Speculation: Off Season Thread Part II: Wake me up when September ends

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I think it's a classy move by Stevey Y. Hes gonna be the GM of the Wings, in the same division as the Lightning. This move should remove any concern that he might either consciously or unconsciously make moves as TB GM that would directly or indirectly benefit Detroit
reminds me of jeter becoming owner of the marlins and trading stanton to the Yankees for peanuts. good move.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well that's some mighty non-Tolvanen/Fabbro kind of junk San Jose just gave up for Karlsson? I was not any kind of proponent for us going after him, but like about 15 other teams in the West are probably saying now... yikes!
1st + 2nd --- obviously no problemo
Tierney --- that's a younger middle roster player and our closest comp might Jarnkrok?
DeMelo --- is just Irwin/Weber
Norris --- sort of a meh fwd prospect, Mismash did as well
Balcers --- coming on, but Trenin/Pettersson level-ish

I mean, it would have been kind of a circus at RD here and all. Feels like a beatable deal though. Especially for teams like Dallas or Vegas who might have had even juicier prospects to include than we do.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Well that's some mighty non-Tolvanen/Fabbro kind of junk San Jose just gave up for Karlsson? I was not any kind of proponent for us going after him, but like about 15 other teams in the West are probably saying now... yikes!
Tierney --- that's a younger middle roster player and our closest comp might Jarnkrok?

I mean, it would have been kind of a circus at RD here and all. Feels like a beatable deal though. Especially for teams like Dallas or Vegas who might have had even juicier prospects to include than we do.
Definitely a quantity for quality deal.

Have to imagine Stone and Duchene are going to be dealt sooner rather than later.

San Jose looking to supplement their core of elite d-men that suck at defense?

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I wonder if Duchene still wants to come here or if that whole thing was just blown way out of proportion.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Vlasic at least used to play great D. But I'd take our top 4 over theirs, all things considered (including contracts). They will basically be at the cap with a 23-man roster. We've got $8M left to spend!

Maybe we can get Duchene or Stone. :propeller

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Considering Karlsson is unsigned after this season, I think people were expecting him to being more than he ever was. Tbh most of the big deals people thought he would bring were more along the lines of the type of things you would see if he was signed to a long term cap friendly deal or if he had been a young RFA and he is neither.

San Jose doesn't give up a ton, although you gotta consider if the do sign him they have no 1st rounder for the next 3 years. In the salary cap era that could be pretty rough. I'm also not sure they get a ton better with that deal as they were already solid on the defensive front and it's not like Karlsson is a beast defensively himself. Tavares would have made them much much better.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL

I know it would never have happened but could you even imagine?

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Subban
Hamhuis-Karlsson

Everybody gets 20 minutes a night. PP1 is Karlsson-Subban. PP2 is Josi-Ellis. Team goes down in history as the first one to have three Norris finalists at the end of the season when Karlsson, Subban, and Josi finish 1-2-3 in voting (in no particular order).

Ludicrous, but it would almost be worth it just for the hilarity we'd see on these boards for a season with that defense.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
did ottawa get anything of substance? what a joke that franchise is becoming. i feel for the fans.
Thing is I know it's Ottawa, but you gotta think no one was offering much of anything if they went with a deal with San Jose after the Hoffman fiasco. I think more likely we are just starting to see the trend that even really good players aren't worth a ton if they are only guaranteed for 1 season. This is why it might not be so crazy that they are wanting to sign Duchene and Stone rather than trade them. Both will be UFA's so you gotta figure they get you a 1st and probably not much more than a B prospect, maybe slightly more based on position for Duchene and the fact you might catch a contender with space to sign a winger long term.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
These days it seems like there are only ever a few teams in the position to court the really high profile UFAs, though. It always seems to come down to only a few teams anyway that have the requisite: cap space, contention window, roster composition, and meet whatever random personal preferences a player might have. So I dunno, but SJ nabbing Karlsson seems to me like they would really be acquiring at least a legit chance at re-signing him long term and convincing him to stay.

I mean, they'll have Thornton retiring in all likelihood, and I don't know if Pavelski even as good as he is gets much of a raise at his age. So SJ seems to have a lot of the boxes checked for being able to court Karlsson in the first place, and getting him there now should be worth something significant to them.

I still feel like they underpaid therefore... it wasn't quite like obtaining a total rental version of Karlsson. They also got themselves an inside track relative to what is probably a very short list of potential destinations for him anyway.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Who do you think has the inside track to play on the third pairing with Hamhuis? Irwin or Weber? Weber's a RD but Irwin seemed like he earned more rope last year in the playoffs.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
*looks at the Karlsson trade from Ottawa's view*

It's not THAT bad, they gain some depth and their remaining stars are looking for paydays...

*Pageau tears his achilles*

Did Melnik kick Jesus' puppy?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I wonder if a Bonino + for Duchene trade would work
Now pause for just a moment. Imagine you are a team with zero shot of competing now and are looking to off-load all your older assets for pieces that will make a strong team in 4-5 years. Now imagine you were offered Nick Bonino in exchange for one of those assets.

Moving on...

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
These days it seems like there are only ever a few teams in the position to court the really high profile UFAs, though. It always seems to come down to only a few teams anyway that have the requisite: cap space, contention window, roster composition, and meet whatever random personal preferences a player might have. So I dunno, but SJ nabbing Karlsson seems to me like they would really be acquiring at least a legit chance at re-signing him long term and convincing him to stay.

I mean, they'll have Thornton retiring in all likelihood, and I don't know if Pavelski even as good as he is gets much of a raise at his age. So SJ seems to have a lot of the boxes checked for being able to court Karlsson in the first place, and getting him there now should be worth something significant to them.

I still feel like they underpaid therefore... it wasn't quite like obtaining a total rental version of Karlsson. They also got themselves an inside track relative to what is probably a very short list of potential destinations for him anyway.
San Jose is an odd duck. By all accounts they should have been going into the rebuild crapper as Marleau, Thornton and Pavelski aged. Burns is 33, Vlasic 31, Braun probably past his prime and even Couture is 29. Hertl and Meier are solid young talents, but overpaying for Kane and adding Karlsson seems like the wrong long-term direction. I think they can be really competitive for this year and maybe next, and then I think the age of that group just drags them into the competitive but not going anywhere category (and then headed for a not-insignificant rebuild) after.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Now pause for just a moment. Imagine you are a team with zero shot of competing now and are looking to off-load all your older assets for pieces that will make a strong team in 4-5 years. Now imagine you were offered Nick Bonino in exchange for one of those assets.

Moving on...

I did not state the plus. I was also commenting on how insane Ottawa has been. Also, I don't know if it's worth it.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Fire up your hot taek machines there’s a new #1 top 4 in the league. Hopefully for the Sharks they can resign him.

Poor Ottawa fans though, only a spoiled fanbase like the Penguins deserves that.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
West is going to be an absolute bloodbath this year. The Jets have probably the best offense in the league and now the Sharks have the best defense. Also, Blues improved a ton and are now a serious contender. Stars got better. Minnesota is Minnesota they are playoff-bound year in year out. Vegas trying to contend now. Yotes got a whole lot better. Oilers are due for a rebound year. Flames got Neal, Hanifin, Lindholm and Ryan they are much better.

The only team I don't see having a chance for the playoffs is Vancouver. As compared to East where there's Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa and both New York clubs which probably won't make the playoffs.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad