Injury Report: Oduya to Miss a "Couple of Weeks"

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Oduya's been playing a little better lately, but given how he's been most of the year, it's good we have a reason to not play him. Hopefully he'll be better still when he returns.

In the meantime, I hope we play some of the prospects from Rockford instead of some combo of Rundblad/Erixon/Cumiskey. It'd be nice to get a look at what we have in them.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
If you watched Q's interview you knew this was a semi-serious injury. If the second period is an indication of what the Hawks look like without Oduya they are in big trouble.

Again, this places more emphasis on getting TVR back. Needs to happen soon. If it was me I am calling Johns or Klas.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Oduya's been playing a little better lately, but given how he's been most of the year, it's good we have a reason to not play him. Hopefully he'll be better still when he returns.

In the meantime, I hope we play some of the prospects from Rockford instead of some combo of Rundblad/Erixon/Cumiskey. It'd be nice to get a look at what we have in them.

I couldn't disagree more. Oduya has taken a step back but it's clear he's the 4th best defenseman. Rosival has obviously struggled and Runblad and Cominskey have been hit or miss and aren't trusted by Q. With Oduya healthy are 3rd pairing had become a big issue. Now, that trickles in to the top 4. I don't know how that helps the Hawks.

I guess this forces Q to give some more ice time to someone and maybe that could turn out well, but that seems like a stretch.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
Time for stan to make a deadline move. Forget rosi, erixon, and runblad. Send cumiskey back to rockford. Pick up a vet to partner with hjalmarsson for now, with runblad and rosi as the bottom pair (until tvr is back, then sit rosi) and when oduya comes back, sit runblad also.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Time for stan to make a deadline move. Forget rosi, erixon, and runblad. Send cumiskey back to rockford. Pick up a vet to partner with hjalmarsson for now, with runblad and rosi as the bottom pair (until tvr is back, then sit rosi) and when oduya comes back, sit runblad also.

I won't be surprised if Q inserts Cumiskey right in Oduya's spot and let him sink or swim. He has good wheels, and he was one of the few Hawks who seemed to give a dam in the third period of the loss to Avs. (he got caught pinching, but at least he was playing desperate).

They won't want to rush TVR back.... so it will be interesting which guy from RFD gets the call. My guess would be Dahlbeck.

The injury may also influence Stan's TD decision(s) when it comes to acquiring more depth back there.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If TVR was healthy or they relied on Pokka/Johns/etc. this season, I would say this is a blessing in disguise. I'm obviously not a fan of Oduya, so this does not bother me. With that said, Q is going to give people a reason to miss him if he trots Roszival out there in the top 4.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'm not that upset about Oduya being out. He has done better recently (when placed with Hammer), but if we play our cards right, we could have a relatively healthy Oduya back for the playoffs.

We should trade for a solid dman, have TVR return within the next two weeks, and LTIR Oduya for the rest of the regular season. Sure, he may only need to be out for a few weeks, but he could use an extra month rehabilitating himself (something he couldn't do this offseason due to his foot injury). If he were to work with the training staff for the last month, I'm sure he'd be able to play to a similar level as last year. Our defense would be considerably better for it.

Last edited:

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
This is terrific, more ice time for Roszival.

Maybe it will be a wake up call for the rest of the roster.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
In what crazy world is having Oduya in the lineup a good thing. He has 5 points, is bottom 3 in +/- (worst for D), has the worst possession numbers, has the lowest point share among the D, all while getting a majority of offensive zone starts. Let me repeat this: a majority of offensive zone starts (#2 among D after Rozsival) and FIVE points. Getting upset about Oduya going down would be like getting upset that Edwin Jackson missed a start.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
In what crazy world is having Oduya in the lineup a good thing. He has 5 points, is bottom 3 in +/- (worst for D), has the worst possession numbers, has the lowest point share among the D, all while getting a majority of offensive zone starts. Let me repeat this: a majority of offensive zone starts (#2 among D after Rozsival) and FIVE points.

Well Oduya was never getting offensive zone starts in hopes that he would contribute, it was just to shelter him and ensure any opponents on the ice with him were starting as far away from his net as possible.

That said, Oduya has turned a bit of a corner of late. Pretty much since he was put back with Hammer he's looked noticeably better, despite going back to tougher minutes along with him. Lately, like the last 5 or 6 games or so, Seabrook has actually been the guy getting torched worst in possession.

Odd to say, but I'm happy it's a UBI rather than an LBI, given he was coming off surgery in the off-season. Maybe it was all Hammer these last few games, but it's also possible that he was playing on a foot that needed more time and it was finally getting there.

We'll see.

Cumisky is going to be a problem in the lineup though. Wheels are literally the only thing he has going for him. He's not smart, he's not a great passer, he's not a great shooter, etc.

I don't know how the D pairings are going to be arranged, but if Rundblad doesn't see more ice than Cumisky Im going to probably get a noise complaint.

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
This might be what Oduya needs to get his head right. If only we didn't have to play Rozy more though... ugh

Save us TVR!

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City

Yes. Who?

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
Not sure, I know little about available players. Wasn't sekera a rumor? Dunno what acquiring him would require though.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Yes. Who?

I'd go after Sekera or Petry, personally.

I'd love to see Shaw+Raanta+prospect/2nd for Petry.

Gets rid of one of Q's most useless favorite toys, we have goaltending depth to spare for the first time in ever, and Petry is a solid depth Dman.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Sekera, Michalek, Zidlicky, and Petry are a few rentals who would be more than enough for what we need.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
On one hand, this leaves our already-thin D-Corspe...er...corps Callista Flockheart thin.

On the other hand, it's not like we lost Kane or someone who's actually done anything.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Sekera, Michalek, Zidlicky, and Petry are a few rentals who would be more than enough for what we need.

We're on the same page with these two. Been saying I want these guys for awhile now. Both are legitimate PP QB options that are also responsible in the D-zone. Do want.

ReillyO

Feb 18, 2014
At least as we got a "timetable" I'm guessing it's not a concussion, because who knows when he'd come back from that or in what shape.

This sadly will put up the price of the dmen on the trade list...I hope they aren't rushing TVR back as a bluff or in desperation.

ToewsForDays

Feb 8, 2015
Was hoping this could be an opportunity for someone in Rockford to prove themselves. Doesn't seem like it will since no one has gotten called up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad