OT: Off Season / Summer Thread

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
Have to admit once the Jets don't play anymore I'm not really interested in playoff hockey any longer. So what are your plans for the next few months? What are you doing during off season?

Besides hockey I still have football (soccer) for at least 3-4 more weeks. my local team currently battles against getting relegated. you can see I am very used to disappointments and sorrow. However there's a saying in Switzerland: you choose your team and stick to it through thick and thin.

When summer arrives, I usually can be found swimming in the mountains. Luckily a few of my friends are avid hockey supporters too, so we meet up monthly, play NHL, have a few beers and a BBQ party.

In addition to that I will be watching our off season very closely.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Kids are tied up with spring sports....spring hockey is winding down and Baseball starting.

I can't wait for things to dry up to golf and mountain bike, have a great set of trails only 10 minutes from home and the kids love that too.

Then its lake life, get the boat out (if i can afford gas) and swim, hike, bike, fires, sleep in (when on holidays).

Also joined a trail running series, so I'll try and get as many as I can in with a friend.

Reactions: ps241

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Golf is my hope, once it dries out. Not in the league of the club guys on here but aiming for 2-3x per week so hopefully I'll actually achieve 1x. Otherwise sitting in the back yard by the pool. Was planning on lots of cycling on my surgically repaired knee but I'm pretty sure I threw that out the window last week, my knee looks like a grapefruit at the moment. So back to being impure on the golf course again by taking a cart all the time.

We are in for a doozy of a mosquito season early, so don't be surprised. There is an absolute sh*t ton of Aedes vexans eggs that have been waiting for high water to hatch. We have that water now and with this weeks temps they'll be partying. Git yer bug spray, we'll be needing it.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Golf is my hope, once it dries out. Not in the league of the club guys on here but aiming for 2-3x per week so hopefully I'll actually achieve 1x. Otherwise sitting in the back yard by the pool. Was planning on lots of cycling on my surgically repaired knee but I'm pretty sure I threw that out the window last week, my knee looks like a grapefruit at the moment. So back to being impure on the golf course again by taking a cart all the time.

We are in for a doozy of a mosquito season early, so don't be surprised. There is an absolute sh*t ton of Aedes vexans eggs that have been waiting for high water to hatch. We have that water now and with this weeks temps they'll be partying. Git yer bug spray, we'll be needing it.
Hate your post... but "liked it" for it's candor and warning...

:laugh:

Reactions: buggs

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So this is summer... actually it's Morden today....

myg92ng2oix81.jpg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So hmmm lets see

Got the winter tires off today May 5th. :help:

committed to the Lake for May long

Going on the father son fishing trip one week later but half the crew are waiting on their dam elite kids ball schedules to confirm If they are in or out.

Daughters soccer schedule is out, she also has Dance and Gymnastics May June too. Son is finishing up Volleyball, then Playing flag football with buddies, some school soccer, and he has joined St B golf course. So May and June are really full on kids.

I will attempt to golf more this season (like Buggs said maybe that = 1 game per week).

July and August will be full on Lake (about 38 days scheduled). Just finished expanding my dock and adding a new boat slip so I can waist money on a surf boat. Honestly the shot clock is on for how many seasons my kids will be coming to the lake so the time is now. That being said I am buying a 2019 off a guy who is waiting on delivery of his new boat so who knows if that happens this summer with supply chain issues.

I am heading back to Saskatchewan to reunite my old fishing trip buddies. We are doing a Hanson brothers reunion at Waskasui and my 91 year old dad is joining us since he hosted the fishing trip for my friends for about 20 years. That will be a blast and its good because one of our buddies died and one is battling cancer. I never laugh more than I do with this crew.

I go to Portugal to golf in the first week of September so that is always terrifying now that I suck at golf.

That is the summer as we know it and I guess I will be battling mosquitos so theres that.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
@ps241
Sounds like an excellent plan.

I also got my winter tires off only recently, last night. I was planning on doing it on the coming weekend (which is obscenely late) but the pothole that I hit yesterday said otherwise. (turning lane from Bishop to Waverly going northbound). I have TPMS in the tires and I've never seen anything like it, they definitely act in real time and it took about 4 seconds to go from 33 psi to zero. I got up to near the end of the merge lane on a flat tire to get out of the way and called CAA to tow me home. I only live five minutes from there. Once I got home I proceeded to change out the tires to summers. Need a new winter tire though, have to see if warranty will cover it. Might need a new rim as well and I guess I'm paying for an alignment on the next service as well. Does Autopac cover this shite?

On the plus side at least the delay in changing out the winters allowed me an option to make the rest of the summer driving easier.

Reactions: ps241

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think I ccounted over 15 flower beds last year so I am sure it will be well over 20 in a few weeks. Lots of time watering flowers around here.

I have the 1st two weeks of June off (first time I have ever booked holidays in June). A buddy thaat I grew up with duck hunting (and partying) is coming down for 6 weeks and we are going fishing up to the Bird Lake area and probably finish it off with a pickeral fish for a few days in Manigotagan. When we get back we will target catfish (and more flowerbeds) in the Netly Marsh where we grew up hunting together. I am really looking forward to these two weeks as I have gotten away from fishing the past few years and have vowed to do more this year and he has quit drinking so I have a built in designated driver for my holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The better half is an avid birder so we will be out in different areas looking for her feathered friends a lot this summer.

Who knows, I might even clean out the garage.

Oh ya, and beer, plenty of beer.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
by the way, what's your fav beer guys?
A draught beer, a very traditional belgian style beer from this Brasserie in Ghent, Belgium...

Best beer I have ever tasted... the Grandmother's style Rabbit Stew was damn good also...

:thumbu:

Reactions: UFO

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Currently in Spain, southeast.

Started playing touch/beach rugby this season, got a small tournament on the coast coming up.

Also a weekend in Paris and a trip to Barcelona on the cards as well as a few other trips I'm sure.

Not going back to New Zealand this year and I'm fully ready to enjoy the European summer.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Currently in Spain, southeast.

Started playing touch/beach rugby this season, got a small tournament on the coast coming up.

Also a weekend in Paris and a trip to Barcelona on the cards as well as a few other trips I'm sure.

Not going back to New Zealand this year and I'm fully ready to enjoy the European summer.

Ok so far you easily win the Gold medal for coolest sounding summer plans. What the hell is Touch-Beach-Rugby?

Well I upgraded my flight to business class to Toronto today for $120.00 so I plan to arrive at the air canada lounge in Winnipeg early enough to crush free shitty beer fast enough to make my upgrade revenue positive (What problem…….who me?). So take that my Kiwi friend. Try not to be too jealous.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Ok so far you easily win the Gold medal for coolest sounding summer plans. What the hell is Touch-Beach-Rugby?

Well I upgraded my flight to business class to Toronto today for $120.00 so I plan to arrive at the air canada lounge in Winnipeg early enough to crush free shitty beer fast enough to make my upgrade revenue positive (What problem…….who me?). So take that my Kiwi friend. Try not to be too jealous.
Touch rugby is rugby without the tackles. Beach rugby is playing it on the beach :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad