OT: Off-Topic Thread - Airing of Grievances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Interesting discussion. As the future of work continues to evolve, the secret of long term employment with one company has remained fairly static - execute or be executed, add value, build relationships, do what the majority won't/be flexible and be aware of your limitations.

I have worked for the same company for 37 years (50+ billion dollar/year business) in various roles and have seen lots let go over the years (just laid off 500+ in late October out of a workforce of over 175,000+). People swept up in this last round were let go for 4 reasons - redundancy, poor performance/poor choice, technology/outsource, or over compensation.

The first three reasons are usually early/mid career disruptions, ie - hired to implement/train new process, once completed - the job ends. You will be at risk so be aware and ensure you also provide other value - most organizations will find a fit elsewhere. The last reason is usually a late career disruption as you move up the ladder in title and pay/compensation. At some point the business will assess it's return on investment and if you are not as committed as you once were (normal course of action as priorities shift to kids and social engagements that start to take precedence over our jobs) and are blocking younger talent, you are at risk. Just as your path was being blocked by someone else earlier in you career. It sucks but it is business. Usually, in our business at least, when you get to this point you should be very well set up for the rest of your life as long as you realized that this is the end game and prepared yourself accordingly.

I have always approached my job with the understanding that when I get paid the business has met it's short term obligations to me. It is up to me to continue to give them reasons to keep paying me.

And the moral of your story is this a blueprint for corporate survival. Well said.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Saw Pentatonix tonight. Was their Christmas show but they mixed in some regular stuff in their second set. Frigging phenomenal.

Bohemian Rhapsody a capella is mind blowing and their version of Hallelujah brings me to tears.

...no seriously. My husband was making fun of me.

Reactions: Kovi

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Saw Pentatonix tonight. Was their Christmas show but they mixed in some regular stuff in their second set. Frigging phenomenal.

Bohemian Rhapsody a capella is mind blowing and their version of Hallelujah brings me to tears.

...no seriously. My husband was making fun of me.
I once watched YouTubes of Pentatonix for two solid hours. They are so freaking amazing. How was it with their new Bass singer, with Avi having left?

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I once watched YouTubes of Pentatonix for two solid hours. They are so freaking amazing. How was it with their new Bass singer, with Avi having left?

He was really good. Endeared himself right away as he went to Berklee and was saying how good it was to be home. And he told a great story about being in high school at an a cappella competition and his team winning, and Pentatonix was the headliner so their prize was sitting in the front row for their performance. And how he never thought he’d be on stage with them 5 years later and to always believe in your dreams.

I loved him. Im a sap. Ha.

Reactions: Kovi

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
He was really good. Endeared himself right away as he went to Berklee and was saying how good it was to be home. And he told a great story about being in high school at an a cappella competition and his team winning, and Pentatonix was the headliner so their prize was sitting in the front row for their performance. And how he never thought he’d be on stage with them 5 years later and to always believe in your dreams.

I loved him. Im a sap. Ha.
Awwww. that's really cool!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
This sinus infection is taking its sweet time going away. Not on antibiotics anymore but I have to just let it run its course..

I miss being able to taste food.

Congrats on the new gig Katie!

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
They could just have her disappear somehow. Leave it open in case they want to bring the character back with a different actress at some point.

Blasphemy!

They've also stated on numerous occasions that they won't go the Rogue One route and CGI her likeness into the movie either.

They one hundred percent have to give her character some type of closure.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Blasphemy!

They've also stated on numerous occasions that they won't go the Rogue One route and CGI her likeness into the movie either.

They one hundred percent have to give her character some type of closure.

My 20 year old son told me about the CGI stuff.

The idea of a different actress seems blasphemous now, but it all depends on what plans they had for the character going forward in the storyline.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I might be the only person in the world that hasnt watch star wars or harry potter- never played or gave a crap about fantasy football-- never watched an episode of the walking dead or game of thrones.

All of that applies to me, with the exception of fantasy football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad