Speculation: October Waiver Candidates

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I agree. Why shove players through waivers in dribbles when you can do it all at once and build some fan interest when doing it?

Yea that's why I think they should bring back the waivers draft.
Just get it over all at once instead of little by little.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's a big body obviously, A strong skater if Sproul has any deficiencies it's his defensive game he has a wicked slapper. I'm a big Sproul fan myself and would love to see Holland give him a chance. I would rather see Sproul as the 7th D-man over Ouellet any day. I don't know what Holland's thinking is on Sproul when there was mention of Petry possibly coming home to Detroit. It sounded like McTavish wanted Helm+Sproul and Holland wouldn't do it. It sounded like he was willing to add Ouellet to the deal but didn't want to part with either Helm or Sproul. I think that Sproul has all the tools i can see him as a Zidlicky type of D-man at least. I think Sproul is a better Cody Franson any day. Sproul would look good with the Oilers on their bottom pairing i think Sproul really could help Edmonton if it goes that far.

Thanks for the info. He's a guy that I'd consider dealing something small for if Holland doesn't see a spot for him now. We rolled the dice with Clendening last year and while he tries hard the poor guy just doesn't look the part of a NHL D. I would hope that if Sproul is on the market or hits the wire that we'd land him.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Anton Lander and Mark Fayne may be the 2 guys on waivers from Edmonton.

Not so sure about Fayne . His agent is on record as saying Mark worked out hard this off season . He played well after his AHL stint . I am guessing from reading between the lines he was out of shape late year at training camp hated being sent to the A and training to make sure it doesn't happen again . He probably will never live up to his contract but if plays like he did late last season he is a useful player .

I still think we need 1 or 2 more D to become a real good team . Klefbom and Larsson are signed at deals that we could afford to have them on the 2nd Pairing , but we need a Shattenkirk , Barrie type of D . Hopefully something shakes lose with expansion coming up .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Thanks for the info. He's a guy that I'd consider dealing something small for if Holland doesn't see a spot for him now. We rolled the dice with Clendening last year and while he tries hard the poor guy just doesn't look the part of a NHL D. I would hope that if Sproul is on the market or hits the wire that we'd land him.

Makes a lot of sense . The cost to acquire D is so damn high you can afford to trade for 2 or 3 of them . We need to buy low on some and hope one takes a step forward like Davidson did last year .

Got to also think a struggling offensive D man could gain a lot of confidence playing with McDavid . Sometime a little confidence is all someone needs to take the next step

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Have you seen strippers in Montreal? I don't know how every player there isn't doing that.

Why ? Most are trashy . There more to a lady then looks . Myself I would rather an average looking lady that has class then a smoking hot stripper . I went to strippers once with my boss when took me for lunch and we moved to the other side of the bar where there were none . My request . That was at the TNC in Calgary on 17th ave SE . Just not my thing and I am sure others are like that especially hockey players who got their pick of hit women

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why ? Most are trashy . There more to a lady then looks . Myself I would rather an average looking lady that has class then a smoking hot stripper . I went to strippers once with my boss when took me for lunch and we moved to the other side of the bar where there were none . My request . That was at the TNC in Calgary on 17th ave SE . Just not my thing and I am sure others are like that especially hockey players who got their pick of hit women

So when did you get fired?

:sarcasm:

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Man the Wings have some notable names or at least formerly.

I wonder if their slow track development hurts or helps this. Guys with great AHL numbers but unproven in the NHL. Other teams have to guess how they'll do.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
In Detroit it's pretty likely that Nicklas Jensen (D), Ryan Sproul (D), and Martin Frk (RW) will all hit waivers barring serious injury issues in training camp or a miraculously great training camp. There is an outside chance that Xavier Ouellett (D) hits waivers if Sproul or Jensen take his spot. Steve Ott (F) is also a waiver candidate depending how well guys like Athanasiou, Mantha, Frk, Bertuzzi perform in camp.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
One or both of Dillon Simpson and David Musil for the Oilers. Simpson had a pretty good year in the AHL last year and showed good progression. If I had to guess I'd say Simpson sticks as the 7/8/Pressbox guy and Musil gets waived.

Simpson dosen't have to go through waivers.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
The Leafs are guaranteed to have at least one good player on waivers.

Leivo, Corrado, Carrick (low chance), and maybe a vet like Greening, Laich, or Michalek.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Lots of crazy names on this list - Nieto and Karlsson from SJ? You'd think they'd be picked up in a heartbeat

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Lots of crazy names on this list - Nieto and Karlsson from SJ? You'd think they'd be picked up in a heartbeat

Some maybe. Every year I wonder what a team made up of players who've gone through waivers would do in the regular season. Probably no better or worse than a run of the mill expansion team.

Bfreezy40

Dec 17, 2014
Buffalo
Cody Franson if one of the Sabres young guns on D really take that step this year and possibly Matt Moulson if he looks worst this season then last.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Most Jets fans are hoping that it happens, but I wouldn't count on it, nor would I want it to. Losing Pavelec means throwing Hellebuyck directly to the wolves.

Hutchinson is a very likely waiver candidate for us. Other possibilities would be Thorburn, Peluso, Burmistrov etc.

Peluso yes, the others no. Hutch is needed for the expansion draft -- Pavs would be exposed to waivers long before Hutch. Thorburn is not a good player, but management will never give up on him. Burmistrov could be traded or exposed at expansion but he will not be exposed to waivers

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Brian Strait for sure, hoping Stuart, Thorburn and Peluso are also candidates.

Despite his play, Stuart won't be waived. He's likely going to still be wearing a letter. Even if he was waived, any team taking him is on the hook for his full salary. There's WAY better UFA options for a $2.65 million cap hit.

Thorburn hasn't been a healthy scratch in his career & is the franchise leader in games played. He may be a healthy scratch this year for the first time due to the youth movement, but he certainly won't be waived. He's the perfect body to be watching from the press box.

Brian Strait & Peluso are all you have right here PLUS the thread is about potential first time waiver elible players from the 2011 draft class.

The Jet's have Adam Lowry & Joel Armia that become eligible this year. With rookies Patrik Laine & Kyle Connor poised to make the roster & Josh Morrissey & Nic Petan pushing as well, things are getting tight for roster spots in Winnipeg. It's conceivable none of Connor, Morrissey or Petan make the Jets just so that the team isn't forced to waive Lowry / Armia.

Or a trade is coming...

bloudy

Feb 12, 2015
East Vancouver
Most Jets fans are hoping that it happens, but I wouldn't count on it, nor would I want it to. Losing Pavelec means throwing Hellebuyck directly to the wolves.

Hutchinson is a very likely waiver candidate for us. Other possibilities would be Thorburn, Peluso, Burmistrov etc.

You'd have to think Burmistrov would get snapped up by someone. May be best to keep him for a year for expansion bait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad