Confirmed Buy-Out [NYR] Rangers have bought out Henrik Lundqvist

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don't you dare compare Lundqvist with that multi million dollar traffic cone. It's like comparing Yashin with Trottier on the NYI forum and then I'm being harsh to Yashin being compared with a cinder block player like Girardi.

Perfect $ather GM style to sign two traffic cones with zero mobility and puck sense to albatross contracts while throwing out the only one worth a damn at that time (Strålman). Fantastic. It's like going all-in on Derian Hatcher in modern hockey.

Lundqvist's career highlight video could last more than an hour. Girardi's would be the commercials in between. Girardi was a warrior that always gave his all to not suck. Lundqvist gave his all to save the game. Get the difference?

It's not Girardi's fault of course. It's the premise that Glen $ather was a great GM just because he got Gretzky, who carried $ather on his reputation wave of the Edmonton cups. One of the most incompetent GMs in NHL history based on reputation. He ruined all chances of winning a cup in New York with Lundqvist in net with all his outrageous UFA signings that basically all sank like stones in a lake.

He signed a dozen terrible contracts in a decade. Maybe two good ones. And the decision making? Utter barf material. That Lundqvist managed to get NYR so close to a Cup win with $ather as the GM is truly remarkable and worthy of a HHOF spot in itself. It's more a monument how terrible $ather was that Lundqvist couldn't win a cup on such a reputable franchise and how all strategical decisions were so BAD to be up to the task.

Apart from the legendary albatross trio of Drury, Gomez and Redden whom all NYR fans want to forget, how about signing Gaborik when you have Torts as the coach and Nash when you have Vigneault? It's so idiotic I miss words. No plan, no strategy. Just names.

Then Vigneault doesn't have Strålman, so he replaces him with Boyle, Yandle, Shattenkirk. Just great. All disasters with their responsibilites and roles on the team.

NYR are STILL in dead cap space hell because of the water rings of $ather. What an absolute idiot. I would also like to add that Alain Vigneault is the most incompetent NHL coach I've ever seen apart from $ather as a GM buffoon.

You want a summary? To compare Girardi's situation to Lundqvist's is simply put laughable and your insinuation is bafflingly stupid. Lundqvist is still a capable netminder. Girardi should've quit 5 years ago. Staal will apparently be an absolute train wreck in Detroit for another season. He also should've quit 5 years ago. If Detroit accepts Staal as a legit top #4 defenseman, you know they will absolutely suck balls.

Why are you so angry? I'm correcting someone who said the Rangers are paying all the players bought out to play for other NHL teams. We aren't paying Girardi to play for any other team, and if Hank retires, we aren't paying him to play for another team.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Unfortunately he's done. He still might land a backup spot somewhere in the league but that does not change the fact that he's not good enough anymore.

An amazing goalie with a great career. It's time though.

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
Henrik was just too good to ever allow the Rangers a high draft pick. seems like a King's curse to not have another superstar.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Don't you dare compare Lundqvist with that multi million dollar traffic cone. It's like comparing Yashin with Trottier on the NYI forum and then I'm being harsh to Yashin being compared with a cinder block player like Girardi.

Perfect $ather GM style to sign two traffic cones with zero mobility and puck sense to albatross contracts while throwing out the only one worth a damn at that time (Strålman). Fantastic. It's like going all-in on Derian Hatcher in modern hockey.

Lundqvist's career highlight video could last more than an hour. Girardi's would be the commercials in between. Girardi was a warrior that always gave his all to not suck. Lundqvist gave his all to save the game. Get the difference?

It's not Girardi's fault of course. It's the premise that Glen $ather was a great GM just because he got Gretzky, who carried $ather on his reputation wave of the Edmonton cups. One of the most incompetent GMs in NHL history based on reputation. He ruined all chances of winning a cup in New York with Lundqvist in net with all his outrageous UFA signings that basically all sank like stones in a lake.

He signed a dozen terrible contracts in a decade. Maybe two good ones. And the decision making? Utter barf material. That Lundqvist managed to get NYR so close to a Cup win with $ather as the GM is truly remarkable and worthy of a HHOF spot in itself. It's more a monument how terrible $ather was that Lundqvist couldn't win a cup on such a reputable franchise and how all strategical decisions were so BAD to be up to the task.

Apart from the legendary albatross trio of Drury, Gomez and Redden whom all NYR fans want to forget, how about signing Gaborik when you have Torts as the coach and Nash when you have Vigneault? It's so idiotic I miss words. No plan, no strategy. Just names.

Then Vigneault doesn't have Strålman, so he replaces him with Boyle, Yandle, Shattenkirk. Just great. All disasters with their responsibilites and roles on the team.

NYR are STILL in dead cap space hell because of the water rings of $ather. What an absolute idiot. I would also like to add that Alain Vigneault is the most incompetent NHL coach I've ever seen apart from $ather as a GM buffoon.

You want a summary? To compare Girardi's situation to Lundqvist's is simply put laughable and your insinuation is bafflingly stupid. Lundqvist is still a capable netminder. Girardi should've quit 5 years ago. Staal will apparently be an absolute train wreck in Detroit for another season. He also should've quit 5 years ago. If Detroit accepts Staal as a legit top #4 defenseman, you know they will absolutely suck balls.

I agree with everything you said but the “dead cap space hell” comment. It’s $13m in dead cap for one year and despite that fact, they have $23m in cap space. After the 20-21 season, it goes down to $4.04m and for the 22-23 season it’s $2.54m when new RFA deals kick in.

Their situation is beyond manageable. It’s like reading a headline for an article and then reading the article itself and realizing that the headline isn’t accurate at all.

Reactions: AirGut

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Best goalie of his era for a body of work. Damn shame he was on teams that couldn't score enough. That and the idiots officials giving away 2 games in the finals with massive incompetence. That being said, it's time to move on. Hank took a job from an older goalie once upon a time as well. This is the nature of the business. I hope he comes back and is an assistant to BA and becomes our next great goalie coach when BA hangs it up.
Price?

Reactions: HabsQC

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Filling arenas shouldnt be brought up because id rather cheer on my team in an 80% filled arena than pay four times as much for a ticket where 30% of the arena are suits who dont know or care about hockey!

Rangers pricing out there own fans!
If he's going to dishonestly frame the 2012 loss to get a little dig under the skin then Im just returning serve.

I can get behind not blindly supporting overpriced bullshit conglomerates though

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I can't imagine he would want to go be a backup on a team thats not a legit contender.
The Flyers are a legit contender.
I was wondering if Lundqvist would accept a 1 year offer for the backup gig in Philadelphia behind Carter Hart.
It would probably motivate Lundqvist if he had the opportunity to win the cup. Also Henrik would be a great mentor to phillys young goalies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Why are you so angry? I'm correcting someone who said the Rangers are paying all the players bought out to play for other NHL teams. We aren't paying Girardi to play for any other team, and if Hank retires, we aren't paying him to play for another team.
Yeah, but it wasn't anything to do about you. I only used your post as a platform for a harsh narrative to bash $ather. And yes, you mentioned Dan Girardi in a Lundqvist thread. Blasphemy! ;)
The Flyers are a legit contender.
I was wondering if Lundqvist would accept a 1 year offer for the backup gig in Philadelphia behind Carter Hart.
It would probably motivate Lundqvist if he had the opportunity to win the cup. Also Henrik would be a great mentor to phillys young goalies.
There is zero chance Lundqvist believes he has any cup chances playing on a team that has Vigneault as a coach. He won't sign with the Flyers. If I might speculate, I think Lundqvist even dislikes Vigneault as both a coach and a person.

If the Flyers had a good coach, sure, maybe.
Lundqvist's stats is just way more consistent than Price

good Rangers vs bad Rangers never affected Lundqvist at all

seriously Lundqvist's stats is among the most consistent i have ever seen
Yes, that's not a close race. In accumulated quality stats for goalies (I think xGAA?), Lundqvist is on a huge mountain, they even had to extend the graph to fit him. Other goalies like Price aren't even halfway there, more like standing on a hill. The reason is Lundqvist so consistently had a great high danger save percentage.

Lundqvist regularly had bad months. Other goalies regularly have bad seasons. It took age and having Vigneault as head coach for Lundqvist to finally have a bad season. That NYR qualified for every playoffs since Lundqvist entered the league (05/06) to 16/17 had alot to do with their netminder.

This is the stuff I'm talking about:
yost1.png

And Lundqvist did this for over a 1000 games.
I agree with everything you said but the “dead cap space hell” comment. It’s $13m in dead cap for one year and despite that fact, they have $23m in cap space. After the 20-21 season, it goes down to $4.04m and for the 22-23 season it’s $2.54m when new RFA deals kick in.

Their situation is beyond manageable. It’s like reading a headline for an article and then reading the article itself and realizing that the headline isn’t accurate at all.
Sure, you have valid points, but it still shows the damage $ather done before he was sacked. Even in 2020 his incompetence is present. That was my point.

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Henrik was just too good to ever allow the Rangers a high draft pick. seems like a King's curse to not have another superstar.

Nobody talks about it but busting so hard in the 2003 draft came back to haunt us a decade later. Could have a prime Mike Richards, or a Hart Corey Perry, or 80 point Ryan Getzlaf, or Patrice Bergeron...

And having Cherepanov pass away too was a massive blow.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Lundqvist signing with the Caps actually could be a possibility. It would also be pretty awesome to see Ovechkin and Lundqvist on the same team.
I may be biased but to me it makes the most sense. Hank could get 30-40 games playing with Samsonov and it's a quick train/plane ride to New York if his family stays there. The Caps should be set for another run under Laviolette so Hank could hopefully play an important role for a contender. He'd also be familiar with the division and the conference which should help with his adjustment. And I think he and Ovechkin have always had a good relationship.

Reactions: SherVaughn30

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Sorokin and Varlomov. No, thank you. Isles fans have seen the king at his worst, when we shell him. Not a team guy, blaming every blue shirt on the ice.
There are two hilarious statements in your post. The first is that the Isles shelled Lundqvist. They were about one of few teams who couldn't do that. Yes, NYI was that bad. In case you missed the last decade, NYI was an absolute joke. Even against most of the NYR clown teams, it was absolutely a battle where an even more pathetic NYI team found an overdrive by the power of being the underdogs. They maybe put in 200% against NYR and maybe stumled over a win, to then suck absolute donkey ass for another 5 games and look like a joke. I find it hilarious you judge Lundqvist's career on the performances against NYI.

The two certainties on the main boards was NYI and TOR fans hyping their new team for the next season for the last decade, until they continued to suck ass, missing the playoffs basically always by a wide margin. It was like clockwork every august to get the NYI/ TOR threads about the new hype, before the inevitable crash.

This NYI playoff run doesn't change history. The second argument of yours is that Lundqvist isn't a team guy. I find the first argument the most hilarious, even though the second is also quite laughable (especially how you found it out: NYI shelling NYR and Lundqvist. ROFL!). Most of the goals NYI managed to score against Lundqvist were the most laughable circus pinball bounces I've ever seen. Standard NYI goal: Off a stick, off a skate, off an ass of a defender, singling into the net by another ass. Such world beaters. If Lundqvist could see it, he would rob even the almighty NYI of a sure goal.

Your added statements together makes you a dubious poster with terrible connection to reality. A bitter NYI fan. Possibly a TOR fan as well, making the combo epically sad. I feel for you. The hockey fan doomed to cheer for epic combo suckage while still always feeling entitlement that isn't there. In a way, that realization of your arrogance makes the transition of empathy towards gloating that much esier.

Last edited:

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Isles have Varlamov and Sorokin.

I firmly believe that he'll go to the Capitals and platoon or start over Samsonov.

Sorokin and Varlomov. No, thank you. Isles fans have seen the king at his worst, when we shell him. Not a team guy, blaming every blue shirt on the ice.

Oh I know. I just meant in the sense of trolling the Blueshirts if he was bitter about it, plus he wouldn't even have to move.

Pittsburgh may also have a goalie slot opening up.....

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
There are two hilarious statements in your post. The first is that the Isles shelled Lundqvist. They were about one of few teams who couldn't do that. Yes, NYI was that bad. In case you missed the last decade, NYI was an absolute joke. Even against most of the NYR clown teams, it was absolutely a battle where an even more pathetic NYI team found an overdrive by the power of being the underdogs. They maybe put in 200% against NYR and maybe stumled over a win, to then suck absolute donkey ass for another 5 games and look like a joke. I find it hilarious you judge Lundqvist's career on the performances against NYI.

The two certainties on the main boards was NYI and TOR fans hyping their new team for the next season for the last decade, until they continued to suck ass, missing the playoffs basically always by a wide margin. It was like clockwork every august to get the NYI/ TOR threads about the new hype, before the inevitable crash.

This NYI playoff run doesn't change history. The second argument of yours is that Lundqvist isn't a team guy. I find the first argument the most hilarious, even though the second is also quite laughable (especially how you found it out: NYI shelling NYR and Lundqvist. ROFL!). Most of the goals NYI managed to score against Lundqvist were the most laughable circus pinball bounces I've ever seen. Standard NYI goal: Off a stick, off a skate, off an ass of a defender, singling into the net by another ass. Such world beaters. If Lundqvist could see it, he would rob even the almighty NYI of a sure goal.

Your added statements together makes you a dubious poster with terrible connection to reality. A bitter NYI fan. Possibly a TOR fan as well, making the combo epically sad. I feel for you. The hockey fan doomed to cheer for epic combo suckage while still always feeling entitlement that isn't there. In a way, that realization of your arrogance makes the transition of empathy towards gloating that much esier.
It happened a few times, it was not a nightly occurrence. It was against us, and he had a melt down. Maybe it was a case of it being worse to him because it was us, whatever. I watched us win four in a row, and I saw the Roilers win the Cup in 94. Here is a 2018 game where he let in 5 goals om 17 shots:

I am not going to find the games, just standing by my simple statement that you replied to with the Gettysburg Address. Take the dubious poster thing and ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad