Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt V: Spring(er) has Sprung: Jays sign OF George Springer (6y/$150m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Im only posting facts as I see it posted on the board. I didnt make that up, you did if indeed it fake. Your credibility just went for a dump if you did so.

Im out have to get to work.
Honestly even if you are making all of this up, I respect the commitment to the bit so much.

it's really a win-win for me. Hopefully we see a Cincinnati trade go through soon just to add some fuel to the fire.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Tanaka is a close friend of mine. He just said he's packing his bags for Dunedin. True story.

I know someone in the Ryu family and apparently he's considering signing a 4 year deal in Toronto for 80 million dollars. I'm pretty sure I'm the first to report this. Haven't seen it reported anywhere else :sarcasm:

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I believe BlueForever has insider information. I enjoy hearing what he has to say. If you don’t, use the ignore button. No need to ridicule him.
Seriously.

A few guys just going on and on about it. Who gives a crap?

It’s really not surprising though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ER89 and smitty10

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Latest On Trevor Bauer
JAN. 21: It’s “believed” that the Mets and Angels have the best chance to land Bauer..
From the start of free agency I've never sensed the Jays were as hot after Bauer as some might have hoped. At least not in any way close to the way they went after Springer. I think they may end up going in another direction. Maybe Tanaka + Paxton to take the Yankees legs out from under them?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Latest On Trevor Bauer

From the start of free agency I've never sensed the Jays were as hot after Bauer as some might have hoped. At least not in any way close to the way they went after Springer. I think they may end up going in another direction. Maybe Tanaka + Paxton to take the Yankees legs out from under them?

I'd say if they were letting their pitching coach meet Bauer then they were pretty serious.

I think his addition makes us the top team on our division.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'd say if they were letting their pitching coach meet Bauer then they were pretty serious.

I think his addition makes us the top team on our division.
Could just be due diligence. I'd read more into it if it wasn't just a Zoom call.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I know someone in the Ryu family and apparently he's considering signing a 4 year deal in Toronto for 80 million dollars. I'm pretty sure I'm the first to report this. Haven't seen it reported anywhere else :sarcasm:
Hilarious. Everyone is laughing. So creative. So many likes on your post.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Guys...don’t we get it enough from outsiders being Toronto sports fans? Do we really need to be stickin it to each other in here?

Most important news of the day is my Grandma, avid Jays fan since inception, is recovering from COVID after a very scary few days.

I can’t wait to call her this weekend and talk about Springer and hopefully signing a pitcher.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Guys...don’t we get it enough from outsiders being Toronto sports fans? Do we really need to be stickin it to each other in here?

Most important news of the day is my Grandma, avid Jays fan since inception, is recovering from COVID after a very scary few days.

I can’t wait to call her this weekend and talk about Springer and hopefully signing a pitcher.

Godspeed her health!!

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Hmm gonna need some sources. Don't ask for mine though, I install fibre for Rogers. Speaks for itself.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

It's all in good fun man(talking smack). Grandma Critical will be spoiling you again with cookies and old candy before you know it.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada

I wish you a great convo with your Grandma! In the end, that's the most important thing going on in free agency.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My sources in Rogers tell me that the Jays are on the verge of a blockbuster deal that would see us acquire Kawhi Leonard and Nathan Mackinnon.

Montoyo is apparently a very big fan of Kawhi and thinks he would be the perfect 4 inning starter behind Robbie Ray in a playoff game. For those who aren't familiar with him, Kawhi is notorious for his famous "clawball" pitch.

MacKinnon has a long history with the Jays organization, sharing ancestors with Ross Atkins from 300,000 years ago.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Blue Jays To Sign George Springer - MLB Trade Rumors

The Springer signing will have draft-related ramifications for both the Blue Jays and Astros in 2021. Because Houston gave Springer an $18.9MM qualifying offer (which he rejected), the team will receive a fourth-round pick as compensation for his departure. For signing Springer, Toronto will surrender the No. 54 overall pick in next summer’s draft and $500K in international bonus pool money. The pick probably isn’t going to do much to make up for Springer’s exit for the Astros, though, and the Jays likely aren’t upset to lose the selection and pool money in exchange for one of baseball’s best outfielders.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
My sources in Rogers tell me that the Jays are on the verge of a blockbuster deal that would see us acquire Kawhi Leonard and Nathan Mackinnon.

Montoyo is apparently a very big fan of Kawhi and thinks he would be the perfect 4 inning starter behind Robbie Ray in a playoff game. For those who aren't familiar with him, Kawhi is notorious for his famous "clawball" pitch.

MacKinnon has a long history with the Jays organization, sharing ancestors with Ross Atkins from 300,000 years ago.

Now that you mentioned Montoyo — Shapiro and Atkins still hold on to the belief this guy is the right person to manage this team and take it to the next level? Yikes. I wish they could send him and his Rays affinity with super weird managerial decisions back to Tampa Bay. Very pleasant guy, though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Now that you mentioned Montoyo — Shapiro and Atkins still hold on to the belief this guy is the right person to manage this team and take it to the next level? Yikes. I wish they could send him and his Rays affinity with super weird managerial decisions back to Tampa Bay. Very pleasant guy, though.

I think if he doesn't get results this year his job security may be in question.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Montoyo coached newly acquired Kirby Yates when he was an All Star for the Rays Triple A affiliate, the Durham Bulls.

That is all.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I mean, how many of these decisions is he really making?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You build championship teams up the middle, Catcher, pitching, 2B, SS, CF.

We now have one of the best CF in the league. Arguably the best catcher in the league, is avail, J.T. Realmuto, he's a great pitch framer, that alone will improve our SP and relievers, he's a good power hitter. We have real quality depth at the catching position, something that is simply not avail in the UFA market. Sign J.T., trade McGuire, Kirk or whoever for some starting pitching, Sonny Gray is rumored to be avail, I don't think he would cost us a boatload. He would slot in nicely at the 3 spot. Bauer is a pipe dream but he'd look great in the 1 spot, Ryu in the 2 spot, Gray in the 3 spot, if Ray can find the strike zone again, he's can have dominant stuff, would be a great #4 and Pearson at #5 who throws 100mph stuff.

IMO Jays are still the 3rd best team in the AL East, even with Springer. Our pitching needs considerable improvement.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Especially considering Bauer is open to shorter deals. You may not need to give him crazy term.

He may be open to a deal of 1, 2 or 3 years which would work well for us.

Bauer is from South Cali, one of the billion insiders on mlb.com mentioned LA offered a deal around 3 years with big money attached and Bauer declined.

If I'm Bauer I'm taking my time to see where JT signs, if he signs in Atlanta or another contender, I'm headed there too. People underestimate the impact a great catcher can have on a pitcher. You get an elite ball framer like JT, who consistently, frames balls into strikes, like JT does and you are instantly pitching more often ahead of the count than behind. Back up the Brinks truck for JTR....

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
You build championship teams up the middle, Catcher, pitching, 2B, SS, CF.

We now have one of the best CF in the league. Arguably the best catcher in the league, is avail, J.T. Realmuto, he's a great pitch framer, that alone will improve our SP and relievers, he's a good power hitter. We have real quality depth at the catching position, something that is simply not avail in the UFA market. Sign J.T., trade McGuire, Kirk or whoever for some starting pitching, Sonny Gray is rumored to be avail, I don't think he would cost us a boatload. He would slot in nicely at the 3 spot. Bauer is a pipe dream but he'd look great in the 1 spot, Ryu in the 2 spot, Gray in the 3 spot, if Ray can find the strike zone again, he's can have dominant stuff, would be a great #4 and Pearson at #5 who throws 100mph stuff.

IMO Jays are still the 3rd best team in the AL East, even with Springer. Our pitching needs considerable improvement.

You'd be wrong. And Jansen is a good defensive catcher, I'd rather leave this offseason with

Bauer+Tanaka/Paxton and keeping Jansen

vs

Realmuto + whoever we acquire trading Jansen (hint...it won't be as good as Bauer)

When you're building a championship team, it's important to make sure you have as much talent in the rotation as possible. Gray is a a decent pitcher but you do realize he has terrible numbers against every AL East team except the Jays right? Has a career era over 4 against the Yankees, Rays and O's, and an ERA over 6 against the Red Sox. You only have 5 spots in your rotation, you have an ace (Ryu) and another potential ace (Pearson), go after premium guys like Bauer or Castillo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad