Observations XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
saros has been better than rinne for a good stretch it seems.

subban played a great game tonight. i think we should bring his girlfriend to every arena we play.

Reactions: bdub24

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
man I hate sportscasters lol. "the preds have got to be pleased with how well they've been playing". "Nashville with a two game winning streak seems to be putting it all together" ?what the?

anyway, we played hard. and despite still only scoring two goals we got two points. that's all that's important right now. now we need to win a few games, no matter how ugly or against who, and get some swagger and confidence back.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Is it just me that feels like every time we do that silly drop back pass on the power play as we come up the ice, we're just wasting time, killing momentum, and asking the PK to stand at the blueline and get ready to stop us
It's not just us though, lots of teams use it. I think it's about time to drop it though cause teams have adjusted to it and smart ones have started jumping the drop pass

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Not sure when I last woke up the day after a win and felt bad about how weak of a win it was.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
There was some confusion in the GDT about the Fiala stick flip to his teammate and why it wasn't a penalty. According to the rulebook it is a penalty and should have been a minor.

10.3 Broken Stick – Player - A broken stick is one which, in the opinion of
the Referee, is unfit for normal play.
A player without a stick may participate in the game. A player
whose stick is broken may participate in the game provided he drops
the broken stick. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of
this rule.
A player who has lost or broken his stick may receive a
replacement stick by having one handed to him from his own players’
bench; by having one handed to him by a teammate on the ice; or, by
picking up his own unbroken stick or that of a teammate’s from the
ice. A player will be penalized if he throws, tosses, slides or shoots a
stick to a teammate on the ice, or if he picks up and plays with an
opponent’s stick. A player may not participate in the play using a
goalkeeper’s stick. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction
of this rule.
A player tendered a stick thrown on the ice from the players’ or
penalty bench will not receive a penalty. However, the person
responsible for throwing the stick will receive a bench minor penalty.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I seriously think they brought Turris back to quick. I think his conditioning was subpar due to the injury. I think its compounding the game moving to quick for him after being off so long.

He reminds me a ton of how Fisher looked when he came back this last time.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I seriously think they brought Turris back to quick. I think his conditioning was subpar due to the injury. I think its compounding the game moving to quick for him after being off so long.

He reminds me a ton of how Fisher looked when he came back this last time.
His wife does a podcast with Ekholm's wife where they talk Preds. It's pretty insightful because they talk about things you don't hear about from official Preds media outlets. Turris is definitely playing hurt, she talks about it at length about how frustrating it has been for him this year.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
His wife does a podcast with Ekholm's wife where they talk Preds. It's pretty insightful because they talk about things you don't hear about from official Preds media outlets. Turris is definitely playing hurt, she talks about it at length about how frustrating it has been for him this year.
Yeah I'm kind of wondering if he doesn't have one of those " it's not gonna get worse by playing on it, it's just how much pain he can tolerate " type of injuries.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
The 2nd line had their statistically most dominating game in months. On paper that line makes sense with complimentary pieces. It would be nice if they could get some chemistry going.

I also liked the Grimaldi, Bonino, Simmer line while not as statistically dominating I thought they created some chaos. The blocked shot from Grimaldi was a bad choice/bad luck type situation. I really enjoy the back checking effort of Grimaldi.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
When Josi is coming in with the puck and driving behind the net, whether on the forehand or backhand, when has he passed just before he rounds the net? Or just after he rounds the net? Seems like he never looks for a player for a quick shot. Sometimes there are not players to pass to, sometimes there are. This needs to be exploited.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
After reading on the GDT that Fiala says he likes playing there more because he’s allowed to be more creative... really makes me wary of lavy. Teams have caught on to our play from the backend. They need to be used a tad less imo

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
After reading on the GDT that Fiala says he likes playing there more because he’s allowed to be more creative... really makes me wary of lavy. Teams have caught on to our play from the backend. They need to be used a tad less imo

FF9 gets away with quite a bit of 'creativity'. Why would he be allowed to do that and Fiala be held back? Two sides here.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
Yeah I'm kind of wondering if he doesn't have one of those " it's not gonna get worse by playing on it, it's just how much pain he can tolerate " type of injuries.

That makes a lot of sense, as I am watching him it looks to me like he is playing not to get hurt. Its like whatever injury he has is making him think about everything he does instead of just reacting to the play, and that split second of delay is the difference between him being an effective 2C and him struggling to make plays.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
FF9 gets away with quite a bit of 'creativity'. Why would he be allowed to do that and Fiala be held back? Two sides here.

Yeah, I don't buy Fiala's take at all. He made bad decisions with the puck, was weak on the forecheck, lost puck battles, couldn't finish plays etc. all by himself when he was here. There was never a time I can remember where it looked like Fiala felt he had to get the puck to the D-men. That was a fairly immature comment and tries to place the blame on others instead of accepting responsibility for his subpar play.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Turris is about a 1/10th of a point per game below where we need him ... .49 points per game right now rather than around the .6 level needed. Amazingly he is still second on the team in PP goals with all of his time missed. His conditioning is lacking ... he's playing with what looks like a lack of confidence or timidness.

For all of Fifi's comments after the trade, perhaps he should look at his stats and the video from this season. He had his chances to perform and simply struggled. At least he's now demonstrating some great stickhandling (quite literally) skills.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
This info is from a GDT so I'm not gonna to give it too much merit but let's be honest, Fiala was given every opportunity to use his creativity even though he made some very bad decisions with the puck. There were times he'd make great plays that others on the team couldn't or wouldn't and he wouldn't have had the chance to do that on many other teams with coaches like Trotz and Torts.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Yeah, I didn’t understand Fiala’s comments either. He had plenty of chances to prove himself. He was a turnover machine, and his decision making was often poor.

Reactions: Aardvarksson

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
There was some confusion in the GDT about the Fiala stick flip to his teammate and why it wasn't a penalty. According to the rulebook it is a penalty and should have been a bench minor.
Thanks for this. My gut was telling me that wasnt allowed, but i convinced myself it was just applicable to the goalies stick for some reason (maybe because the rule calls out playing with the goalies stick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad