OT: Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Prospecting with MS: Day 1, ow. only had energy to classify. Any one prospect here?
Mineral prospecting? I’m a geologist albeit not an economic one. The field work I do for my job is mostly sedimentary rocks but I’ll occasionally rock hound for other minerals.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
So far, we're okay at my house in Hermitage. My mother in law mentioned that it was hailing but I'm not sure if that was actually happening where she lived or she saw it on TV.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
So far, we're okay at my house in Hermitage. My mother in law mentioned that it was hailing but I'm not sure if that was actually happening where she lived or she saw it on TV.

I saw the hail in downtown Nashville on my phone news. You could hear the clatter on the window inside whatever high rise that it was recorded.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I saw the hail in downtown Nashville on my phone news. You could hear the clatter on the window inside whatever high rise that it was recorded.
This is from Kingsport (East TN, about 5 hours from here, I guess). Hail hits Kingsport

Here's video from my area. I live near Stoner Creek and it ALWAYS floods with varying degrees of severity, but my house is on a hill so we have been spared. In the 2010 flood one house about 1/4 mile from mine had water to the eaves--sadly, if I'm right about the overhead picture location at the :23 mark it looks like they might have gotten flooded again. https://www.newschannel5.com/news/video-drone-footage-shows-dramatic-flooding-aftermath-in-hermitage

Jul 12, 2007
If that Stoner Creek area is the 4-5 houses across from the train station, yeah those poor guys get hosed in just about every big storm. Doesn’t seem to be up in the house every time, but they always have water standing all around all those houses.
Probably need a levy back there.
Surprised that the individual homeowners haven’t put up nice walls on all 4 sides of their yards; sure beats worrying about it 24 / 7.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
If that Stoner Creek area is the 4-5 houses across from the train station, yeah those poor guys get hosed in just about every big storm. Doesn’t seem to be up in the house every time, but they always have water standing all around all those houses.
Probably need a levy back there.
Surprised that the individual homeowners haven’t put up nice walls on all 4 sides of their yards; sure beats worrying about it 24 / 7.
Same homes.
I am surprised, too, but maybe they're restricted from constructing one.

Friend of mine who lives in Madison has had many instances of flooding because of the pattern of the water flow--she's kind of at the bottom of a hill but it's totally a result of the construction methods--she's not even near a creek! She can do nothing and the city won't do anything either--they point fingers at the builders, builders say uh uh, not my problem.

Jul 12, 2007
Same homes.
I am surprised, too, but maybe they're restricted from constructing one.

Friend of mine who lives in Madison has had many instances of flooding because of the pattern of the water flow--she's kind of at the bottom of a hill but it's totally a result of the construction methods--she's not even near a creek! She can do nothing and the city won't do anything either--they point fingers at the builders, builders say uh uh, not my problem.
In the big one, we knew a lot of people whose neighborhoods did extremely weird things. One had a cute little decorative pond right in the middle of the development. Unfortunately it still had a connection to the storm sewer system, and it just grew outward to flood the whole damned place.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I have been extremely happy with my Mazda6, 2017 Grand Touring. It drives like a dream. I think Mazda hooked me for life with this one.
Subaru Outback/Forester is our favorite. We moved to a Kia to lower our payments for a bit but will probably be back in one asap.

Reactions: Adz

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
True story.

I’ve considered buying a older car as a daily driver lately. Leaning towards a Dodge Charger. Looked at a 2011 with very low miles.
Our next one will be either a Subaru or a mid-size truck. I haven't bought a truck since 96, sold my old Nissan a couple of years ago. I drive to Franklin but its only 3 days a week so even with that I'm not putting a ton of miles on one, but way more than my wife would who is litterally 2-3 minutes from work so she gets the back up car which is currently a Dodge Grand Caravan.

Probably looking at the Honda Ridgeline at this point.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Our next one will be either a Subaru or a mid-size truck. I haven't bought a truck since 96, sold my old Nissan a couple of years ago. I drive to Franklin but its only 3 days a week so even with that I'm not putting a ton of miles on one, but way more than my wife would who is litterally 2-3 minutes from work so she gets the back up car which is currently a Dodge Grand Caravan.

Probably looking at the Honda Ridgeline at this point.
I drive my wife’s Murano on days it’s raining if she’s working from home. Lately she’s going in more. I hate SUVs. I feel like soccer mom driving it. I have a pickup, but that’s pretty much Nicks now. So I’m driving my Lexus more than I want. I love it, I hate putting miles on it though.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I consider myself very fortunate to be in a situation with a local dealer that I've worked with and bought so many vehicles from over the years that I can walk their lot, test drive whatever I want and take it home with it within 20 mins of making a decision. But it took a long time to get to that point, I don't miss the old way of spending half my day at the dealer.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I consider myself very fortunate to be in a situation with a local dealer that I've worked with and bought so many vehicles from over the years that I can walk their lot, test drive whatever I want and take it home with it within 20 mins of making a decision. But it took a long time to get to that point, I don't miss the old way of spending half my day at the dealer.
I haven't done that in years. My father in law used to be a car dealer at one point so he knows the ins and outs and I learned alot. I tend to do a ton of research, figure out what the price should be and then when I find a place that has it I have zero issue pitting one dealer against another. Generally when I walk onto a lot these days I pretty much hand them a price and they can either match it immediately or I walk away. When they know you will just walk out the door they have an entirely different attitude.

Also don't be afraid to use a bad experience against them in future sales. I did that with Darrel Waltrip Subaru once. When we were first trying to buy a Subaru I literally had a salesman tell me they had already met the quota for the month so there was no need to deal with me. I said fine and turned around and left. The next time we were buying one we went there to test drive and let them know we had no intention of buying from them because they didn't like to deal. Two seconds later the manager was standing next to me and we worked out a deal rather quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad