Confirmed with Link: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
They probably saw a lot of him while they were secretly scouting Kovalchuk.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Rykov is a full-time player for SKA, an NHL-quality team. He's only 20 years old. Say what you will, but a SKA-Rangers series would probably go 6 or 7 games. A 20 year old who can keep up on that team, how awful could he be?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Hoping the team knows a bit more about them than others since Shesty is on that team. Seems decent, playing D well in the KHL at 20 aint bad.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Rykov is a full-time player for SKA, an NHL-quality team. He's only 20 years old. Say what you will, but a SKA-Rangers series would probably go 6 or 7 games. A 20 year old who can keep up on that team, how awful could he be?

And this organization has seen him most likely quite a bit

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not sure what the complaints are about.

It’s a second rounder closer to the middle of the draft.

Rykov has some potential and I believe his contract is up this year, so he could be AHL bound next season.

More immediately Rykov is working on positioning, strength and his overall read in his own zone.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

edit- my bad this is real old.. brain fart.. thought it was from 2017

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
For what it’s worth, I thought Grabner was playing far over his head here. Will always respect the guy for that, but I don’t think he’ll have the same impact on another team.
Eh, I thought that at first but you don't play over your head for 2 years. It's like Nash being "snakebitten" for years. Once it's been that long, that's just the player you are now.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Ian Pulz‏ @HockeyPulz

Next up is Yegor Rykov. I can't believe how similar his game style is to Sami Vatanen, and how I didn't notice it beforehand...everything from the jersey tuck and skating style to defensive zone breakout passes, and how he runs the offensive zone blue line. It's just remarkable. Rykov hasn't been used as the workhorse for SKA-Neva like Vatanen has for NJ, but Rykov is averaging about 18 minutes of ice time in his time in the VHL. That's 4th out of defensemen, so while he's stationed on the top-pairing, he's more used as a 2nd pairing guy for now. This isn't a bad thing, he plays a lot of special teams minutes, like top Powerplay and Penalty Kill units. He's averaging about 1.1 shots per game in his time in the VHL so far as well. He had a great rush up the ice and split two defensemen but flubbed the shot. Overall, he's got 2nd pairing NHL potential in my opinion, and has all the right tools to be able to make such an impact over here. An area of improvement for him is to continue to add muscle to help him in board battles and not get overwhelmed by larger forwards.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I doubt that with our current roster we would win a series against SKA right now.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Gorton did well here. Got what will probably be between the 45th and 55th overall pick and a good defensive prospect for a rental.

I would even argue that we got more than market value here. I like how Rykov's scouting report reads.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
We have our McDonagh replacement

57bd80df50c3b4_90773952.jpeg

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Devils fans seems pretty high on his potential, but I guess the knock is he's one of those not so sure if he'll want to come overseas deals you hear about so often in Russia. Honestly the Rangers might have taken the gamble knowing they have IS as his teammate and Buchnevich already here.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad