Speculation: Off Season Trade Thread Vol. VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
And I can't wait for Sens fans to be desperate for a legit top line center several seasons after SPezza is gone.

Yup. You'd think they would have learned from the Sundin/Leafs saga just how hard it is to get a good #1 centre.

And I can't wait to see him rip it up elsewhere and I would love to see him lift a Cup. The Spezza hate is ridiculous and has been for many ****ing years. He deserves better.

The whining his haters will do in the next few seasons will be funny.

Exactly. I really hope he wins one wherever he goes. He deserves a lot better than the crap some Sens fans spew at him.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Spezza, Hemsky rights and Prince for Vermette, Stone, Samuelsson and the 11th Overall Pick.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
J.Joikenen-Zibanejad-Stone
Hoffman-Vermette-Lazar
Greening-Smith-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Stone
Phillips-Ceci/Gryba

Trade some of our prospects to move up in the draft and select Ehlers.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Turris is not a true #1 center.

I think that depends on what your definition of true #1 center is. If you mean elite then I would agree with you, but wouldn't #1C be top 30 in the league? I mean he was T-21st in scoring for centres (took out O'Reilly from the nhl.com list because he played LW this season) and is 200 foot player who can play ES, PP, PK effectively, and was a +22 on a team where the other top 6 center was -48 worse than him. Not to mention only 24 y.o. and getting better.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
On the topic of Turris as a top line centre

He isn't one on his own but with a star player like Ryan and a wizard like MacArthur he can be

We're used to top line centres making the other players on his line better because that's how Spezza works, Turris isn't that good but I have no fear if he's the top line middle man as long as MacA and Ryan stick around

Jonathan81

Sep 12, 2011
MAK19: Dude, Spezza will leave Anaheim in a year, and on top of that could even easily miss half the year with an injury.

Fowler plays a big role (top pair) offensively AND defensively for the Ducks. And will do so for the next 10 years. WHY would Anaheim sacrifice that for 1 year of a one dimensional #2 centre?

So you're basing your argument on pure speculation of your own again.......:shakehead

My guess is that the team who trade for him will ask to speak with him before and see if there is an extension that please both sides. That is pure common sense.

Regarding Fowler, like i said before, the kid has the potential to be a #2 maybe #1 defenceman, but that's not the case actually and at 4 millions, it's a lot of money for an unproven def. Maybe he is playing big minutes for Anaheim but it's not like he is stellar by any means, his stats seems to corroborate my POV at the very least.

So once again you're another typical case of overrating player X while underrating Spezz. Seems to be the mood on HF these days :shakehead

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I think that depends on what your definition of true #1 center is. If you mean elite then I would agree with you, but wouldn't #1C be top 30 in the league? I mean he was T-21st in scoring for centres (took out O'Reilly from the nhl.com list because he played LW this season) and is 200 foot player who can play ES, PP, PK effectively, and was a +22 on a team where the other top 6 center was -48 worse than him. Not to mention only 24 y.o. and getting better.

There are not 30 #1 centers.

Turris is a 1st liner but not a #1 center.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
MAK19: Dude, Spezza will leave Anaheim in a year, and on top of that could even easily miss half the year with an injury.

Fowler plays a big role (top pair) offensively AND defensively for the Ducks. And will do so for the next 10 years. WHY would Anaheim sacrifice that for 1 year of a one dimensional #2 centre?

So you're basing your argument on pure speculation of your own again.......:shakehead

My guess is that the team who trade for him will ask to speak with him before and see if there is an extension that please both sides. That is pure common sense.

Regarding Fowler, like i said before, the kid has the potential to be a #2 maybe #1 defenceman, but that's not the case actually and at 4 millions, it's a lot of money for an unproven def. Maybe he is playing big minutes for Anaheim but it's not like he is stellar by any means, his stats seems to corroborate my POV at the very least.

So once again you're another typical case of overrating player X while underrating Spezz. Seems to be the mood on HF these days :shakehead

Cam Fowler is a 22 year old top pairing defenseman on a steal of a contract.

He's got way more value than a 31 year old, injury prone/riddled, 1-dimensional scorer.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
Spezza, Hemsky rights and Prince for Vermette, Stone, Samuelsson and the 11th Overall Pick.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
J.Joikenen-Zibanejad-Stone
Hoffman-Vermette-Lazar
Greening-Smith-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Stone
Phillips-Ceci/Gryba

Trade some of our prospects to move up in the draft and select Ehlers.

Wonder what we could add to make it Boedker instead of Vermette (if Phoenix wants Spezza).

I don't have interest in getting another bottom 6 center, we have too many. I'd do Spezza, Weir and Hemsky's rights for Boedker, Samuelsson, Stone and the 12th (not 11th) or drop Weir and Samuelsson for a more realistic offer.

MacA-Turris-Ryan
Boedker-Zibanejad-Stone

Then we don't have to bother signing Jokinen and we can put SDC on the third line.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I want to see Spezza leave, it's what I hope happens. Not because I don't like him, nor because I don't think he doesn't fit on the team, but because it's time to move on. If he gets traded, I'll be rooting for him to win a Cup somewhere more quiet where he'll have less pressure on his shoulders. He deserves it after all these years of criticism.

However, he's been here long enough, and it's time for us to complete the rebuild. If he gets traded, that leaves Phillips and Neil as remainders of the 07' team, who provide solid leadership (finger pointing, etc.), and the roles they occupy are very secondary/tertiary.

Their contracts would be off the books in two years time, and by then the rebuild would be complete. Guys like Turris, Karlsson, Zibanejad, Ryan, Ceci, Lehner, Cowen, Stone will be hitting their stride/prime by then, and the core will be in its mid twenties for the most part.

My username will make even more sense if Spezza gets traded :)

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I'm still obsessed with the prospect of somehow getting Josi, would anyone be willing to add to get him? Josi-Karlsson would be dangerous for 10+ years and could push Methot to 2nd pair.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Definitely agree that getting a player to play with Karlsson and put Methot on the second pair would be ideal

Going forward I think it's going to be important to find ways to limit Karlsson's ice-time

Yes he can play 30 minutes a game but can he do that and still be at the top of his game if we go deep into the playoffs?

I'd love for our D to be good enough to allow Karlsson to play 23 minutes a night, unfortunately, as it stands now, that's just not an option

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think that if you look at the successful playoff teams lately and what they have in common, you'll find they don't need a great 2C and always have a great top 4 D. For example, out of the final four only LA really had great centre depth but they all had some of the best top 4's in the league. I feel like Keith/Seabrook could be Josi/Karlsson and our Hjalmarsson/Oduya could be something like Methot/Gryba.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yup. You'd think they would have learned from the Sundin/Leafs saga just how hard it is to get a good #1 centre.

Exactly. I really hope he wins one wherever he goes. He deserves a lot better than the crap some Sens fans spew at him.

They've suffered from completely lack of center depth, defense and goaltending. Not just center position. Their most recent number 1 C's include John Mitchell, Stajan and currently Bozak ffs.

I wanna know why fans keep saying the "you'l all see what happens!!"

Please enlighten me why you keep saying "Spezza will win elsewhere."

First of all, is he gonna naturally change and become a big-time playoff player? He hasn't been here by any stretch and please... I know he is PPG but when is the last time any of you said, WOW, WE SURE WON THAT PLAYOFF GAME CAUSE OF SPEZZA! And no, first ever playoff game + NYR game 3 off the pass of Mark Stone is not enough.

Ok, maybe I am selling Spezza a little short here and he may change but let's take something else into consideration...

Senators play 200 foot hockey game that is effective when he isn't changing the dynamics of the system, even though that may be a lame excuse and we could get talent to help him out... do we have the resources to bring those players in?

No.

With his injuries and most of our core not serious to contend until the next 2-3 years, do you see Spezza still being a threat in 2-3 years? Do you wanna sign him long-term?

Maybe.

IF we open the wallet and bring in talent to help Spezza win in the next 2-3 years I'm alllll for it.

When I mean talent I mean Callahan and Hemsky while adding top 3 D now like Ehrhoff.

Other then that... why the hell would I want to re-sign someone who doesn't play the way the coach wants and has injury problems which may or may not still allow him to be as good as he is 3-4 years down the road, when this team is firing in all cylinders, while we don't even have the resources to surround him with talent to compete now.

You're(Spezza sympathizers) all talking like we have a St. Louis stacked team or Toronto money and want to get rid of Spezza just cause we feel like it.

No. He doesn't fit the system the coach wants, PLUS we aren't in position to contend now, PLUS he wants big money which we can't commit too, PLUS we don't have the assets ready to surround him with talent so that we can compete now.

If Ottawa could spend to the cap then trading Spezza doesn't make much sense.

If Ottawa was as deep as St. Louis then trading Spezza doesn't make much sense.

However, Ottawa ISN'T spending to the cap and isn't contending now and it doesn't help Spezza doesn't play the way the coach wants to.

So...... stop ****ing about the fans. Go email Melnyk. Trading Spezza makes perfect sense, considering everything that's going on.

Btw, in the last 6-7 years, Ottawa has had almost identical numbers with or without Spezza. We won a playoff round without Spezza, we had our 2nd biggest winning streak of the season this year without Spezza.

Spezza is top tier talent but if we ain't gonna contend now, he is useless to us. Like Iginla was to Calgary. Only they waited too long to move him cause they were stuck in the fantasy of trying to surround him with assets they couldn't get.

I'm actually pissed off Spezza wasn't traded earlier and this team wasn't fully gutted 2-3 years ago.

We could have had Mackinnon/Drouin etc... Let's not make the same mistake twice.

Last edited:

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Turris is a better fit for the sens than spezza (zibanejad will get there soon) given with what this team is trying to implement and accomplish. Doesn't make any of us haters or whiners.

But please do stay on your high horse and keep being condescending...

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
I love Spezza. When he is good he's unstoppable, but more often than not you don't notice him. He has maintained being a PPG on this club and I am sure on another team he could continue that pace if not better.

I do think it's time to move on though. I think Spezza himself also needs a change in scenery. Ideally I would keep him and Hemsky, but with Melnyk's budget and without Spezza I don't want him.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
If LA wins the cup, the last 4 teams to win would be:
Boston - #2 D
LA - #2 D
Chicago - #1 D
LA - #1 D

We need better defence so I propose signing Stralman @ 4.5 since he's a #4 on a great defensive teams and fancy stats always seem to point to him being great. Trade Spezza + for Josi.

Josi-Karlsson
Methot-Stralman

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
If we trade Spezza to the ducks and get Bonino back, I hope they flip him to the Rangers for Brassard. The NY Rangers are tight for cap space if they do not buy out Richards.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Going after Stralman should be a no-brainer

They better do SOMETHING about the D in the off-season

Clearly they weren't anywhere near good enough this year and don't give me none of that "but they'll get better" BS

The D needs to improve and it's going to cost

If we go into next season with the same D lineup that we had at the end of this year I'm going to absolutely lose it

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What was that, a 3 game win streak? :laugh:... :cry:

4 ;)

Btw, I really wish we had Burke trading Spezza.

Burke was a mastermind when it came to trades. The guy would get back an excellent return even if the guy he was trading claimed he wanted out.

This is Murray's biggest move as a the GM. He better not **** this up.

I want AT LEAST:

Shattenkirk/Josi type player back or DSP+ Etem/Silfverberg/Vatanen ...Forsberg+ Wilson

Anything else and he has failed. Yes... failed. Berglund is not bad(I actually really like Berglund) but I want back another solid piece with him.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
4 ;)

Btw, I really wish we had Burke trading Spezza.

Burke was a mastermind when it came to trades. The guy would get back an excellent return even if the guy he was trading claimed he wanted out.

This is Murray's biggest move as a the GM. He better not **** this up.

I want AT LEAST:

Shattenkirk/Josi type player back or DSP+ Etem/Silfverberg/Vatanen ...Forsberg+ Wilson

Anything else and he has failed. Yes... failed. Berglund is not bad(I actually really like Berglund) but I want back another solid piece with him.

A STL news paper interviewed the owner of the Blues. They said they will spend respectfully when it comes to the cap.
I take that as up in the top 15 but not to the ceiling.

Spezza(7), Wiercioch(2), 3rd for Shattenkirk(4.2), Berglund(RFA), 1st
Actual salaries (6.2) for (4.2 + Berg)

MacArthur/Turris/Ryan
Berglund/Zibanejad/Stone
Greening/Smith/Neil
Hoffman/Da Costa/Condra

Methot/Karlsson
Cowen/Shattenkirk
Phillips/Ceci
Boro

That is a team I would love to see.

Status