HF Habs: Off-Season Homework

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure its solidified (especially since that entire 2nd line has never played together), but Montreal's finally at the point under the current management were they actually have enough talent that you can project a reasonable roster and identify holes. I still think finding elite talent (or potentially elite talent) should be the priority, but they're almost out of the impossible hole Bergevin left them in.

Yeah, for sure we want elite talent of that top 6. But I see that more coming from our own 1st and maybe we use our assets to move up from the Jets 1st also. I don't see a Dach trade happening. Though I would love it if it did. And, I'd rather move up with the Jets pick than get another Newhook, as much as I like Newhook.

On D, Hutson looks like he might be an elite offesive creator and Matheson is a really good second pairing offensive creator. Guhle and Reinbacher may be elite shutdown. I really like a top 4 of Matheson - Guhle, Hutson - Reinbacher. Then the bottom pair has Xhekaj - Mailloux. Not sure we even need elite talent for the blue line, though I'll take it if the opportunity is there to add it.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Team is already set for next year, just need a new contract for Xhekaj, and I would trade Harris

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Newhook-Dach-Roy
Gallagher-Dvorak-Anderson
RHP-Evans-Armia
Heineman/Pez

Guhle-Matheson
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron
Struble/Kovacevic

Obviously wiping out that entire bottom 6 would be awesome. If we could dump Anderson, waive RHP, and add 2 top-6 W from free agency and trades, the team would look a lot better while still keeping their competitive window open. I think the defense will sort itself out in a year or two as we discover who is the best.

Cirelli-Dach-Marchessault
Newhook-Dvorak-Roy
Gallagher-Evans-Armia

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Team is already set for next year, just need a new contract for Xhekaj, and I would trade Harris

Newhook-Dach-Roy
Gallagher-Dvorak-Anderson
RHP-Evans-Armia
Heineman/Pez

Guhle-Matheson
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron
Struble/Kovacevic

Obviously wiping out that entire bottom 6 would be awesome.
I do want the bottom 6 completely re-vamped but that can't happen as of yet because of some tough contracts. I'm also not exactly sure how MSL wants them to play. Personally, I prefer hard nosed bodysnatchers who are responsible defensively and can chip in. I want players that opposing defences hate playing against.

With respect to your defensive pairs, I'd prefer Hutson starts in the AHL but we'll see how he progresses over the summer and into camp. I really want Guhle to stay at LD all year, pending injuries and such.

Reactions: Benstheman

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Matheson at $4,875,000 for 2024-25 and 2025-26 seems like great value. I'm in no rush to move him. Let the young guys continue to develop before putting them in the spotlight of being on our top pair.
Guhle has been playing top pair for two year snow, and he's doing great. I don't see how this opinion is based on reality.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Guhle has been playing top pair for two year snow, and he's doing great. I don't see how this opinion is based on reality.
More in reference to suggestions to have Hutson replace Matheson. But agree with you that Guhle is solid and fully capable of being on our top pair.

Matheson averages 25:33 min/gp
Savard was his most frequent partner according to The Athletic - but that's from Feb so you might be right
Guhle averaged 20:51 (more than Savard 20:41)
I just hope we keep Matheson unless it's a trade high scenario

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Matheson at $4,875,000 for 2024-25 and 2025-26 seems like great value. I'm in no rush to move him. Let the young guys continue to develop before putting them in the spotlight of being on our top pair.
Could HuGo leverage Matheson's season and production, in order to keep Guhlie's contract in the reasonable neighborhood? Not to mention Guhlie's injury issues, creating some caution in to the mix. Can he play a full season? Not yet at least.

If there is a trade for Matheson, it would have to be a big one, for me to consider moving him this summer that's for sure.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
More in reference to suggestions to have Hutson replace Matheson. But agree with you that Guhle is solid and fully capable of being on our top pair.

Matheson averages 25:33 min/gp
Savard was his most frequent partner according to The Athletic - but that's from Feb so you might be right
Guhle averaged 20:51 (more than Savard 20:41)
I just hope we keep Matheson unless it's a trade high scenario
Guhle played 461 minutes with Matheson, Savard 411.

The point is Guhle is already playing that top pair role, saying nobody is ready to fill in Mathesons shoes on the top pair role is just not factually true. It's rooted in emotion rather than reality. Mathesons bump in ice-time comes away from 5v5 play, in which he plays very similar to both Guhle and Savard. Hutson, Guhle, Barron and Xhekaj can more than handle the powerplay duties together. Savard, Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble, Kovacevic should all be able to handle the PK duties.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
For me, Habs have to take the next step next season, which means battling for a playoffs spot. For me, having Dach back, natural progression of our young players and adding a top 6 player would make us as good if not better than the NYI, Caps, Pens, Detroit, Buffalo and Philly.

So here is my list :

-Draft one of Demidov, Lindstrom or Iginla.
-Trade for Laine for a package including Anderson and Winn 1st.
-If it doesn't work out, sign Marchessault to a 3-4 years contract.
-Use our D depth to go get forward depth (bottom 6). I'd still try to pry Kakko away from NYR.
-Extend Slafsquatch and Xhekaj
-Don't give a f*** about Ylonen so whatever.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Guhle played 461 minutes with Matheson, Savard 411.

The point is Guhle is already playing that top pair role, saying nobody is ready to fill in Mathesons shoes on the top pair role is just not factually true. It's rooted in emotion rather than reality. Mathesons bump in ice-time comes away from 5v5 play, in which he plays very similar to both Guhle and Savard. Hutson, Guhle, Barron and Xhekaj can more than handle the powerplay duties together. Savard, Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble, Kovacevic should all be able to handle the PK duties.
We can agree to disagree - I like having Matheson on the team and hope he stays

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
For me, Habs have to take the next step next season, which means battling for a playoffs spot. For me, having Dach back, natural progression of our young players and adding a top 6 player would make us as good if not better than the NYI, Caps, Pens, Detroit, Buffalo and Philly.

So here is my list :

-Draft one of Demidov, Lindstrom or Iginla.
-Trade for Laine for a package including Anderson and Winn 1st.
-If it doesn't work out, sign Marchessault to a 3-4 years contract.
-Use our D depth to go get forward depth (bottom 6). I'd still try to pry Kakko away from NYR.
-Extend Slafsquatch and Xhekaj
-Don't give a f*** about Ylonen so whatever.
If the trade is Andy + 1st Id do it in a heart beat. Not sure about Laines value as a whole but just getting rid of Anderson is a massive +.
We can agree to disagree - I like having Matheson on the team and hope he stays
This isn't a matter of opinon, it's factual, we can't disagree. You can like having Matheson on the team and hope he stays but you can also acknowledge that Guhle is fully ready to take that spot because, well, he's been playing that spot for a while now.

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
If you say u want to be in the playoff mix then bring in a veteran associate coach like Vigneault and go get another young scorer with upside like Dorofeyev sign him to offer sheet 4 million per compensation 2025 second round pick....bring in a physical RHD like Hakanpaa while young RHD develop in Laval....bring in a veteran goalie to challenge Primeau if he does not win the battle u have a veteran goalie in Laval someone like Driedger.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Doubtful it happens but if Mr.Clean Kent Hughes can somehow get rid of useless Gallagher and Dumb Donkey that would be phenomenal.

Last edited:

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
This isn't a matter of opinon, it's factual, we can't disagree. You can like having Matheson on the team and hope he stays but you can also acknowledge that Guhle is fully ready to take that spot because, well, he's been playing that spot for a while now.
Ok you win. Apologies for thinking anything different

• Haha
Reactions: Beer and Chips

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Gallagher isn't ideal but he isn't useless.
His team leading +/-24 says otherwise. He's a liability out there more often than not. He definitely won't be getting the Desharnais like preferential treatment next season (I hope) when everyone is healthy.

I guess he's better than the Dumb Donkey but that's a very low bar.

Reactions: Walrus26

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
If he’s open to it which is very unlikely, what would you guys think of signing Jake Guentzel? What would you offer?

I feel like a playoff proven veteran scorer would do this forward group wonders

Still, he’s the biggest UFA this season and realistically the next one too (the big guys will all extend) so he’ll get offered the moon but I can’t help but think he’d be perfect here

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If he’s open to it which is very unlikely, what would you guys think of signing Jake Guentzel? What would you offer?

I feel like a playoff proven veteran scorer would do this forward group wonders

Still, he’s the biggest UFA this season and realistically the next one too (the big guys will all extend) so he’ll get offered the moon but I can’t help but think he’d be perfect here
He’s gonna have 30 yrs old at the start of the season. For me he doesn’t fit with our timeline

Reactions: TesseractPrice

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I doubt Ylonen gets re-sgined. I have nothing against him, I even kind of like him but we aren't going to use him so Hughes will do the right thing and let him become a UFA so the guy can try to find a spot somewhere.

Would be great to extend Guhle and Slaf this summer but in Guhle's case I don't think it will happen because it will be hard to find a number that makes sense for both sides that takes into account his high potential but is still rooted in what he's actually done. So they give it another year and then work out a long term deal. With Slaf it's a bit easier because you can give him a Suzuki/Caufield like contract which should make sense for both the player and the team.

Xhekaj's contract will be an interesting one to watch if they decide to go long term.
Caufield's contract is already looking a bit iffy. The last year may have been a down year, but as a one dimensional player he needs to produce.

I suppose they can use cap hits for Anderson, Gallagher, Dvorak, and Armia to negotiate lower salaries now and use the cap savings once those guys go off the books, but I'd be hesitant to give long contracts now. Lowballing and then paying for past performance is how you get Gallagher contracts. Let guys show what they are worth and then pay them.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
1. Trade Matheson or make it clear he's the 3rd LD and he's not getting PP1.
2. Trade Gally.
3. Trade Andy, if possible.
4. Resign Ax and Barron
5. Find someone better than JFH
6. Fire Burrows
7. Hire an actual head coach to mentor MSL. Needs to be a strong bench coach. If MSL doesn't want it, he gets canned.
8. Give 6.5 x 8 to Slaf and Guhle
8. Try to add Sam Poulin for the bottom line
9. Add scoring depth for the third line.
10. Add vet talent and ahl depth on two-ways in Laval.
I had your #6 way way higher on my priority list.
How many games did we lose by a goal, and how many of those should have been wins with just an « average « power play?

Reactions: Mrb1p

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Agreed with most, except Ylonen. He's a goner

We definitely need to secure a top-6 forward for the upcoming season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad