OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Semi serious note - anyone else getting totally disillusioned with this city? Constant traffic, insane cost of living? My friends are starting to flee. Another one just tolkd me today that he is moving to (*gag*) Ottawa. Why not though? He can buy a full size standalone house for 400K there, basically becoming mortgage free at 43 years old. I was thinking hard about it. Ottawa? Calgary? States?

PS. If you had to move, how important would it be to you to have an NHL/ AHL/ OHL/ WHL franchise where you go?

Born and raised in Toronto (East York and Leaside) and the older I get the more I start to dislike it. Would never consider Ottawa but to each their own. Eastern Canada is what I'd prefer if I moved for good. My brother picked up last year and moved to Cyprus for good. I'll be visiting him for 4 weeks in August and September.

I wouldn't care if there was an NHL franchise where I moved to.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
@ACC1224 have you had the ribs? Prices seem good. Starting to have a good look through now
They’re good, ordered some today.
Worth the price for sure.

If you like breakfast sausage their breakfast bangers are the best I’ve ever had.

Reactions: bax

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada

If you like breakfast sausage their breakfast bangers are the best I’ve ever had.
The prices look really good to me. I’ll need to do a freezer clean out to make room

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Grew up in Toronto ...East York and Scarborough. Left age 19 and been living in Ottawa for almost 35 years. I came here for school and ended up staying. My parents still live in south west Scarbough.

I've been a Leafs fan since my first game at MLG in 77 vs. the Pens. 46 years of waiting.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The prices look really good to me. I’ll need to do a freezer clean out to make room
Yeah the bulk can be an issue, we split amongst neighbours on occasion but usually we get through it. We often order amongst a few houses to get over the $300 for free delivery.

Another favourite is the $30 Tenderloin Tips. I make some serious Philly Steaks or Beef Burritos with those.

Reactions: bax

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Beer is also a good off-season topic.

I had been an occasional patron of Great Lakes Brewery for a while (particularly their "Shinny Pants" stout), but during COVID I discovered they deliver in the GTA for free (minimum order $50).

Except for some Irish and English imports, they're my go-to now.

Many of their beers sell for $60 for a 24 of tall cans, which is only $2.50 per can.

Canuck Pale Ale is good, Pompous Ass is an English style ale (and my father-in-law's favourite), and they renamed "Shinny Pants" to "GLB Stout" so it didn't seem seasonal.

Lots of hoppier choices (Octopus Wants to Fight, Burst, and Hazemama).

They also have a variety of lagers, pilsners, and others, including lighter ones (Monty Mild at 3.7% and Sunnyside Session at 3.9% are good).

Their description of their Stock Ale:

"Our brewers, while sipping on a durian and kumquat quadruple Scandinavian IPA with lactose, forastero cocoa, and goji berries, brewed with yeast harvested from the rind of a 540 year-old wheel of cheese, discovered on a diving expedition at the bottom of Uvs Lake, discussed the fact that sometimes you just want a beer that tastes like beer, and then proceeded to brew this one right here."

It really is just a good beer-type beer. Similar to Molson Stock Ale or Labatts 50.
When back in TO during the spring, I stumbled across this fine ale.
IMG_3129.jpeg
IMG_3130.jpeg

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I love a good steak but being from the east coast, it's all about the seafood. Digby scallops are a particular fave. Malpeque Bay oysters from PEI and of course lobster. Best price and freshness can be had right at the wharf.
Hello, is your avatar pic taken from Cabot Cliffs? Had a wonderful day there, this looks like the 17th, if I'm not mistaken.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
When back in TO during the spring, I stumbled across this fine ale. View attachment 728743View attachment 728744
Great one for sure and hard to find on tap. A place on the Danforth near Woodbine has it on tap.

Grew up in Toronto ...East York and Scarborough. Left age 19 and been living in Ottawa for almost 35 years. I came here for school and ended up staying. My parents still live in south west Scarbough.

I've been a Leafs fan since my first game at MLG in 77 vs. the Pens. 46 years of waiting.

Where in East York?

Reactions: meefer

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Born and raised in Toronto (East York and Leaside) and the older I get the more I start to dislike it. Would never consider Ottawa but to each their own. Eastern Canada is what I'd prefer if I moved for good. My brother picked up last year and moved to Cyprus for good. I'll be visiting him for 4 weeks in August and September.

I wouldn't care if there was an NHL franchise where I moved to.
I was a Leasider back in the day. By 2008, after 6 years of figuring things out, I made the move to Thailand. Love coming back to see family and friends in the spring and fall, but have to admit this last spring's visit had me wondering where the city was heading. As for traffic, you folks should spend a few days in Bangkok, 555 (5 is pronounced as 'ha' in Thai). The greatest advantages here are the variety of people you meet who have a bit of an 'odd' view towards life, in a good way, and the sense of 'sanuk' (fun) that the Thai people bring to their day to day lives. It ain't perfect, but it beats the 'grimness' that I experienced when last back in TO.

Great one for sure and hard to find on tap. A place on the Danforth near Woodbine has it on tap.

Where in East York?
North side of D, west of W?

Reactions: BallardEra

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

Nothing better than waking up in the morning and having a breakfast banger.

• Haha
Reactions: Cleetus

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I was a Leasider back in the day. By 2008, after 6 years of figuring things out, I made the move to Thailand. Love coming back to see family and friends in the spring and fall, but have to admit this last spring's visit had me wondering where the city was heading. As for traffic, you folks should spend a few days in Bangkok, 555 (5 is pronounced as 'ha' in Thai). The greatest advantages here are the variety of people you meet who have a bit of an 'odd' view towards life, in a good way, and the sense of 'sanuk' (fun) that the Thai people bring to their day to day lives. It ain't perfect, but it beats the 'grimness' that I experienced when last back in TO.

North side of D, west of W?

I was in Thailand for 3 weeks, four years ago; loved it. The wife and I are seriously considering moving there at some point when we both retire. I love Canada, don't get me wrong, but your dollar just goes so much farther over there.

Do you have to do the thing where you go out of the country every six months (?) just so you can come back in and stay?

Reactions: meefer

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I was in Thailand for 3 weeks, four years ago; loved it. The wife and I are seriously considering moving there at some point when we both retire. I love Canada, don't get me wrong, but your dollar just goes so much farther over there.

Do you have to do the thing where you go out of the country every six months (?) just so you can come back in and stay?
It depends on the visa you have. Most who come here to live do so on a retirement visa. I believe you have to be 50 or over, and can prove you can financially take care of yourself. Every 90 days you must report to immigration, or have an ‘agent’ to do it for you, or travel outside the Kingdom so that your visa remains valid. Which reminds me, damn, I’ve got to get moving on my new passport application, I’m running out of pages 😳

I know Woodbine and Cosburn very well. I went to East York Collegiate.
555, I taught at EYC.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Just to add, if you’re considering a move to Thailand, I’d strongly caution that you investigate/live here for at least 4-6 months before making a decision. I love it. Many don’t. It’s intoxicating, it’s demanding, it’s very different. The Thai smile has more meanings than you can imagine, and their sense of logic is at times, confounding. Where you live and how you are treated varies across the country. Expectations because you are ‘farang’ (foreigner) can be a cause of exasperation. But, if you’ve the right temperament, and are financially secure, it’s a great place to live. Cheers.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad