Off season retool

Mr.Ulanov

Aug 19, 2021
Im really leaning towards a retooling on the fly because I really do believe the Nurse overpay, Campbell contract and now next years Brown contract bonus has closed our window. We just cant afford decent depth to fix our roster holes.

This summer trade Drai to a team that wants to 8 year extension him it then allows us a retool to be able to balance the roster with some depth. we should get a kings ransom for him.

Nurse is a 7 million D-man that needs to be moved. I like him and alot of things he does but not at 9.25. That overpay is 2 depth players or 1 good one. Just like when he bent us over a barrel for that contract its a business and time to move on. Unless the right deal comes along keep him im not taking a loss on the trade.

Find a deal for Campbell and if its to expensive then just buy him out.

If we try to hold the current team Drai and Bouchard contracts are just gonna cost us our depth and we'll continue being a 1st-2nd round playoff team. Were already down 4.5 million minimum next year. The sky isnt falling but moves need to be made this off season to shake up this roster to fix the mistakes made.

This is my first thread dont rake me over the coals to badly lmao.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Im really leaning towards a retooling on the fly because I really do believe the Nurse overpay, Campbell contract and now next years Brown contract bonus has closed our window. We just cant afford decent depth to fix our roster holes.

This summer trade Drai to a team that wants to 8 year extension him it then allows us a retool to be able to balance the roster with some depth. we should get a kings ransom for him.

Nurse is a 7 million D-man that needs to be moved. I like him and alot of things he does but not at 9.25. That overpay is 2 depth players or 1 good one. Just like when he bent us over a barrel for that contract its a business and time to move on. Unless the right deal comes along keep him im not taking a loss on the trade.

If we try to hold the current team Drai and Bouchard contracts are just gonna cost us our depth and we'll continue being a 1st-2nd round playoff team. Were already down 4.5 million minimum next year. The sky isnt falling but moves need to be made this off season to shake up this roster to fix the mistakes made.

No close it up, you dont trade Drai

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

What do you think McDavid will do when his contract is up after we've traded his 2 best buddies off the team?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid will not resign if Draisaitl is not here unless the player you are getting back for him is Matthews or Bedard or Makar or something.

Even if a GM wanted to do what you are outlining, Katz personally would say no and that's the end of the discussion.

The only real thing the Oilers have going for them in a major way in keeping Connor is they happen to have another top 5-10 player in the league who McDavid is very close to.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
McDavid will not resign if Draisaitl is not here unless the player you are getting back for him is Matthews or Bedard or Makar or something.

Even if a GM wanted to do what you are outlining, Katz personally would say no and that's the end of the discussion.

The only real thing the Oilers have going for them in a major way in keeping Connor is they happen to have another top 5-10 player in the league who McDavid is very close to.
And his junior coach. And his former agent. And his former stickboy, etc, etc.

Mr.Ulanov

Aug 19, 2021
Drai needs to go or his next 12-13 million dollar contract is gonna be to rich for us and we wont be able to field a roster with any depth like the last 2 years. The way Bouchard is playing he's gettin 7 atleast probably more because Edmonton.

If Mcdavid doesnt like reality what can you really do? I guess we can keep our 9.25 2nd pairing defenceman for him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Trade Drai and theres no reason for McD to stay here.

nurse is moveable but probably with buyback.

Agree we can't afford the next Drai contract but he optics of this org moving or trading yet another superstar are too bad for them to I suspect do it. I wouldn't want to see what this club looks like without him either. Remember who leads this team in playoffs nearly every postseason.

OP, don't take this harshly but make a few posts here and be part of the board before starting random threads. Its not always well received when posters sign up and then just start making thread starts.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010

You do realize Nurse has a NMC don’t you? And therefore would have to consent to ever being traded? Heck, we couldn’t even send him to the minors if we wanted to.

Mr.Ulanov

Aug 19, 2021
You do realize Nurse has a NMC don’t you? And therefore would have to consent to ever being traded? Heck, we couldn’t even send him to the minors if we wanted to.
Yeah your right no chance Nurse gets moved and Its not really nessasary tbh.

Mr.Ulanov

Aug 19, 2021

Agree we can't afford the next Drai contract but he optics of this org moving or trading yet another superstar are too bad for them to I suspect do it. I wouldn't want to see what this club looks like without him either. Remember who leads this team in playoffs nearly every postseason.

OP, don't take this harshly but make a few posts here and be part of the board before starting random threads. Its not always well received when posters sign up and then just start making thread starts.
At the end of the day Mcdavid is a professional and if we dont mess up building a roster post Drai and Campbell with 12 million dollars why would he leave. That doesnt even take into account many other moves that could be made. Kulak, Foegle, Kane.

Mcdavid will still have guys like Nurse, Hopkins Hyman and whoever else on the roster he's close with.

I wont take it wrong posting a thread as a 3 year lurker. People can choose to take part in a discussion or not just posting an opinion. People love Drai and I like him as well he's a great player but i'm thinking long term and without my oilers goggles on.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

There doesn’t seem to be a reason for McDavid to stay here regardless.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
At the end of the day Mcdavid is a professional and if we dont mess up building a roster post Drai and Campbell with 12 million dollars why would he leave. That doesnt even take into account many other moves that could be made. Kulak, Foegle, Kane.

Mcdavid will still have guys like Nurse, Hopkins Hyman and whoever else on the roster he's close with.

I wont take it wrong posting a thread as a 3 year lurker. People can choose to take part in a discussion or not just posting an opinion. People love Drai and I like him as well he's a great player but i'm thinking long term and without my oilers goggles on.
I get your point, and at some point in time, this organization is going to have to make some hard decisions. As you say, Drai will command a large increase, as will Bouch. Then you throw in the dead cap space of a goalie not even playing for us, and a huge bonus coming up for a player that hasn't scored to 2 years, and for sure, we're in some trouble. Nurse continues to draw a huge cap based on his 16 goal performance during the pandemic and the Canadian division, when he feasted on the lowly Senators. And finally you have McDavid, who will command a huge salary. And if guys get traded, McDavid will have to make the decision to whether he believes those trades will help the team and increase the chances of a cup, or that he will leave because one of his buddies were moved in the process. Holland has spent the last couple years bailing himself out of trouble by dumping draft picks and prospects to move bad signings. That eventually will catch up to him. He'd better hope that salary cap jumps exponentially every year to save us, although he won't be around to see that. That ultimately will be Jeff Jackson's problem, or whoever they get to replace him if it comes to that.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
What do you think McDavid will do when his contract is up after we've traded his 2 best buddies off the team?
This imo unfounded fear is what lead to us giving Nurse that terrible contract in the first place. It's going to inevitably make McDavid leave due to no cup and no spending money. It's gonna be Hall, Nuge, Eberle all over again where we are stuck with the least valuable asset. No McD, no Drai, but Nurse remains to ice the puck for all eternity and get completely outwitted in the playoffs.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This imo unfounded fear is what lead to us giving Nurse that terrible contract in the first place. It's going to inevitably make McDavid leave due to no cup and no spending money. It's gonna be Hall, Nuge, Eberle all over again where we are stuck with the least valuable asset. No McD, no Drai, but Nurse remains to ice the puck for all eternity and get completely outwitted in the playoffs.
Lol, you do have some valid points.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
This place gets really “dark” after a few losses versus looking to solutions to the immediate issues. No to rebuild and McDavid has reason to stay. He’s not a quitter. He’s never shown that aspect of character. Management needs to stop making collosal mistakes, followed by fatal errors , followed by self inflicted stupidity.
There doesn’t seem to be a reason for McDavid to stay here regardless.
1708908323862.gif

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I think the oilers should at least be testing the waters, its fine to have a top heavy roster when when winning but this roster is good enough and aren't getting it done.

Reactions: rec28

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Same handful of sorry ass posters take it 'McDavid is leaving' levels after a three game skid. It's embarrassing.

Trading Draisaitl, while logically sound, isn't likely to happen unless he makes it known that he's going to sign elsewhere as a UFA. This team is built around this core of players. There will be cap space available to fit his and McDavid's extensions when they are required.

And when it comes to the roster holes, these are always hilariously overstated in times when the team strings together poor efforts. Year over year they've added to the active roster. We're not at the point where we've needed to shed contributing depth to be cap compliant.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
This place gets really “dark” after a few losses versus looking to solutions to the immediate issues. No to rebuild and McDavid has reason to stay. He’s not a quitter. He’s never shown that aspect of character. Management needs to stop making collosal mistakes, followed by fatal errors , followed by self inflicted stupidity.

View attachment 825326
It'll only get worse

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If Drai wants 14M+ I would trade him to BOS or OTT if the return is good. Should be able to plug multiple holes on the team.
Eg. Swayman+Carlo
McDavid won't automatically leave if the team improves

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
With how tight we will be to the cap for next season I think we see a Campbell buyout, Ceci and Kulak traded, lose Foegele and Desharnais to free agency. We'll fill the lineup holes with players currently in the AHL and some cheap free agents on 1 year deals. Draisaitl signs a long term deal.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
See if they make the playoffs and see how Drai does. If he's on a slow decline, you have to get a haul for him if the opportunity develops. Remember Gretzky and Messier handled the breakup.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
If we were to move on from Drai I wonder if a Drai for Petterson swap makes sense. They'll make similar money, Petterson is 3 years younger.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Drai needs to go or his next 12-13 million dollar contract is gonna be to rich for us and we wont be able to field a roster with any depth like the last 2 years. The way Bouchard is playing he's gettin 7 atleast probably more because Edmonton.

If Mcdavid doesnt like reality what can you really do? I guess we can keep our 9.25 2nd pairing defenceman for him.
That is why you have a two year window.

Sorry to break it to ya'll

IMO time to add a big fish and go for it. Who gives a crap about Broberg

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You don't win with depth. You win with your top players leading the way and the best depth you can afford chipping in. I don't see any scenario where trading Draisaitl makes the team more likely to win. Especially when you factor in how well he has played in the playoffs.

It was a myth last year that Vegas' depth won them the championship. It was one line and an extremely hot goalie that won it for them.

Colorado won because their top end talent was fantastic and by fluke was cheap enough to allow them some extra depth.

In the last 12 years the only team to win without elite players leading the way was St. Louis and they did it on the back of incredible goaltending and a hot streak that they have never come close to duplicating. They are much more the 2006 Oilers with AP instead of Pronger than they are a team you would have bet on at the beginning of the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad