Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VI: I declare this the summer of George!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I'm also hoping that with the pandemic and teams not wanting to spend as much we may be able to fill out bench bats with better quality than in a normal year.

The void seems to be a legitimate #2 starter right now. I'm not even certain we have a #3 either. Bauer and Walker would do nicely.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I'm also hoping that with the pandemic and teams not wanting to spend as much we may be able to fill out bench bats with better quality than in a normal year.

The void seems to be a legitimate #2 starter right now. I'm not even certain we have a #3 either. Bauer and Walker would do nicely.

I am REALLY surprised we didn't go for Bauer. I know he is looking for too much money but I would have at least put in a competitive offer.

I mean he represents our biggest need.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Your living a pipe dream if you think Bauer is coming to Toronto.

He’s holding out for New York or LA. Toronto will focus on next tier to fill void in rotation.

Look for another pitcher being added in the next 48 hours.

Reactions: howlman

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I love how fans on twitter are losing their shit like Jays were allowed to do one move this offseason and this was it.
I mean, I don't love it but I'm not exactly outraged. He'll just be another guy in the pen that likely won't be heavily relied on. There's definitely a big move coming for another starter.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013

He’s holding out for New York or LA. Toronto will focus on next tier to fill void in rotation.

I think he would come if we offered the right numbers.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

I don't think Bauer wants to come to Toronto either. However, my point was the Jays do have room if Bauer wanted to. The only way I think Bauer would come is if the Jays overpaid significantly which I hope they don't do.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Odds were he was never coming here. That being said, his options are limited. The Angels are out and the Mets dont wanna go over the luxury tax.

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Odds were he was never coming here. That being said, his options are limited. The Angels are out and the Mets dont wanna go over the luxury tax.

Agreed.

His best move would be to sign with us as we have a better lineup, pen, and farm system than the Mets.

We just need starting pitching.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I don't understand anyone complaining about the Matz trade. Hes had 3 pretty solid seasons, proven before can pitch in the bigs and is a rental. Same goes for Semien and his bat/glove. I put much less stock into a shortened season and how veterans players reacted to it... The Jay's are using their financial flexibility and muscle and we gave up on 3 players who likely had no future here. Matz has proven more at the major league level than any of the players traded have. Lots of time to make moves and leave options open to move players and prospects at the deadline if we need to.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
One of the most underrated pitchers in baseball
Based on his 2020 stats alone, one would predict the mystery pitcher to post a 4.23 ERA in 2021. That would make him a slightly above average pitcher!

In 2020, he had an ugly 9.68 ERA and 7.76 FIP.

His xFIP (4.15) and SIERA (4.05), on the other hand, were decent.

The mystery pitcher is Steven Matz, who was just traded from the Mets to the Blue Jays.
newplot.png

This is a really nice pickup for Toronto, a team that is likely getting an underrated No. 4 starter in Steven Matz, so Hatz off to them.

Reactions: DT

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Did the Matz trade use up our remaining budget, prospect capital or trade partners?

Of course not.

It's just a tad frustrating to keep having the same issues and not fix them, at least yet.

I just want to see us pound some Yankee ass! Lol

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Of course not.

It's just a tad frustrating to keep having the same issues and not fix them, at least yet.

I just want to see us pound some Yankee ass! Lol
Maybe you need to be watching something else if you want to get off with instant gratification watching people get their ass pounded.

Reactions: zeke

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
People losing their mind over Matz LMAO!! What an epic offseason for Shapkins thus far, and they ain't even close to done. From the presser today safe to say a few things: Bauer isn't happening, Jays value their A and B prospects big time aren't moving them anytime soon, Jays could get creative with a Roark/Grichuk type trade, we are signing another starting pitcher ala Paxton/Odorizzi/Walker someone in that tier lots still available. Jays in full command this offseason. Thank you Rogers

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I'm not a fan of the opener but it looks like Matz is a prime candidate for that. He can to pitch 3-4 innings after the opener;

SplitGIPERERAtOPS+
1st inning107105.2746.3134
2nd inning105103.2413.5690
3rd inning102101.2474.1698
4th inning9795393.6989
5th inning8985.2383.9979
6th inning7360.1304.48110
7th inning2722104.0985
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

But the 2nd inning would be the first inning for him. Looks like he just takes a while to warm.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Man. Bauer had only been good like 19% of his career and has been around a 4.18 ERA and a career of 3.90 average.

He has only been elite for just over 1 year of his career.

Also nobody but the Mets are willing to pay him 36 million per year. That is a ton of money for his resume.

I like him still and think he could be good but not at that $$ amount.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
But the 2nd inning would be the first inning for him. Looks like he just takes a while to warm.

Perhaps but the thing with the opener is you put a pitcher to get the top of the order out. The pitcher piggybacking in the 2nd inning likely would have to face players further down the lineup the first time around and likely won’t face the top of the order more than twice. It’s why the 3rd inning might be a problem for him in comparison to other innings because he is pitching to the top of the order for the first time.

To the best of my knowledge, that’s the purpose of the opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad