Speculation: Off-Season Strength Coach

Petts - How thicc?

Votes: 3 50.0%

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 220 - roids- they don't test players right?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
This is super serious so take it that way. Pettersson is constantly harped at for being to soft and not strong enough to defend effectively.

So let's say you can take over as his offseason strength coach. Live with him, make him stick to a dietary plan and workout routine in the gym and on the ice.

He's stayed around 177lbs his career it seems so the question is what would you try to get him yoked up to. You have roughly 4 months. This is gauging that he is also on board to follow your plan strictly.

I'm gonna say I can pack on and get him to near 190 first year. Don't worry for all you worried about "what about his speed." He'll be doing plenty of power skating and leg days to improve.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't think weight is the core reason Petts plays the way he does. I think it's just how hockey was taught to him in Sweden. It's a mindset now.

Joseph for example is 6' 2" 185. Not a huge gap there. But he plays far more physically. He comes at guys faster and harder. Because he commits to it, I would even argue he's quite strong and effective on the walls.

So yeah, it may be possible for Petts to put on 10+lbs but I don't think it'd make a significant difference unless Reirden and Sullivan ask him to up his physicality. If you do that you risk hurting his game though, because you're asking him to be something he's not. It will take his mind off defending.

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I don't think weight is the core reason Petts plays the way he does. I think it's just how hockey was taught to him in Finland. It's a mindset now.

Joseph for example is 6' 2" 185. Not a huge gap there. But he plays far more physically. He comes at guys faster and harder. Because he commits to it, I would even argue he's quite strong and effective on the walls.

So yeah, it may be possible for Petts to put on 10+lbs but I don't think it'd make a significant difference unless Reirden and Sullivan ask him to up his physicality. If you do that you risk hurting his game though, because you're asking him to be something he's not. It will take his mind off defending.
Jokes aside. I agree it's a likely a culture thing he's learned. Strength isn't at the forefront.

But I could never buy that coaching wouldn't like him being more physically imposing in his zone. That doesn't mean running out of position for a hit. No chance it hurts his already mediocre game.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I don't think it matters. Not that he couldn't benefit from being stronger but I just don't think that's the type of player he is.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think weight is the core reason Petts plays the way he does. I think it's just how hockey was taught to him in Finland. It's a mindset now.

Jokes aside. I agree it's a likely a culture thing he's learned. Strength isn't at the forefront.

But I could never buy that coaching wouldn't like him being more physically imposing in his zone. That doesn't mean running out of position for a hit. No chance it hurts his already mediocre game.

I’m really confused by these takes on Finnish hockey.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
67a60796-c74a-4dae-b562-66d26b01f5f8_text.gif

Reactions: Gurglesons

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

I think a lot of our D need to commit to clearing the crease more. Almost all of them last year gave a timid effort in this regard, or they didn't try to do it at all in a lot of situations.
That's where our lack of physicality/size presents itself the most in terms of negative results IMO. We got scored on on a lot of screen goals, as well as goals where the dude was just left untouched on the side of the net.

If you're bigger you'll feel more inclined to do it. The additions of Rutta+Petry will help us this way. We'll see how their overall defensive game pans out.

If the coaching staff was pushing Petts to be more physical, we'd have seen steps forward in this regard over his 3 years here. We haven't.
I don't recall any notable weight gains either. Think they've just committed to working around what he is.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Good point lol. Not sure why I typed Finnish LOL

I think a lot of our D need to commit to clearing the crease more. Almost all of them last year gave a timid effort in this regard, or they didn't try to do it at all in a lot of situations.
That's where our lack of physicality/size presents itself the most in terms of negative results IMO. We got scored on on a lot of screen goals, as well as goals where the dude was just left untouched on the side of the net.

If you're bigger you'll feel more inclined to do it. The additions of Rutta+Petry will help us this way. We'll see how their overall defensive game pans out.

If the coaching staff was pushing Petts to be more physical, we'd have seen steps forward in this regard over his 3 years here. We haven't.
I don't recall any notable weight gains either. Think they've just committed to working around what he is.

Pettersson plays a pretty physical game. Tends to get pushed around but he is consistently laying the body.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
He's stayed around 177lbs his career it seems so the question is what would you try to get him yoked up to. You have roughly 4 months. This is gauging that he is also on board to follow your plan strictly.

Team weigh-ins lie across every sport. Why would this be different? I doubt he's weighing in at more than 170.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
1661820059387.png

LIV Golfer and son-in-law of Gretzky Dustin Johnson is the same height as Petts, seems to not have that different of a frame and plays at 190.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also raises the possibility that Pettersson is more than 177, just nobody ever updated it, and has no excuse for playing like he's 177.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Also raises the possibility that Pettersson is more than 177, just nobody ever updated it, and has no excuse for playing like he's 177.
We need an up to date picture to analyze. Anyone have a social media post to share?
Screenshot_20220829-205148_Instagram.jpg

Ain't no way he's over 180. Suprised if those legs could squat his own body weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad