Observations, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Original thread reaching 1000 post limit, continue discussions here

mod: I guess we might as well put links to previous Observation threads in the OP for new ones so it's easier to track how things were discussed over the course of the entire season.

Observations I

Last edited by a moderator:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
For all of the pining for "old time hockey" I see within the NHL fan community, I am always confused as to why people will attach that particular descriptor to a time when players from one team retaliate for a strong hit. "Oh it's just good old time hockey. You gotta answer the bell!'

I'm not sure if people said things like that after Nystrom was targeted for his beautiful hit on McNabb, but when Stoll decided to go after Nystrom all I could think was, "you fool. You realize players can hit, and hit hard, right?" :shakehead

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
What will improve more; the PK or the 3rd line with Fisher. I think it's going to be interesting with Fisher-Jokinen-Gaustad-Nystrom you should see less 3 d-Man formations

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I can come up with only 5 positive things to say about this one;

1)rinne
2)Forsberg's game winner
3)all other teams watching this game think we stink and maybe don't get up for us or we see more backup goalies.
4)we stole two points, in a game we didn't deserve to get any.
5)the pk played well finally

can't say I enjoyed any of this game. we were outplayed, outfought, outskated... and only because of rinne were we not outscored.

the players that were horrible outnumbered the players that were average by a wide margin. jones was the worst, but he had a lot of competition. gaustad with a strong honorable mention. honestly I can't think of any single player right now I would say played to their capability, smith and Wilson were our two best. but we were outplayed in every area of the game.

but... we are 15-5-2...

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Most the Preds looking like they had way too much turkey before the game except for Forsberg and Smith who were probably the only two Preds with lively legs tonight.

- PP- don't need to beat a dead horse
- Seth Jones, my man, COME ON!!!

Overall most the team looked tired and disinterested. Thank you Pekka!

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
I will say that Jones skating impresses me so much. He may not be putting up points and may have a few bad plays, but when he is grabbing a pass that is going past him and he does a spin move to stop it from moving, I just can't help but be impressed.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I can come up with only 5 positive things to say about this one;

1)rinne
2)Forsberg's game winner
3)all other teams watching this game think we stink and maybe don't get up for us or we see more backup goalies.
4)we stole two points, in a game we didn't deserve to get any.
5)the pk played well finally

can't say I enjoyed any of this game. we were outplayed, outfought, outskated... and only because of rinne were we not outscored.

the players that were horrible outnumbered the players that were average by a wide margin. jones was the worst, but he had a lot of competition. gaustad with a strong honorable mention. honestly I can't think of any single player right now I would say played to their capability, smith and Wilson were our two best. but we were outplayed in every area of the game.

but... we are 15-5-2...

This one was a stinker.

BUT when we win the stinkers, we have a legitimate club on our hands.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Jones and Ellis both terrible tonight.

I thought Neal was weak on the point though, making it harder on Jones on the PP. I don't think our defensemen are tge problem on the powerplay. I thought Ribeiro had his worst as a Pred.

Wilson, Smith, Forsberg, Weber, Josi and Ekholm had good games. Not great but good.

Gaustad was awful

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
This one was a stinker.

BUT when we win the stinkers, we have a legitimate club on our hands.

I believe the term was coined back in the early '80's WRT a certain team on the south side of Chicago: "Winning Ugly".

9-2, 1-0, they're both wins. Thought I think practically anyone in the hockey world would have thought the scores would be for the opposite games from whence they came.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
rinne now leads the league in wins, and save percentage, and a very close second in gaa and minutes played... can't say enough about his play so far... he's the real difference on a team that is 15th in scoring, tied for 1st in goals allowed and near the bottom of the league in both pp and pk.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
rinne now leads the league in wins, and save percentage, and a very close second in gaa and minutes played... can't say enough about his play so far... he's the real difference on a team that is 15th in scoring, tied for 1st in goals allowed and near the bottom of the league in both pp and pk.
Some of the saves he made last night were incredible, the stretch on the penalty shot was good but that kick save on the penalty kill was a thing of beauty. He had a couple of cross body glove snatches too.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
last night terry kept saying how 'unlike' the preds it was to be dominated in the faceoff dot. but i don't know what games he's been watching, he sure hasn't been watching faceoff stats.

we have 6 guys who have taken 100 faceoffs or more, only gaustad is above 50%;
ribeiro 43.9%, and he's far and away taken the most, and many of those on the pp
gaustad 57.6%, but only 50% on the pk where we need them the most
roy 47.4%
jarnkrok 47.4%
jokinen 39.4%
wilson 41%

it's been a persistant problem, as a team we are 26th in the league on faceoffs. not completely unrelated to us being 24th in the league on both the pp and pk. most neutral zone faceoffs are relatively meaningless, but faceoff's on special teams are always huge and have really hurt us here.

hopefully fish's return helps a lot here.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
After Friday's games, Preds now lead the league in goals allowed per game- 2.00, just ahead of the Blues and Blackhawks.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Hutton to Neal: "I'm on TV" .....Hutton was doing his bench interview in the third period, Neal sat down in front of him and you could see Neal keep looking back at Hutton and I guess Neal said something to him and Hutton had to tell him he was on tv, lol. :laugh:

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2014/11/27/7301031/hutton-scolds-neal-during-3rd-period-interview-spot

zogAWXX.gif

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Classic trap game again, kinda. Injuries have ruined CBJ thus far, but they still have talent, was a playoff team thta added more talent, and was a team that pushed our "A" team around in the preseason.

Hope we come out better than Thursday

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
yeah token hoping they learned their lesson thursday rather than thinking that thursday means they can just show up and win....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia