Proposal: NYR/VAN (assuming everyone waives)

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
New York Rangers receive:
Luca Sbisa
Jannik Hansen

Vancouver Canucks receive:
Marc Staal
1st round pick 2017/2018 (if Rangers advance through 1st round of playoffs, pick moves to 2018)

Why Rangers do this:
1. Marc Staal is not lauded by the Rangers fans on here and carries a hefty contract. This gives the Rangers more contract flexibility going forward as he is making 5.7M until 2021 while Hansen and Sbisa are locked up for 2 more years.

2. Adds depth/scoring/speed to the middle 6 wingers with Hansen, who has worked with Vigneault before. He is a hard worker and thought by many on this board to return a second round pick. He is definitely an upgrade at this moment to Gerbe/Grabner/Glass/Fast.

3. Allows NYR to protect someone else in the expansion draft other than Staal in the draft given the NMC.

Why Canucks do this:
1. Canucks get an upgrade on Sbisa and also get the chance to get a pick for a solid player that does not fit with where our team is going (rebuild). This is something that most Canucks fans on HF would be happy with. While the term of the contract is not great, many contracts are coming off the books in the near future and it allows us to gain another pick which Benning seems to be doing well with (if he doesn't use them to trade).

Link: Comparison between Staal and Sbisa.
http://public.tableau.com/shared/34CQ9N47X?:display_count=yes

2. Canucks gain an NMC which hurts for expansion but can either a) decide not to honour the NMC (arguably he is hard to move given the contract anyways) or b) sign another defenseman on the market for cheap that would cover the expansion requirements since we will still have 3.5M in cap space.

3. Marc Staal has name value in Vancouver and this would also go over well with casual fans.

Note: We could probably discuss the idea of Girardi coming to Vancouver as well but IMO he is much less serviceable than Staal and I would want more coming back as a Vancouver GM.

Last edited:

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
At first glance it seems respectable. Helps NYR move an anchor of a contract, and Van gets a first out of it. (Neutral observer, though).

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
I'd only do this if the front office thinks the window is still open (which they seem to do) if not we should hold onto the pick, although Sbisa is only a small downgrade on Staal but we get out of the NMC and we need more right handed shots up front who can play up and down the lineup.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Vancouver can't do this since he requires to be protected.

Staal, Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson... one of the latter 3 would be guaranteed to be Vegas bound when left unprotected...

So your losing Sbisa, Hansen, a top 4 Dman
for
$taal and a first.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Doesn't make any sense for us. We need guys that can transition the puck and do something on the PP, no another bottom 3 average, defensive dman. We could have just signed hamhuis. The 1st is nice but I doubt the rags are willing to move it for essenially hansen.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yeah can't move another 1st. For the 5th straight season. And if we are moving it, were not giving it up for essentially Hansen.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
Vancouver can't do this since he requires to be protected.

Staal, Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson... one of the latter 3 would be guaranteed to be Vegas bound when left unprotected...

So your losing Sbisa, Hansen, a top 4 Dman
for
$$$taal and a first.

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

I interpreted this as if we decide not to honour Staal's NMC (which we can do after a trade), that this wouldn't apply. Also as I said above we can sign another depth dman for 2 years or put in Larsen (if he plays 40 games). Unless I'm totally off base on that one.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Uh, no. You're kidding, right? The Ranger have traded 4 first round picks in a row, and they're gonna trade a 5th one? For Luca ****ing Sbisa and Jannick god damn Hansen.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Uh, no. You're kidding, right? The Ranger have traded 4 first round picks in a row, and they're gonna trade a 5th one? For Luca ****ing Sbisa and Jannick god damn Hansen.
Calm down. The guy didn't attack you he put up a hypothetical offer. Not to mention it's also to buy the NYR cap room and open up another expansion protection spot (which you left out). That said I actually think a 1st is definitely too much to give up for this.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Calm down. The guy didn't attack you he put up a hypothetical offer. Not to mention it's also to buy the NYR cap room and open up another expansion protection spot (which you left out). That said I actually think a 1st is definitely too much to give up for this.

It's more disbelief that tge Rangers would trade their 5th first rounder in a row for so little in actual value.

Sbisa is worse than Staal pretty easily. I realize it opens up a protection spot but a buyout would be better.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Pretty much.. neither side can do this..

NYR can't give up another 1st
and vancouver would be giving up Hansen and 2 dmen to acquire a 1st rounder.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Jannick Hansen is a good player.

Fast as hell, can play up and down your lineup and his cap hit is really good.

Teams pay a lot for guys like him at the deadline.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Jannick Hansen is a good player.

Fast as hell, can play up and down your lineup and his cap hit is really good.

Teams pay a lot for guys like him at the deadline.

I like Hansen a lot actually

Not for our first 1 rounder in 5 years tho

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The value is off because the Rangers aren't in a position to be trading first round picks, but a Staal for Sbisa deal isn't actually crazy to me.

They're both not good, but Staal would probably be decent for Vancouver, and Sbisa's contract ends way sooner then Staal's.

Obviously that wouldn't be the trade straight up, but I digress.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
As a Canucks fan I think I would do this. Getting another 1st is a big priority, as is moving Sbisa along. And I think Staal could be exposed to the expansion draft if he has already been moved? Would like some clarity on that though.

I can see why Rangers would pass though, as good as Hansen would be in their lineup.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Id prefer a better dman coming back are way but not sure the whole thing would work anyways

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So we're trading a first round pick to move Marc Staal, and in return we're taking a worse player (somehow!) who only makes 2 million less? Excruciating.

If we're adding a first, then somebody needs to take Staal no strings attached.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
So we're trading a first round pick to move Marc Staal, and in return we're taking a worse player (somehow!) who only makes 2 million less? Excruciating.

If we're adding a first, then somebody needs to take Staal no strings attached.

To be fair Staal's contract is for 5 more years while Sbisa's is for 2. I think it is also a bit disingenuous to say "only 2m less" because in todays NHL 2m cap space actually has value.

Overall this is actually a pretty good proposal value wise. Needs wise I don't see either side doing it.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Not worth moving our first 1st rounder in 4 years to get rid of Staal.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
This is one of the better initial proposals I've seen out there...good job. Unfortunately, neither team can do it for various reasons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad