Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt III | Winter meetings are over. Still waiting for stuff to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love a Francisco Lindor Trade

The Toronto Blue Jays have long been linked to Lindor, well beyond even this winter and the Blue Jays reported plans of going “all in”. It makes sense that Toronto has kicked tires on Lindor this winter. Of course, there is the Mark Shapiro/Ross Atkins Cleveland connection that many fans will point to, but there is also the fact that Lindor famously grew up a huge fan of Roberto Alomar and wears the number 12 in honour of the Hall of Famer. Alomar played the bulk of his career with the Blue Jays and has consistently been involved with the team in his post-playing days, appearing frequently at fan events and even participating in past Blue Jays Winter Tours. It’s hardly difficult to fathom that Lindor and Alomar have been in contact in the past and one would imagine that Alomar has had nothing but good things to say about Toronto. Lindor himself seems willing to sign an extension with the Blue Jays per sources connected to Cleveland, which is nothing if not an encouraging sign.

Reactions: weems

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Gabriel Moreno is also slashing .382/.462/.529 in winter ball so far through 10 games.

Also, our minor league hitting coordinator had this to say about Moreno at the alternate training site:

He’s a completely under-the-radar guy, and he was the best hitter in Rochester. He has among the best bat-to-ball skills in the organization. Moreno reminds me of Bo (Bichette) – he makes contact, and he knows that he can hit pitches outside of the strike zone. Sometimes, he’ll lay off a pitch in a spot that he knows he can’t do much with, then go after one out of the zone because he knows he can drive it. When Nate Pearson came to Rochester, Moreno turned on a 98 fastball about 6 inches off the plate. He drove it down the line just foul, with an exit velo of 105.​

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Frankie Lindor willing to sign an extension with the Jays... will take Gurriel plus... decisions decisions
More than happy if he is willing to do that. But we shouldn't pay the price to get him with the extension.

Pay for the 1 year rental and then when you sign him it's a bonus.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
If the price is too high on Lindor I'm happy signing Kim to play a super utility role and wait till next summer to sign a guy.

If I can though I'm countering Gurriel with Teo + prospect. Cleveland doesn't have a ton of leverage as they can barely afford to pay Lindor his 2020 salary according to sources.

Gurriel is the more consistent all-around player, but Teo's exit velos are star-level if he puts it together. That's the trade off.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Gabriel Moreno is also slashing .382/.462/.529 in winter ball so far through 10 games.

Also, our minor league hitting coordinator had this to say about Moreno at the alternate training site:

He’s a completely under-the-radar guy, and he was the best hitter in Rochester. He has among the best bat-to-ball skills in the organization. Moreno reminds me of Bo (Bichette) – he makes contact, and he knows that he can hit pitches outside of the strike zone. Sometimes, he’ll lay off a pitch in a spot that he knows he can’t do much with, then go after one out of the zone because he knows he can drive it. When Nate Pearson came to Rochester, Moreno turned on a 98 fastball about 6 inches off the plate. He drove it down the line just foul, with an exit velo of 105.​

Is there a high level Jays prospect who doesn't have the Bautista/Donaldson leg kick? :D

Reactions: Beleafer34

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If the price is too high on Lindor I'm happy signing Kim to play a super utility role and wait till next summer to sign a guy.

If I can though I'm countering Gurriel with Teo + prospect. Cleveland doesn't have a ton of leverage as they can barely afford to pay Lindor his 2020 salary according to sources.

Gurriel is the more consistent all-around player, but Teo's exit velos are star-level if he puts it together. That's the trade off.

I'm countering with just prospects as the main pieces.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
MLB rumors: With Yankees, DJ LeMahieu $25M apart, Blue Jays ‘desperately want’ batting champ
Out of all the names being rumored with the Blue Jays, I feel like this is the one that the Jays are being used the most for leverage purposes. Here are a few interesting quotes from this article at NJ.com by Randy Miller.

"”He wants five years, $100 million,” Nightengale said Friday night on MLB Network’s Baseball Tonight. “The Yankees are more interested in four years around $75 million. They can split the difference.”" - Bob Nightengale, USA Today

"“I know for a fact from people I know in Toronto that the Blue Jays desperately want him,” Kay said Friday on his ESPN radio show. “And they’ve got a lot of infielders, too. They desperately want him." - Michael Kay, Yankees Broadcaster

It sounds like LeMahieu's agent is trying to drive up his price and force the Yankees' hand. I mean, I am sure the Blue Jays have interest but for $100-110mil? I don't see it. That is a lot of money for a guy that seems to have his heart set on staying in NY. The Blue Jays need a 3B but there are cheaper options on the market that could fill in that hole (or internal candidates) and allow them to fix bigger holes (CF or SP).

Sounds like the Jays desperately want to drive up the price of LeMahieu for the Yankees.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Depending on the market, it's not impossible we walk away with 3 elite talents.

With a little wiggling, maybe we could even pull something like:
DH - Teoscar
LF - Gurriel
CF - JBJ
RF - Grichuk
3B - Vlad/Kim
SS - Bo
2B - Lemahieu
1B - Tellez/Vlad
Sub - Biggio

SP - Bauer
SP - Ryu
SP - Pearson
SP - Ray
SP - Kluber/Paxton

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
MLB rumors: With Yankees, DJ LeMahieu $25M apart, Blue Jays ‘desperately want’ batting champ

Sounds like the Jays desperately want to drive up the price of LeMahieu for the Yankees.

I mean, if I was the Jays one of my major goals for the off season would be using my big stacks of cash to make the off-season miserable for my competitors.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Depending on the market, it's not impossible we walk away with 3 elite talents.

With a little wiggling, maybe we could even pull something like:
DH - Teoscar
LF - Gurriel
CF - JBJ
RF - Grichuk
3B - Vlad/Kim
SS - Bo
2B - Lemahieu
1B - Tellez/Vlad
Sub - Biggio

SP - Bauer
SP - Ryu
SP - Pearson
SP - Ray
SP - Kluber/Paxton

Biggio should be in RF over Grichcuk in that scenario but overall I like it

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I mean, if I was the Jays one of my major goals for the off season would be using my big stacks of cash to make the off-season miserable for my competitors.

My list in order.

1) Bauer
2) LeMahieu
3) Springer

I also like the idea of Walker, JBJ or Odorizzi on short term deals

Lindor for a major roster piece like LGJ doesn't interest me at all

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
If we can get Lindor (or "Frankie" as every guy with a microphone now seems to like to call him) to agree to an extension,, surely a package of Gurriel, Manoah, and Hiraldo would get it done?

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
No disrespect to Gurriel, but if he is the principal piece in a trade for Lindor you do it... There is really no comparison between the two. This of course assumes you can resign Lindor.

Sure. Gurriel is great. But his contract is even greater. Right up Cleveland's ally.

There should be no parting with SWR or Martinez. Plus the obvious ones...

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
If we can get Lindor (or "Frankie" as every guy with a microphone now seems to like to call him) to agree to an extension,, surely a package of Gurriel, Manoah, and Hiraldo would get it done?
Too much for me. After Gurriel it has to be insignificant lottery prospects of sorts.

Reactions: BigBlu and Morgs

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Well I was hoping. But I think the extension will drive up the price.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ace maybe moving? Where he could land
Snell stays in AL East, gives Blue Jays a pair of aces

Blue Jays get: LHP Blake Snell, OF Manuel Margot
Rays get: SS Jordan Groshans
(MLB’s No. 70 prospect), C Danny Jansen, RHP Alek Manoah (Blue Jays’ No. 5 prospect)

Why it could work: The Rays get a nice haul, while the Blue Jays get a top starting pitcher to pair with Hyun Jin Ryu, as well as a defensive upgrade in center field. There’s some question about whether Groshans will be able to stick at shortstop, but with Willy Adames and MLB Pipeline’s No. 1 overall prospect Wander Franco in the fold, that’s not a concern. The No. 12 overall pick in the 2018 MLB Draft, Groshans has a high offensive ceiling, and he could eventually take over at third base. Manoah, the other big prospect in this trade, has a solid three-pitch mix that includes a fastball in the 94-97 mph range. The Rays also receive a controllable catcher in Jansen at a time when they have only one backstop -- Ronaldo Hernandez, a 23-year-old with no experience above Class A Advanced -- on the 40-man roster.
It’s a hefty price, but the Blue Jays may be willing to pay it. They have a surplus of talented young shortstops, catchers and pitchers, and this trade doesn’t require them to surrender right-hander Nate Pearson (MLB’s No. 6 prospect), shortstop/outfielder Austin Martin (No. 16), righty Simeon Woods Richardson (No. 93) or catcher Alejandro Kirk (Blue Jays’ No. 6 prospect).

Who says no? The Blue Jays. It would be close, but Toronto would likely balk at giving up two of its top-five prospects in one trade.
-- Thomas Harrigan

Thats a no from me dawg.

Maybe if the Jays window was closing and we were one pitcher away. But no interest in trading 3 premium prospects in 1 deal no matter how good Snell is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad