Confirmed Trade: [NYR/OTT] Tyler Motte for Julien Gauthier and conditional 2023 7th round pick (becomes 6th if NYR win a playoff series)

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
All the Motte haters: are you aware hes one of Bedards favorite players? Do you know better than him? Thats what I thought
Is this for real? is he Bedard's favorite player? Maybe the Vancouver connection when he played for the Canucks?

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Goth is big, strong, and fast. Unfortunately, while he gets many breakaways, he seldom converts on said chances. His play away from the puck isn’t great either and he has very questionable IQ. But he’ll draw penalties due to his size, strength, and speed. He has incredible physical tools but thus far hasn’t turned them into a quality NHLer. He hasn’t shown much of anything with his shot either.

Maybe a change of scenery will do him good, living right near French Canada. Maybe he’ll get somd opportunities on the 3rd line there and make something of it. I wish him the best.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
On the brightside, since Gauthier was traded from NY, his career will take off ala Blais, Pionk, Skjei, and a bunch of others.

But seriously, I could legit see Gauthier putting it all together in Ottawa. I would say that Senators fans should be cautiously optimistic and excited. When you talk about rare physical specimens, Gauthier is on that list. He's like Rick Nash without the finishing ability. He's strong as a bull and a VERY fast skater. He's excellent at drawing penalties due to his sheer size and speed. He just can't finish, he's only now starting to learn how to use his body and strength and he has very poor on-ice vision and hockey IQ. He'll get loads of breakaways but the guy can't put the puck in the net.

But like I said, maybe a change of scenery will unlock his potential. It certainly did with loads of other ex-Rangers. I'll say this, if Gauthier was like 19 and 20 and showed the raw talent that he has, you'd have a lot of people excited about his potential.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Hope you enjoy breakaways where the player drags the puck across at high speed and tries to tuck in the backhand only to miss the net or put it right into the goalies pad. Its Gauthier's specialty.

Had a pretty nasty goal this year against the Devils doing that but maybe that was the proverbial a broken clock is right twice a day. :laugh:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Maybe this off-season they can give Tyler a contract instead of sending more picks for him next deadline.

He fit well last year, and can be a longterm fit in their bottom six. He’s not looking for crazy money either. The fit is there long-term. Give the man a 3 year deal and he’ll be an even better fit with more consistency during their window.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Gauthier just can’t figure it out at the NHL level. Upside and tools are there to be an effective power forward, really strong skater. Hes normally the physically strongest player on the ice but he is soft as butter and never uses his strength. Struggles to finish

Think that goes back to Juniors really. He was always a big guy who could really move...but projecting him as a "power forward" felt like misrepresenting his game.

I did still think he could potentially carve out something for himself as a "Mantha type" big guy who can score a bit, even without the real mean streak. Maybe not to the same level, but it seemed like it could materialize into something at least. I guess not.

At this point, he's pretty much an AHL/NHL "tweener" with waning draft pedigree to hold him over.

Fine for both parties though. Sens get a fringe body with a tiny last little sparkle of draft pedigree upside and good physical tools, plus a random late round lottery ticket.

Rangers get a guy they're familiar with who fills the type of role the want in a 4th line PK/energy grinder for basically nothing.

Everybody wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2