sheet has worked out for the team offering it?

You can argue Penner worked out for the Oilers. At the end of the day they basically traded him for what they gave up in compensation(maybe even slightly higher because Teubert was somewhat highly regarded when they did acquire him)

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Giving an offer sheet will get Snow blacklisted from other GMs...which is not to our benefit in the future.

I like Kucherov and all and have seen him play plenty and while he's a solid player, is he really worth ticking off the entire league and 4 1st round picks? I'm not so sure. What offer sheet has worked out for the team offering it?

It's about using them wisely. What Edmonton did with Vanek back in the day was pretty unnecessary. I know the Sharks offer sheeted Niklas Hjalmarsson right after Chicago beat them in the Conference Finals, and the Hawks matched it. But the Sharks are doing pretty well for themselves right? I don't see the issue when it's used in a smart, clever way on how to put rivals in a tough position.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I have 0 problems with them but if you do it

1. You better make sure the guy you going to sign will most likely not be matched

2. You aren't giving up to much compensation

3. Not over paying him

In general it's very slim these three things will happen

How many offer sheets that worked were actually worth it?

Zero. But you also pave a street from every single team to your young assets by doing so whether it works or not. So, I still wouldn't do it.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
How many offer sheets that worked were actually worth it?

Zero. But you also pave a street from every single team to your young assets by doing so whether it works or not. So, I still wouldn't do it.

As I pointed out above Penner actually worked out in the sense the Oilers turned around and traded him for basically the value they gave up

scott99

May 13, 2005
I don't know if they can afford to pay kuch that much...I don't care if they offer sheet strome in return lol

WE can't afford to pay him that much either. I think we are only 4.5 mill under the cap with several RFAs to sign. Any acquisition of any good player would put us way over the cap, can only dumpster dive from here on out (like PA Parenteau).

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
WE can't afford to pay him that much either. I think we are only 4.5 mill under the cap with several RFAs to sign. Any acquisition of any good player would put us way over the cap, can only dumpster dive from here on out (like PA Parenteau).

Well the other option is dumping Bailey or Kulemin(I don't think we have any chance to do it with Grabovski). If Islanders are 100% certain Grabovski will be on LTIR(I am not betting on that) then that opens up some room as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad