Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 13th: Report - Dickey extended, trade just pending physicals

Status
Not open for further replies.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
This team needs Brian Wilson, and Santos can be put in the pen, what to do about Casey..

edit: Throw Janssen in the pen too

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Taking a step back and looking at your roster the Jays are a LH 1B and a LOOGY away from being perfect.
Lind was good after his stint in the minors. Not Edwin good, but good.

Lind started slacking when Murphy became hitting coach. I think Mottola will help Lind out a lot.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
If Lind gets to a point where he's really struggling we could always run with EE at 1B and one of Izturis/Bonifacio at DH (whichever isnt playing 2B).

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
In theory they have the LOOGY (and more) if Oliver comes back. And failing that, Delabar can function as a sort of off-beat LOOGY (his fastball/splitter combo plays very well off lefties, to the point where his R/L splits favor him against lefty batters even though he's a righty) and Loup can potentially fill the role too. For that matter, so can Cecil.

Really, they're good for LOOGY purposes. They just need someone to fill the 1B or DH role (with Encarnacion taking the other spot)

Why are people suggesting this? Because no one likes Lind?

I have to admit, I am as frustrated as others with him, but this season is a fresh start. He finishedlast season as one of our better hitters I believe. Also didn't Mottola work closely with him when he was in Las Vegas to revamp his swing? Interesed to see what he can do on the big club.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
I think you need to take a look around the league and see how bad catchers are on average. Arencibia is easily a top 20 catcher in the league and that's selling him short
We've done this already countless times and its been proven that he's one of the worst in the league in every statistic besides power numbers.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
We cant trade JPA, because then what would MLSE do with the 10,000 JPA Bobbleheads that have been produced for his bobble head night! Cant waste that coin!

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I think you need to take a look around the league and see how bad catchers are on average. Arencibia is easily a top 20 catcher in the league and that's selling him short

Offensively just based on his power sure. Add in his sub par D and no he isnt even a top 20 catcher.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Well I think you can't keep Gose on the list out of convenience.

Outside of that, only Sanchez, Osuna and Nolin have any real professional experience where you could say they are "good prospects" the rest are just projections of pre-draft tools which could come crashing down once they start to play pro ball.

Gose should have never been called up last season and will start this season in AAA. I understand certain sites have prospect guidelines for top 10 lists but Gose is still very much a "prospect".

The point is we still have talent in the system. Hech if one of Hutchison or Drabek actually make it back sucessfully we be laughing.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
Why are people suggesting this? Because no one likes Lind?

I have to admit, I am as frustrated as others with him, but this season is a fresh start. He finishedlast season as one of our better hitters I believe. Also didn't Mottola work closely with him when he was in Las Vegas to revamp his swing? Interesed to see what he can do on the big club.
Because since 2009 he's gotten progressively worse which even led to a stint in Las Vegas last year. He did play a lot better after getting called up, but if he starts to struggle again his days'll be numbered in T.O.

The Fuhr*

I'm not mad about moving prospects.. The Jays will be raking in cash as they should be an elite franchise.

Going forward they will be able to sustain a 160 million dollar payroll.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
I'm sorry can someone please explain to me exactly what would be wrong with Edwin at 1B and Cooper at DH? Or hell even Lind at DH?

Again, you can't be stacked at every single position. But people seem to totally disregard Cooper, I thought he looked pretty good last season in his brief auditions.

91Kadri91*

It has been proven time and time again that Arencibia has been below-average both offensively, and defensively.

Instead of proving that he's below-average once again, I'd like to see you try to prove that he's above-average (or even average) using meaningful statistics.

I absolutely guarantee you can't.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The weird thing is that Thole looks eerily similar to Arencibia. Too bad we didn't still have Gomes. Could have been the first team in the Majors to play triplets! Hahaha.

Honestly, Thole has decent numbers. Last season wasn't good, but his OBP was very solid before that. Even with his poor season, his career OBP is .331% which is very solid for a backup. He's also a great option to throw in versus RH pitching. He's a career .275 hitter vs RH with an OBP% of .345%. Solid.

I think Thole is more similar to that of Jeff Mathis. Hopefully his swing can be fixed too and he finds some sweet sweet hidden power.

But at least Thole doesn't strikeout as much and walks at a fairly average/above average clip.

edit: okay I guess you were looking more at physical looks lol.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I'm sorry can someone please explain to me exactly what would be wrong with Edwin at 1B and Cooper at DH? Or hell even Lind at DH?

Again, you can't be stacked at every single position. But people seem to totally disregard Cooper, I thought he looked pretty good last season in his brief auditions.
Problem with Cooper is his lack of power. He can hit for avg, but ideally, you want your DH/1B to have power.

Scion

May 25, 2012

I'll bet you can't support that argument with statistical evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad