Confirmed with Link: NYR have Signed Igor Shesterkin and Vitali Kravtsov to ELCs (Confirmed by NYR)

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn

His English has really improved. JD had mentioned how pleased they were with his commitment to spend the whole summer here to work out and assimilate.

Also, looks like he might be growing out some salad. Kravtsov flying up the ice with golden curls falling out of his bucket is a moment that I am here for.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

His English has really improved. JD had mentioned how pleased they were with his commitment to spend the whole summer here to work out and assimilate.

Also, looks like he might be growing out some salad. Kravtsov flying up the ice with golden curls falling out of his bucket is a moment that I am here for.

Hopefully CK gets to him before 89 does!

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Expecting ...
- 50 points for VK (assuming line 2 + PP time)
- 930+ S% for IS in Hartford; 915+ in NYR

Thoughts?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Expecting ...
- 50 points for VK (assuming line 2 + PP time)
- 930+ S% for IS in Hartford; 915+ in NYR

Thoughts?

For Kravtsov, it depends on his ice/PP time and who he's playing with. 50 is possible with the right situation.

My bet would be that Shesty's save percentage is lower in Hartford than in NY, though that could be skewed based on how many games he gets in NY. Look at Georgiev's numbers the last 2 years:

Hartford: .909 and .883
NY: .918 and .914

Maybe Hartford will be better this year, but teams tend to play a less structured game in the AHL.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
For Kravtsov, it depends on his ice/PP time and who he's playing with. 50 is possible with the right situation.

My bet would be that Shesty's save percentage is lower in Hartford than in NY, though that could be skewed based on how many games he gets in NY. Look at Georgiev's numbers the last 2 years:

Hartford: .909 and .883
NY: .918 and .914

Maybe Hartford will be better this year, but teams tend to play a less structured game in the AHL.

Good point regarding Shesty. A goalie can do only so much. Need the team in front of him to play defense.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
A lot of goalies have lower SV% in the AHL than NHL. Yes, the shooters are worse and the offensive creativity is worse, but there are far more major defensive breakdowns and lapses. Even on good AHL teams, some of these goalies face way more HDSC per game than they would in the NHL.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I would say Quinn is faaaar less arbitrary than that. If Quinn scratches a guy, it's because of lack of effort. It has shown with Buch for example. Came back from being scratched and played better. It seldomly happened that a player AV scratched came back and played better.

Reactions: egelband and pblawr

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I would say Quinn is faaaar less arbitrary than that. If Quinn scratches a guy, it's because of lack of effort. It has shown with Buch for example. Came back from being scratched and played better. It seldomly happened that a player AV scratched came back and played better.

It's just annoying that the same behavior that people criticized AV for, seems to fly under the radar with Quinn. How were Vesey, Pionk and Howden (pre-injury) not held accountable for their bad games?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It's just annoying that the same behavior that people criticized AV for, seems to fly under the radar with Quinn. How were Vesey, Pionk and Howden (pre-injury) not held accountable for their bad games?
I’d argue it’s very different when one coach scratches a guy and doesn’t tell them why and the other makes it very clear to the player why they’ve been scratched and what they need to do to not be scratched

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Because Quinn doesn’t scratch players for bad games, he scratches them when either they’ve put in bad effort or they’ve done things that specifically went against his instruction. A player could easily have a game where they make mistakes, but their effort level is good and they listened to the coaching staff.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
My issue is that guys like Pionk, Vesey, Howden got away with poor play for longer because they looked like they were putting in more effort. But it was still poor play and bad habits that needed corrrction, just because a guy is skating all over the ice doesn’t mean he’s doing much

That said he did limit vesey and pionks icetime later in the season because of their struggles. Don’t really remember howden

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
My issue is that guys like Pionk, Vesey, Howden got away with poor play for longer because they looked like they were putting in more effort. But it was still poor play and bad habits that needed corrrction, just because a guy is skating all over the ice doesn’t mean he’s doing much

That said he did limit vesey and pionks icetime later in the season because of their struggles. Don’t really remember howden

tenor.gif

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

As long as the effort is there and the player is trying to do the right things, there's nothing wrong with letting young guys (yes, Vesey is still a young guy) have the chance to learn and improve. That isn't a 10- or 20- game process. As you said, as it became apparent that there wasn't improvement, the ice-time started diminishing. Howden is a little bit of a different story, just because he had that injury and then had only a little time after returning.

There's also this thing about how when you develop people, treating everyone the same way isn't the most effective way to do it well. Not everyone responds to negative reinforcement in the same way. Not everyone responds to longer leash in the same way. It's possible that Quinn made the determination that Buchnevich's personality would make him respond well to benching, where Vesey might take it much harder and have a harder time recovering.

I wouldn't say I believe Quinn was perfect in this regard last year, but it's hard for me to criticize when I only get one or two factors in the decisions over the large number of factors that are a part of them. There are lots of reasons why some players might get longer leashes than other players.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
There's also the fact that there are different expectations for different players. The expectation is that rookies are going to make mistakes and for years, we've wanted coaches to let them work through those mistakes and not bench them every time they do something wrong. Pionk and Howden were both rookies, yet people wanted them benched for making mistakes. Okay. A player like Buchnevich has been in the league longer and has higher expectations placed upon him. The coaching staff knew he could be better and pushed him to reach that level. A guy like Staal? There's nowhere for him to go. He is what he is. Benching him isn't going to make him a better player. He doesn't provide a lot, but he doesn't make a lot of mistakes either, and he always gives a consistent effort.

And it needs to be pointed out too that there are only so many seats on the bench. Maybe there are 5 players who deserve it, but you've still got to ice a team, so you bench the one or two that you feel will respond to it the best. And as GeorgeKaplan said, we don't have all of the information. We don't know what's going on in practice. We don't know what Quinn is seeing in video that we aren't seeing in the game. We don't know what Quinn is asking of each player and how they are responding to it.

There isn't a coach in the NHL, past or present, who is going to hold players accountable in the same way the fans expect him to. The coach is going to have different priorities than we do and he's going to have information that we don't have.

You can complain about which players get benched and which don't, which ones deserve it more than others, but at the end of the day it's about the coach getting the most out of his players. Can anyone honestly say that Quinn didn't get this team to play above its abilities most nights? Can anyone say that both Buchnevich and ADA, players who received the most tough love, didn't benefit from the way Quinn handled them?

Let the man do his job and stop second guessing every decision he makes.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don't really mind playing someone like Brett Howden through his mistakes in the situation we are in but I do mind playing someone like Staal who hasn't been a competent defender in 5 years top minutes regardless of what's going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad