Observations XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Armour, they do play a tight system, but Benn-Seguin are star forwards. This gives them an edge.

Fantastic game by the Preds.

PK has been on fire. He is finding lanes and being creative. He has been our top player. He has done this consistently in the playoffs. The regular season was not what I expected, but Game 1/Game 2, he has been incredible.

Agree on Subban- I thought he was very good in game 1, and even better in game 2- one of his best games in a long, long time.

I know a whole lot of Preds fans want him traded, but I still say if that happens you are going to see what a huge hole that would leave on this team.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
On the weekend, do whatever to maximize viewers, but I think they should try to leave weeknights alone as much as possible. Start at 7:30 or 7:45 maybe, then the viewers of the early game could catch the second half of the late game if they wanted.

But like I said, how many viewers is this really benefitting? Is there ratings proof that east coast viewers (the bulk of hockey watchers) are tuning into these games from 9:30-beyond midnight?

What is the ratings difference locally in Nashville or Dallas between a 7pm start and 8:30 start?

If it's really justified, then it is what it is. But I'd have to see the data.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Agree on Subban- I thought he was very good in game 1, and even better in game 2- one of his best games in a long, long time.

I know a whole lot of Preds fans want him traded, but I still say if that happens you are going to see what a huge hole that would leave on this team.
he has been fantastic so far this playoffs and i was one of his biggest critics in the regular season.

i hope it continues.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Watching Jets/Blues tonight was a very weird thing- actually pulling hard for the Jets was hard to stomach. But it was absolutely good news for the Preds that they won.

But the question is- if the Preds make it to round 2, who would you rather face- Blues or Jets??

I am really torn on it- before today, I had almost talked myself into wanting the Jets. But after tonight I am waffling again.

Jets are the most talented for sure, but Blues have been by far the better team since January. Jets are definitely in our heads and own us but we have lost 4 straight to the Blues, too.

Tough call, but right now I lean slightly towards preferring Blues..

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
drw, i think it's definitely 50/50.

i will go STL for 2 reasons. travel and goalie. i still don't believe in bennington. he is a rookie.

but i do not believe it matters. ultimately if we beat the stars then the blues or jets, we would likely beat either that we matchup with. if we get a consistent 60 minute effort game in game out, we can go far. i don't think it matters who we play.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
drw, i think it's definitely 50/50.

i will go STL for 2 reasons. travel and goalie. i still don't believe in bennington. he is a rookie.

but i do not believe it matters. ultimately if we beat the stars then the blues or jets, we would likely beat either that we matchup with. if we get a consistent 60 minute effort game in game out, we can go far. i don't think it matters who we play.

Wait- did you actually just say we would win a series??

Who kidnapped you and made this post???

I kid, I kid- lol

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Wait- did you actually just say we would win a series??

Who kidnapped you and made this post???

I kid, I kid- lol
let me get back after tomorrow night to confirm. this team makes me believe it can make a run.

i need to see more consistency for 60 minutes.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Can anyone tell me the last time we came out and just kicked the crap out of the opposition?

You know, scored 2 or 3 in the first and then just cruised to a big win?

I cant remember the last time we had a game like that(in our favor that is, i can remember plenty the other way)

Tonight would be a good time to have one of those for our side...

NightowlPred

Apr 7, 2017
let me get back after tomorrow night to confirm. this team makes me believe it can make a run.

i need to see more consistency for 60 minutes.
:thumbu: I fully agree with you! Must be an omen or something. I think in the POs whats needed is a full 60 min effort. If you don‘t you may win a gane or two, heck even a series, but you won‘t get far if you don‘t.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
But like I said, how many viewers is this really benefitting? Is there ratings proof that east coast viewers (the bulk of hockey watchers) are tuning into these games from 9:30-beyond midnight?****

I suspect it has more to do with advertisers/commercial contract than Nashville specific viewers.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Can anyone tell me the last time we came out and just kicked the crap out of the opposition?

You know, scored 2 or 3 in the first and then just cruised to a big win?

I cant remember the last time we had a game like that(in our favor that is, i can remember plenty the other way)

Tonight would be a good time to have one of those for our side...

I have been posting about this for quite some time. It is incredible that we have not had a true "laugher" of a game for so long. The last one we had was the 7-2 win over the Caps on January 15. That means we haven't had one in over 3 MONTHS. Every single team in the league, even bottom feeders like Ottawa, have had them.

On the rare occasion when we dominate a game, we can't finish chances and the game winds up a nail biter anyway. The season ending Chicago game was a perfect example- the Preds completely and absolutely wiped the floor with the Hawks that night- that should have been a 7-1 win with nothing but garbage time in the third period. Yet somehow it was yet another 1 goal, empty net situation late in the game. Even the Dallas game Saturday was somewhat like that to a lesser degree- Preds by far the better team- yet there we were in OT.

It is really inexplicable.

Reactions: PredsV82

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Did we cause a goalie change all season? Even when we beat Caps 7 - 2 in January Copley played the whole game. Rinne was removed 5 times including the injury in Calgary.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
well. i fully expect another street fight tonight. anyone still saying 'this should have been an easy series' just doesn't know what they are talking about hockey wise. these are two teams almost exactly alike in all areas.

two one line teams.
..Sequin, Benn, Radulov- 89 goals, 205 pts (16 games missed) (.386 goals/ .891 pts per games played)
..Forsberg, Johansen, Arvy- 76 goals, 166 pts (44 games missed) (.376 goals/.821 pts per games played)

two teams dependent on their defensemen scoring.
..DAL defense leads the league in goal scoring and points
..NSH defense 4th in league in both goal scoring and points

two teams with huge good goalies
..Bishop 1.98, .934, and 14 straight games now of allowing 2 or less goals
..Rinne 2.42, .918, and playing well his last 10 games or so.

Dallas with a better PP by far and a slightly better PK, and a team that takes fewer penalties. Plays a more structured defensive system than ours.
We score and give up slightly more.

The only real advantage we have this series is better bottom 3 line scoring. So almost surely that's where we have to win (or lose) this series.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
It is kind of crazy to think about how monumental that Craig Smith goal was. We were one shot away from basically our season being over. Had we lost we would have had to go into Dallas and win both game 3 and 4, which would have been very tough.

But because we won it really changes the whole outlook- of course every game is important in the playoffs but you can make the argument that it isn't even a must win game for the Preds tonight. Of course we want to win, but we just have to at least get one of the two to get back home 2-2 with home ice restored. Last year in this same situation against Winnipeg we lost game 3 but still went on to take it to 7 games.

I would almost argue there is more pressure on Dallas tonight- they lose this one and it puts the Preds squarely in the drivers seat. Preds lose and they still can win game 4 and be in great shape.

Having said all of that, I would much prefer to win tonight so hopefully we can pull it off.........

Prediculous

May 11, 2018
Redding, CA
I look at what that Dallas team has built and they are 100% following the Preds model. Drafting good to great defensive prospects early or even ones that are falling in the draft due to teams not valuing the position as much as a forward.

Good goaltending, a couple of great puck moving defenders and an offense that is good enough to get 3 goals (when they arent struggling), which on most nights will be a win for them. Its a great formula and when luck is on your side it looks even better.

This is a totally different series then this Preds team has been in. This one is probably going the distance, which is scary because the Preds at home on a game 7 now is almost the opposite of a sure thing.

Reactions: Tex76

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Ehh, not too worried obviously losing Boyle & Simmonds both hurt size-wise but especially Simmonds he was bringing next to nothing to table. Boyle was decent but we'll manage without him.

Also, the next man up- model has worked for this team before as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad