Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 13th: Report - Dickey extended, trade just pending physicals

Status
Not open for further replies.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Buck was good in the playoffs because he was relegated to color commentary, something he's actually suited for. He's still not a great PBP guy. And in my ideal world, Zaun would take the radio color duties and do some panel work (Zaun's strengths are in-game analysis. Xs and Os type stuff. It's when the panel discussion starts giving him front-office topics to talk about that he goes off the rails into stupidtown) and Hayhurst becoming the in-game studio guy with Campbell.

:laugh: love "stupidtown"... so appropriate.

I think they could adjust the panel if they gave Zaun the radio job, which I think he is suited for.

Hayhurst, maybe Jose Cruz Jr... who filled in a few times last year, wasn't bad.

Heck Joe Carter called alot of games back in the day but has been out since working for the cubs in the mid 2000's.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I'm not a big fan of Lind, but you have to hope that with the strength of the rest of the Blue Jays lineup, Lind will face some easier pitches. I don't think .250 / 25 / 80 are too far-fetched.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
so apparently the jays will be throwing an immediate signing bonus into the deal, frontloading the 30M over 3 years.

this is significant because of the fiscal cliff thing in the US, where taxes are expected to go up ~4.5% for the rich. Also, considering in NYC dickey had to pay federal, state, and city income taxes and some of the highest property tax in the country (or high rent, whatever he chose), it actually makes sense that by giving him this signing bonus the jays were able to bring his price down from what he was asking from the mets.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Love it, change two things.

I kind of want to see Bonifacio at 2nd base, it will be him or Izturis for sure. Also, do you think there's a chance we could trade Cecil for another 1 or 2 inning guy lefty?

Izturis will be the regular 2B. Bonifacio has more value as a super sub. and there's no point in trading Cecil for a short relief lefty/LOOGY type, as that would be the rule that Cecil can fill on his own.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Love it, change two things.

I kind of want to see Bonifacio at 2nd base, it will be him or Izturis for sure. Also, do you think there's a chance we could trade Cecil for another 1 or 2 inning guy lefty?

Maicer will be the everyday 2nd baseman. Bonifacio will fill in and get a lot of time playing elsewhere as well. He'll be beneficial as a bench player because of how well he can pinch hit/run. He'll be very valuable to this team in that role.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
Izturis will be the regular 2B. Bonifacio has more value as a super sub. and there's no point in trading Cecil for a short relief lefty/LOOGY type, as that would be the rule that Cecil can fill on his own.

Unless you can move him for a guy with options so you can send him down.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I get this feeling, that we are hearing both D'Anaurd's and Syndergaard's names is because AA said take one or the other. I mean, last we heard the only reason he was willing to put D'Anaurd in is because Dickey came with an extension.

227cd15f-dbd3-4d38-8046-1de7800f0cc6.jpg

:laugh:

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I get this feeling, that we are hearing both D'Anaurd's and Syndergaard's names is because AA said take one or the other. I mean, last we heard the only reason he was willing to put D'Anaurd in is because Dickey came with an extension.

So I wonder if AA talked him into taking Syndergaard instead because of D'anaurds injuries.

IDK, just seems weird that AA would give arguably our top 2 prospects for Dickey, when we could likely get a younger pitcher.

That said, I am ESTATIC with Dickey. I remember saying getting Josh Johnson was a pipe dream, and not only do we have him, we have MB, Dickey, Reyes, Cabrera

Unreal

If you want a young controllable well above average pitcher, you aren't trading D'Arnaud. You are trading Brett Lawrie.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Now, guys, i think we are set.

Right now, i just hope everyone will stay heatlhy and perform well! Crossed fingers!

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I think it'll be:

1. Johnson
2. Dickey
3. Morrow
4. Buerhle
5. Romero

This does seem to slowly be becoming the consensus around here (with Morrow and Johnson being flipped, of course). I'd be pretty happy with that setup, though I think Johnson and Morrow are so similar that you start with Morrow since he's been on the Jays for longer.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
A platoon of Izturis and Bonifacio could be successful. Bonifacio hits lefties better than righties, and Maicer hits righties better than lefties.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
They'll split up Buerhle and Romero... they won't go Righty, righty, righty, lefty, lefty. Beurhle or Romero will be 3 and the other will be 5.

I really don't get the righty/lefty thing in the rotation, honestly. It's not like a single game batting line up, there's no real issue with having the same hand pitching on consecutive days that I can see.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Buck was good in the playoffs because he was relegated to color commentary, something he's actually suited for. He's still not a great PBP guy. And in my ideal world, Zaun would take the radio color duties and do some panel work (Zaun's strengths are in-game analysis. Xs and Os type stuff. It's when the panel discussion starts giving him front-office topics to talk about that he goes off the rails into stupidtown) and Hayhurst becoming the in-game studio guy with Campbell.

I have this strange feeling that Zaun will eventually be groomed to replaced Buck. It scares me, but at the same time, would be thoroughly entertaining. :laugh:

So is Villanueva not coming back? If he did it'd be nice to see Cecil moved.

He wants to be a starter, something we can't provide him.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
A platoon of Izturis and Bonifacio could be successful. Bonifacio hits lefties better than righties, and Maicer hits righties better than lefties.

I think we'll see 110gp by both of them.

Between one of them starting at 2b and filling it at every position on the diamond except 1st and C... they'll have plenty of ab's.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I have this strange feeling that Zaun will eventually be groomed to replaced Buck. It scares me, but at the same time, would be thoroughly entertaining. :laugh:

He wants to be a starter, something we can't provide him.

Maybe he could get a job as a 4 or 5 guy with Pittsburgh, KC or Seattle?

91Kadri91*

Bonifacio had a wRC+ of 37 against lefties this year, compared to a wRC+ of 99 against righties. To be fair though, over his career, Bonifacio has hit lefties better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad