Off season retool

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
You don’t trade a player like Draisaitl by choice, that’s a trade you’re bound to lose.

However, if he says he’s not willing to sign an extension come July they will have to seriously consider making a trade as early as this summer. It certainly wasn’t encouraging to hear him say “I’m going to do what’s best for me” when asked about re-signing in Edmonton.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Drai needs to go or his next 12-13 million dollar contract is gonna be to rich for us and we wont be able to field a roster with any depth like the last 2 years. The way Bouchard is playing he's gettin 7 atleast probably more because Edmonton.

If Mcdavid doesnt like reality what can you really do? I guess we can keep our 9.25 2nd pairing defenceman for him.

I'm more concerned about paying Kane and Nuge $5M than giving Draisaitl a deserved raise.

Cap is going to continue to go up, Salt Lake City seems to be happening either as Coyotes relocation or as Bettman would prefer expansion.

Bouchard has another RFA year left, and that dovetails with Ekholm's last year, it won't be a problem reupping him.

Skinner is cheap for 2 more years and Rodrigue should help the big club on his fiirst cheaper RFA contract

Dumping Drai and going depth makes us worse. Team needs to do a better job of getting players on ELCs or first years of arb to contribute to the big club.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bouchard will be the one traded if he asks for a ton (and he probably will).

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
We are comfortably in a playoff spot and lost 2 in a row. We should have beat minny but hit 5 posts. Step back from the ledge lol.

Reactions: Puljulainen

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Im really leaning towards a retooling on the fly because I really do believe the Nurse overpay, Campbell contract and now next years Brown contract bonus has closed our window. We just cant afford decent depth to fix our roster holes.

This summer trade Drai to a team that wants to 8 year extension him it then allows us a retool to be able to balance the roster with some depth. we should get a kings ransom for him.

Nurse is a 7 million D-man that needs to be moved. I like him and alot of things he does but not at 9.25. That overpay is 2 depth players or 1 good one. Just like when he bent us over a barrel for that contract its a business and time to move on. Unless the right deal comes along keep him im not taking a loss on the trade.

Find a deal for Campbell and if its to expensive then just buy him out.

If we try to hold the current team Drai and Bouchard contracts are just gonna cost us our depth and we'll continue being a 1st-2nd round playoff team. Were already down 4.5 million minimum next year. The sky isnt falling but moves need to be made this off season to shake up this roster to fix the mistakes made.

This is my first thread dont rake me over the coals to badly lmao.

Sweet.

Who are the expected 1st overall picks for the next decade?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At the end of the day Mcdavid is a professional and if we dont mess up building a roster post Drai and Campbell with 12 million dollars why would he leave. That doesnt even take into account many other moves that could be made. Kulak, Foegle, Kane.

Mcdavid will still have guys like Nurse, Hopkins Hyman and whoever else on the roster he's close with.

I wont take it wrong posting a thread as a 3 year lurker. People can choose to take part in a discussion or not just posting an opinion. People love Drai and I like him as well he's a great player but i'm thinking long term and without my oilers goggles on.
The mere fact that Connor Brown and Foegele are still playing here is indication the org is reluctant to mess with McD in anyway. McD wanted these players here and wanted to keep these players here. Leads me to believe he either has pull with some personnel decisions or the org just deferring to him.
You don't win with depth. You win with your top players leading the way and the best depth you can afford chipping in. I don't see any scenario where trading Draisaitl makes the team more likely to win. Especially when you factor in how well he has played in the playoffs.

It was a myth last year that Vegas' depth won them the championship. It was one line and an extremely hot goalie that won it for them.

Colorado won because their top end talent was fantastic and by fluke was cheap enough to allow them some extra depth.

In the last 12 years the only team to win without elite players leading the way was St. Louis and they did it on the back of incredible goaltending and a hot streak that they have never come close to duplicating. They are much more the 2006 Oilers with AP instead of Pronger than they are a team you would have bet on at the beginning of the playoffs.
Colorado and Vegas both won SC's and beat us because they have D that are in a whole other class from what we have.

Vegas wasn't deep? They had 6 forwards producing a lot of pts in the playoffs. Their 7th forward in pts, Reilly Smith put up 14pts. Forward lineup so deep Kessel, who several teams would be using wasn't even playing. A team so deep in D they can just roll D pairs with not much worry. Vegas were a team that was deep at every position.

Colorado the same. Both Vegas and Colorado got timely contributions from several supporting production players. Guys like Nichushkin, Karlsson, Smith, finding it at the right time in addition to their core offensive players all being on at the right time.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm more concerned about paying Kane and Nuge $5M than giving Draisaitl a deserved raise.

Cap is going to continue to go up, Salt Lake City seems to be happening either as Coyotes relocation or as Bettman would prefer expansion.

Bouchard has another RFA year left, and that dovetails with Ekholm's last year, it won't be a problem reupping him.

Skinner is cheap for 2 more years and Rodrigue should help the big club on his fiirst cheaper RFA contract

Dumping Drai and going depth makes us worse. Team needs to do a better job of getting players on ELCs or first years of arb to contribute to the big club.
If Kane can score 30 goals a year and provide a physical presence and Nuge can continue to be a large part of the PK and PP, then they are worth the rest of their deals. As for the goaltending, we still have Campbell eating into 5 million a year for another 3 years and Connor Brown getting a whopping bonus next year. Cap will go up, but we're going to be looking at some very large raises in a year or 2, with Drai, McDavid and Bouch all coming up for large increases. It's going to be a challenge.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The mere fact that Connor Brown and Foegele are still playing here is indication the org is reluctant to mess with McD in anyway. McD wanted these players here and wanted to keep these players here. Leads me to believe he either has pull with some personnel decisions or the org just deferring to him.

Colorado and Vegas both won SC's and beat us because they have D that are in a whole other class from what we have.

Vegas wasn't deep? They had 6 forwards producing a lot of pts in the playoffs. Their 7th forward in pts, Reilly Smith put up 14pts. Forward lineup so deep Kessel, who several teams would be using wasn't even playing. A team so deep in D they can just roll D pairs with not much worry. Vegas were a team that was deep at every position.

Colorado the same. Both Vegas and Colorado got timely contributions from several supporting production players. Guys like Nichushkin, Karlsson, Smith, finding it at the right time in addition to their core offensive players all being on at the right time.
I didn't say that Vegas did not have depth. I said that it was primarily one line that did the bulk of the damage especially vs the Oilers. The point was that their best players were the keys to them winning as is almost always the case. Depth can make a difference. But you are not winning because of your depth if your best players are not good enough. And though I did not say so above timely goaltending is also huge. Had Brossoit not been hurt the Oilers probably win that series.

And again, what I said was you win with your best players and the best depth you can afford chipping in. Vegas was fortunate that some of their most significant players were on really cheap deals. This was also the case with Colorado. The OP's post suggesting that the Oilers trade Draisaitl to improve their depth would have been akin to the Avs moving Rantanen when MacKinnon's new deal came up, to keep Kadri and add some minor piece or Vegas trading Eichel this off season to keep Smith and sign a $4.5M second line winger.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Some good points, but how are we going to get better at getting players on ELCs or depth if we cater to the two year window, including this year, when McDrai (and Bouch) are still somewhat affordable?

We either go for it now (which means trading our top prospects & picks)

Or we wait for them to mature and be cheap enough depth when McDrai+Bouch are all being paid $$$$ on their next contracts.

Unless you see some NHL_ready cheap depth available to us right now, we can't do both.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I didn't say that Vegas did not have depth. I said that it was primarily one line that did the bulk of the damage especially vs the Oilers. The point was that their best players were the keys to them winning as is almost always the case. Depth can make a difference. But you are not winning because of your depth if your best players are not good enough. And though I did not say so above timely goaltending is also huge. Had Brossoit not been hurt the Oilers probably win that series.

And again, what I said was you win with your best players and the best depth you can afford chipping in. Vegas was fortunate that some of their most significant players were on really cheap deals. This was also the case with Colorado. The OP's post suggesting that the Oilers trade Draisaitl to improve their depth would have been akin to the Avs moving Rantanen when MacKinnon's new deal came up, to keep Kadri and add some minor piece or Vegas trading Eichel this off season to keep Smith and sign a $4.5M second line winger.
Overall we agree that moving out star players is the problem that this org has had that cannot continue if we hope to have any success at winning. So we agree on that front

In fairness to me your preamble in the post I quoted Was " You don't win with depth" Followed later by "it was a myth last year that Vegas depth won them the championship."

Those are your statements, verbatim, which I responded to. Your wording was confusing.

Even within that your premise is inaccurate. Players like Karlson, Smith etc produced and contributed inordinately to what they had done lately, or even in recent series. Reality is that Vegas had 7 forwards producing. That isn't one line getting it all done, unless maybe you're focusing on Oilers series specifically.

Additionally Vegas having depth in D and in goal were keys to their success. Depth at all positions matters. Invariably it does in the long slog of playoffs.

Mr.Ulanov

Aug 19, 2021
so to sum this up coles notes version:

trade Drai keep nurse.

Solid take........
We keep Nurse because we have no choice i'd prefer to move him but thats not happening. Drai and Bouch are gonna cost us 20 million and that scares the shit outta me.

I like Drai and the current losing weekend has nothing to do with my post. If we keep Drai our already thin roster is going to get alot thinner. I like Drai and if we keep him it'll be entertaining watching us try to build a roster up against the cap because we'kll have to wheel and deal for sure and trades are always fun until they suck lmao.

Hyman and Nuge arent going anywhere so it'll have to be Kane and for all his warts he's still on a 30 goal pace that'll be hard to replace with budget players.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We keep Nurse because we have no choice i'd prefer to move him but thats not happening. Drai and Bouch are gonna cost us 20 million and that scares the shit outta me.

I like Drai and the current losing weekend has nothing to do with my post. If we keep Drai our already thin roster is going to get alot thinner. I like Drai and if we keep him it'll be entertaining watching us try to build a roster up against the cap because we'kll have to wheel and deal for sure and trades are always fun until they suck lmao.

Hyman and Nuge arent going anywhere so it'll have to be Kane and for all his warts he's still on a 30 goal pace that'll be hard to replace with budget players.
You want to keep Nurse and loose Drai and Booch?

I'll be nice.

Nobody really wants Kane. Its why he's here. I like the player when he's on but most teams still think he and Perry are Mr and Mr baggage.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Im really leaning towards a retooling on the fly because I really do believe the Nurse overpay, Campbell contract and now next years Brown contract bonus has closed our window. We just cant afford decent depth to fix our roster holes.

This summer trade Drai to a team that wants to 8 year extension him it then allows us a retool to be able to balance the roster with some depth. we should get a kings ransom for him.

Nurse is a 7 million D-man that needs to be moved. I like him and alot of things he does but not at 9.25. That overpay is 2 depth players or 1 good one. Just like when he bent us over a barrel for that contract its a business and time to move on. Unless the right deal comes along keep him im not taking a loss on the trade.

Find a deal for Campbell and if its to expensive then just buy him out.

If we try to hold the current team Drai and Bouchard contracts are just gonna cost us our depth and we'll continue being a 1st-2nd round playoff team. Were already down 4.5 million minimum next year. The sky isnt falling but moves need to be made this off season to shake up this roster to fix the mistakes made.

This is my first thread dont rake me over the coals to badly lmao.
Dangerous at both ends of the Stanley cup window.

Mr.Ulanov

Aug 19, 2021
You want to keep Nurse and loose Drai and Booch?

I'll be nice.

Nobody really wants Kane. Its why he's here. I like the player when he's on but most teams still think he and Perry are Mr and Mr baggage.
With Drai and Bouch I think it comes down to one or the other. I dont want to keep Nurse no ones taking him though. Perhaps if you can move him though he covers both those guys raises.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He will want more than Matthews deal of that I am near certain.
not sure of that. I could see Drai settling for less to be on the right team. Whether that be here or elsewhere. He's gonna want to be on a contender more than he's gonna want more than Matthews.

That said Drai has been worth far North of his contract the whole time here. Been the real value contract.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
not sure of that. I could see Drai settling for less to be on the right team. Whether that be here or elsewhere. He's gonna want to be on a contender more than he's gonna want more than Matthews.

That said Drai has been worth far North of his contract the whole time here. Been the real value contract.

That’s exactly why I believe he will want to cash out on this deal. His last contract was a vast underpay.

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
This is terrible. Pay to get out of Campbell contract and move on.

Replacement of Nurse with a Nurse level player, if even possible, may save you 1M but you spend assets for marginal capspace saving and potentially a downgrade.

Reactions: Fourier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad