Oakland A's to play in Sacramento for a few years while Las Vegas stadium is built

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Fisher plans to display family art collection in stadium. (Similar to Allegiant Stadium art. I can think that they may want stadium tours as an income stream.)

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Is that even possible in a 162 games in 185-day season from a schedule making standpoint?
No, it really isn't. Not just because they wouldn't be able to get enough games in, but because they can't have a team off every day. The NBA, NHL, and MLS can do that. Even the NFL. But MLB can't. Teams play basically 6 days a week. They need an even number of teams. There's a reason every expansion since 1961 has been two teams together (or four in 1969).

KevFu

May 22, 2009
No, it really isn't. Not just because they wouldn't be able to get enough games in, but because they can't have a team off every day. The NBA, NHL, and MLS can do that. Even the NFL. But MLB can't. Teams play basically 6 days a week. They need an even number of teams. There's a reason every expansion since 1961 has been two teams together (or four in 1969).

Yeah, I'm with you and on top of the whole even numbers thing, and the "basically no."

My brain was going for the actual math problem of it all:

There's 181 playing days to a season (not counting the ASB). Every team has 19 off-days outside the ASB. There's way more individual team off days than playing days; so making a 30-team schedule with "games vs As" are a bye; and schedule no offdays surrounding each teams series with the "Phantom A's" (so that you're adding in 2 extra off-days per series, not 3)...

There's totally enough space in the schedule to do that.... if MLB's schedule was balanced.

The complex math problem is "you have to schedule everyone to 162 games... without playing the A's." You have four groups of teams needing more games to play instead of playing the A's.

- 14 teams (NL but not SF) need 3 more games each
- 7 teams (six in the AL East/Central, plus SF) needs 6 more games each.
- 4 teams (in the AL East/Central) need 7 more games each
- 4 teams (AL West) need 13 more games each.

And THAT'S when my head exploded.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
The crazy thing is that the A's and Oakland actually were QUITE CLOSE on a Howard Terminal deal.

It was like their owner was so close to the finish line, realized he was about to stay in Oakland for 30 years, and panicked/bolted because he just didn't want to be in Oakland (ahem, sell the team if that's the case).

The Las Vegas project that's been a cocktail napkin theory no where close to the definitive structure of the Howard Terminal project just seems like, tiny, small, half-assed and nonsensical.

The A's site is smaller than the T-Mobile Arena site, and I'm not sure if you know this, but baseball stadiums are WAAAAAAAAAAY bigger than NHL arenas.

I really don't understand how every MLB owner isn't like trying to trap the A's owner into a Donald Sterling situation. The A's going up for sale and staying in Oakland is absolutely the best thing for Major League Baseball.

Reactions: Headshot77

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yeah, I'm with you and on top of the whole even numbers thing, and the "basically no."

My brain was going for the actual math problem of it all:

There's 181 playing days to a season (not counting the ASB). Every team has 19 off-days outside the ASB. There's way more individual team off days than playing days; so making a 30-team schedule with "games vs As" are a bye; and schedule no offdays surrounding each teams series with the "Phantom A's" (so that you're adding in 2 extra off-days per series, not 3)...

There's totally enough space in the schedule to do that.... if MLB's schedule was balanced.

The complex math problem is "you have to schedule everyone to 162 games... without playing the A's." You have four groups of teams needing more games to play instead of playing the A's.

- 14 teams (NL but not SF) need 3 more games each
- 7 teams (six in the AL East/Central, plus SF) needs 6 more games each.
- 4 teams (in the AL East/Central) need 7 more games each
- 4 teams (AL West) need 13 more games each.

And THAT'S when my head exploded.

Basic math says it should be possible to create a schedule with 29 teams. 181 days in the season, the league would need 1 and only 1 team idle on at least 162 of those 181 days.

While technically possible, I agree it’s practically impossible. You’d have to eliminate a lot of travel days, plus rebalance the usual divisional and league games.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Does Oakland have any reason to say anything BUT "if you're willing to talk about staying in Oakland and doing the Howard Terminal deal, we can talk. But if not, then GTFO" ?

The A's own half the land if they ever want anything there. They would get money from the A's if they used the stadium extra years. The A's have other options too.

Oakland isn't in good enough of a bargaining position to demand an enormous take it or leave it change your entire future plans ultimatum for them to use a terrible stadium for 1-3 more seasons, only to have to use that same terrible stadium an additional 2-4 years after that if they did.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Does Oakland have any reason to say anything BUT "if you're willing to talk about staying in Oakland and doing the Howard Terminal deal, we can talk. But if not, then GTFO" ?

"Leave the team name with the city, and secure an ironclad deal from MLB that we'll get the next expansion team as soon as we find an ownership group, and we'll let you stay as long as you need without tying you down beyond that."

That gives Oakland the As and no John Fisher, so I think they'd be all in for that version.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad