Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread Vol. VIII - "Now The Real Offseason Begins" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
THE FACTS:

(Please keep the following in mind: Only some of these are "facts". Many of these are only rumours from sources that can be considered "credible" within the hockey community. The author of this post is not responsible for the blatant misuse of "rumours" as "facts" - this is only here as a quick-link resource for anyone who is curious about sources for Senators-related trade & UFA news... The onus of responsibility of what is done with this information is on the reader. As usual, common sense should prevail. Thanks.)

On Jason Spezza:
- "The Senators have had mild interest from the St. Louis Blues and Anaheim Ducks in Spezza." - Garrioch (May 11th, 2014)
- Blues are "high on Jason Spezza's wish list" - Andy Strickland (May 13th)
- Spezza requests trade, Murray says he will oblige (June 11th)
- St. Louis Blues have "serious interest", putting together package "that would include Patrik Berglund". - AJ Jakubec (June 12th)
- Brad May said Spezza never asked to be traded, instead asked for "commitment from Ottawa" (June 14th)
- Spezza's "10 team Refusal List" includes all 4 Western Canadian teams. Unsure if Toronto or Montreal are on that list. (June 14th)
- Calgary rumoured to have made an offer of: Hudler, Backlund, possibly Wideman, and a combination of 2nd and 3rd round picks. - Garrioch (June 14th)
- Spezza's "No Trade" list apparently includes Florida, Columbus, Nashville, and the Islanders - Dreger (June 17th)
- Calgary GM Treliving claims that rumours of Flames making an offer for Spezza are "categorically false... That’s 100% fantasy island" (June 17th)
- "Told Jason spezza's number one choice for a trade is to the #stlblues. Word is he believes he's headed to either STL or ANA" - Strickland (June 18th)
- Murray says he has "two serious offers on the table" for Jason Spezza (June 19th)
- Murray said he will allow a team to talk to Spezza about an extension only after "a deal has been done" - Garrioch (June 19th)

On Milan Michalek:
- Murray says the only UFA he wants to keep is Milan Michalek (June 11th, 2014)
- "It’s believed the Senators are trying to sign Milan Michalek to a new contract." - Ken Warren (June 13th)
- Murray confirms there is a contract offer on the table for Michalek. "There is a good chance" a deal can get done (June 19th)

On Ales Hemsky:
- Talks between Ottawa & Hemsky break down, Hemsky's reported asking price is $5.5mil/year. Hemsky expected to test UFA market. (June 4th, 2014)
- Sens offer Hemsky 3yr, ~$10mil deal, which Hemsky rejected. Sens listening to offers for his UFA rights. - Bob McKenzie (June 16th)

On Stephane Da Costa:
- Ottawa did not want to give Da Costa a 1-way contract. Likely headed to KHL - Bob McKenzie (June 16th, 2014)
- Stephane Da Costa "has signed a deal to play in Russia’s KHL next season" (June 20th)

On Robin Lehner:
- Murray says discussions ongoing with Lehner about short and long term extensions (June 19th, 2014)
- Sens "not close to a deal yet" with Lehner. "Will get done" - Garrioch (June 19th)

On Jiri Sekac:
- "Right now he has more than a dozen firm offers on a max entry-level deal for two years. He's expected over the next couple of days to make up his mind as to which team. This is a guy who is in great demand." - Bob McKenzie (June 6th, 2014)
- Vishal Hussein ("Voice of the Oshawa Generals") says Sekac has eight NHL offers... frontrunners are Devils, Flyers & Sens (June 9th)

On the Internal Budget/ Cap:
- "The Senators will not be a cap team next year and the club will continue with an internal budget with $56-to-$57 million range. The club will continue to put money into drafting an developing to have success." - Garrioch (April 15th, 2014)

(will update this as news & legit sources are made available)

Last edited:

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I wonder is Spezza bothers putting down the rebuilding teams knowing that they probably won't pursue him anyways or if he just plays it safe?

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
What would be people's good (but realistic) return for Spezza qualiy as?

Mine would be:

Blues:
Spezza + Wiercioch for Shattenkirk + Berglund + STL 2nd

Anaheim:

Etem + 10th + Rakell (reaching a bit here, probably more realistic is Kerdiles/Sorrenson instead of Rakell, or we could add a small piece)

Dallas:

Chiasson + Oleksiak/Ritchie + 14th

Nashville:

Wilson + Sissons/Aberg/Beck + 11th

NYR:

Spezza for Staal + Brassard + meh prospect

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011

Mine would be:

Blues:

Anaheim:

Etem + 10th + Rakell (reaching a bit here, probably more realistic is Kerdiles/Sorrenson instead of Rakell, or we could add a small piece)

Dallas:

Nashville:

NYR:

I mean I really like the return but I hate the idea of trading Wier.. he has great potential and next season maybe he'll actually get ice time and show how good he is.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Blues:

Anaheim:

Dallas:

Chiasson + Ritchie + 14th

Nashville:

Wilson + Aberg + 11th

Assuming the prospect we got back from Nashville was Aberg, I'd be fine with all of these. I'd like to see if we can pry Dillon out of Dallas, but I realize that may not be the way this plays out.

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
I mean I really like the return but I hate the idea of trading Wier.. he has great potential and next season maybe he'll actually get ice time and show how good he is.

Ya, I'm really high on him too, but I think Shattenkirk kind of makes him redundant. Wiercioch is for now a Shattenkirk mini, and Shattenkirk gives us the upgrade on defence we need and on the right side, and is only two years older. I think the deal is only fair because I'm counting on Wiercioch developing into a good #4 PP QB defenseman who gets around 40-45 points.

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
Assuming the prospect we got back from Nashville was Aberg, I'd be fine with all of these. I'd like to see if we can pry Dillon out of Dallas, but I realize that may not be the way this plays out.

Yeah, I'd be fine with all of these too :laugh: That's why I put them, they would be ideal (realistic) scenarios for me. I doubt we get any of these returns.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Mine would be:

Blues:

Anaheim:

Dallas:

Nashville:

NYR:

I like the St Louis scenario the best out of these. While it seems like overkill to add Wiercioch, who has a shot at turning into a legit 4/5 D, the reality is that Wiercioch helps nothing sitting in the pressbox for us. I would rather see us move him than have him go through another season where he sees limited action. Plus we really need a top end D coming back.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I like the St Louis scenario the best out of these. While it seems like overkill to add Wiercioch, who has a shot at turning into a legit 4/5 D, the reality is that Wiercioch helps nothing sitting in the pressbox for us. I would rather see us move him than have him go through another season where he sees limited action. Plus we really need a top end D coming back.

We wouldn't get Shattenkirk without sending Weir or the equivalent back. That would be a fine, fine deal.

John Holmes*

That Blues trade is awful. Can't believe anyone is happy with that.

John Holmes*

Spezza for Kadri and Gardiner + 1st trumps them all by a mile.

John Holmes*

Probably not.

We need a GM that isn't a p u double s why. Brian Burke would make that deal.

Now we'all get broken down junk for another star and hey...we don't want Spezza in the division.

I'm sick of this team. Holy **** when are people going to wake up. The guys in charge are complete morons.

John Holmes*

Yeah good point.

I'll find a team that isn't a defacto farm team for the rest of the league.

Melnyk's next move will be arguing that the cap floor is too high.

The Senators are a poisonous organization.

Enjoy becoming the Expos of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad