Confirmed with Link: [NYR] Jimmy Vesey re-signs (2 years, $2.275M AAV)

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
1 year at that figure is very generous, 2 years at that figure is excessively generous.

For where his career is, he's a bad month of November away from getting his 4Runner on Route 91 towards Hartford.

At the same time, if it 'clicks' that's a fine contract for the team in Year 2. Just don't think he deserves the 2nd year in any shape or form.

I just don't like the guy, don't want him, but it's whatever at this point. Prove me wrong, but I'll be rooting for the healthy competition to expose how he doesn't belong in a regular NHL role.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I don't like seeing the "slightly overpaid" keep reoccurring. Can we get a couple fair or bargains out of our RFA's?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
1 year at that figure is very generous, 2 years at that figure is excessively generous.

For where his career is, he's a bad month of November away from getting his 4Runner on Route 91 towards Hartford.

At the same time, if it 'clicks' that's a fine contract for the team in Year 2. Just don't think he deserves the 2nd year in any shape or form.

I just don't like the guy, don't want him, but it's whatever at this point. Prove me wrong, but I'll be rooting for the healthy competition to expose how he doesn't belong in a regular NHL role.
I feel like 33 goals over 2 seasons buys him a bit more than 2 months into next season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't like seeing the "slightly overpaid" keep reoccurring. Can we get a couple fair or bargains out of our RFA's?

Well the people saying "slightly overpaid" are saying so based off their opinion so I wouln't put much weight to it...

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It does. For 2.2m I expected a 3-year deal. All in all, I don't think it's worth arguing over. A depth player got a 2-year extension.

Yeah I wasn't sure.

Unless he blossoms, I don't really have any issue letting him play out his contract and then walking as a UFA. We need the middle agers to fill holes right now.

If we can't back fill his position by then, we're pretty much f***ed.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
He was always gonna get a two year bridge. I had him pegged at 2 yrs for 1.75 million so this is more than I would have gave but it's fine

No real issue with him expiring as an UFA. If he improves you can offer him a contract, and if he sucks you can trade him or not re-sign him

Seems like a win either way

Reactions: egelband

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Namestnikov and Vesey both signed two year contracts and both of them were two years away from group III. The Rangers didn't used to do that. They would always leave themselves one year before group III to negotiate a contract or they would get one year or two years of group III. They aren't sure about either player. If the player was two years away, it would longer than two. The Rangers weren't looking to give a free agent more than two years.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
He was always gonna get a two year bridge. I had him pegged at 2 yrs for 1.75 million so this is more than I would have gave but it's fine

No real issue with him expiring as an UFA. If he improves you can offer him a contract, and if he sucks you can trade him or not re-sign him

Seems like a win either way

The previous bridge deals didn't take the player to group III.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Namestnikov and Vesey both signed two year contracts and both of them were two years away from group III. The Rangers didn't used to do that. They would always leave themselves one year before group III to negotiate a contract or they would get one year or two years of group III. They aren't sure about either player. If the player was two years away, it would longer than two. The Rangers weren't looking to give a free agent more than two years.
Indeed, plus if we were to buy out years of his UFA he probably would have asked for 2.75M. This is a good deal any way you slice it. If he improves then the Rangers can just offer him an extension. Of he doesn't then you let him walk and we have a pipeline of new prospects ready to take his roll.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Well the people saying "slightly overpaid" are saying so based off their opinion so I wouln't put much weight to it...
it's might be opinions but it seems to be the consensus around here, how often to do see so much agreement on this? Also really smart projections had him at about $2m so again slight overpayment based on a very detailed comparison of comparables.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
More than I would have given as far as cap $'s. I felt the same with Namestnikov. The Rangers do have plenty of cap space so it's probably not that big of a deal. Still more $'s raises expectations and it's up to Vesey to meet them.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad