Confirmed with Link: OEL Signs 8 year Extension (8.25 AAV)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Most long term contracts are regrettable.
They paid market value, and maybe OEL would get more next summer as a UFA. Of course that would depend on his production this year. We have to keep our best players if they are top 2D or 1C/2C/elite wing especially, just too hard to develop or trade for. We should have kept Yandle, we didn't get much for him, he was a solid Coyote and our PP was great. Hanzal was injury prone, I get why we passed. We need to keep Keller too, assuming his career turns out to be what it could be based on last year.

I can see long term last few years being an over payment, but that is what you have to do to keep a home grown 1D.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He'll be 28 when he first plays under this contract and 35 when it expires. I feel pretty good about that. I think a 35 year old OEL can be a very good dman.

Reactions: zz and doaner

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I feel for NYI fans right now, not only is Tavares gone but many TML fans are just piling on dirt. I'd have to boycott the board for 3 months if that happened to us.

Leafs fans are the worst in the league, just like the Yankees or Cowboys.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Shocked that we’re front loading like that on both deals. Forget about adding any more salary this summer or next. Wow.

If they were serious about JVR they would have added more salary already right?
OEL's doesn't seem all that front loaded anyway, seems sort of mid-loaded? First 2 years are only 1M more than he's getting next year.

Stepan does get cheaper too, he goes from 7M real bucks last year to 6>5>5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad