Confirmed with Link: #NYR have acquired the 41st pick and Etem from ANA for Hagelin

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Hags v Etem

I do t think he will ever be a dominant player. The player to carry the line. I do, however think he can be a good complimentary player. In that role, I think he could be a middle-6 player.

To that extent, would Hags ever have been consistently top 6 with us, barring injury? I was one who believed he would, in his prime (yet to come, IMO). But we mostly know what we had in Hags as a player. Etem will immediately fill Hags slot at even strength, maybe even his points production, even if not his exact role (PK, breakaways, drawing penalties), but his upside is not yet known.

Etem is 23 (June 16th) and has 112 NHL games played over three seasons (38-29-45) at 31 points. When Hagelin turned 23 (Aug 23rd, 2011) he had not yet played a SINGLE NHL GAME. His upside was a total mystery.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Has anyone posted the advanced stats charts on Etem yet? I will use those to determine if he's good or not.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but this kid is pretty special, nice story. And cool that he won a championship with Stepan at St. Mary's (5:03 of Part 1)

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I am so shocked to see people saying that Fast's potential is 15 goals. Huh? He has offensive talent far beyond Hagelin. I love Hagelin and didn't want to see him go, but it always kills me to see him get breakaways and not score. If you gave Hags the hands and shot of Fast, he was be at least a 25 goal guy. As it is, 15-19 goals and less than 40 points. Fast can be a 20+ goal guy and break 40pts at his peak. I have always said that he is Hags with better offense. Doesn't have his top speed, but still super quick. All I have to point to is that game against Tampa when he had two goals. Nobody has ever seen Hags score on a breakaway like that. I see him having a statistically similar year to Hagelin this year if he is playing on the 3rd line. I think he is wasted on the 4th.

419forever

Mar 14, 2008
NJ
I am so shocked to see people saying that Fast's potential is 15 goals. Huh? He has offensive talent far beyond Hagelin. I love Hagelin and didn't want to see him go, but it always kills me to see him get breakaways and not score. If you gave Hags the hands and shot of Fast, he was be at least a 25 goal guy. As it is, 15-19 goals and less than 40 points. Fast can be a 20+ goal guy and break 40pts at his peak. I have always said that he is Hags with better offense. Doesn't have his top speed, but still super quick. All I have to point to is that game against Tampa when he had two goals. Nobody has ever seen Hags score on a breakaway like that. I see him having a statistically similar year to Hagelin this year if he is playing on the 3rd line. I think he is wasted on the 4th.

Agreed. Few guys can step into a top 6 role and be effective and that's exactly what Fast was during the playoffs. His combination tenacity and offensive IQ creates space for both him and the guys playing around him. Hagelin could turn on the jets and go, but he's never making a play like the one Fast created and executed on the GWG in Game 5 vs Washington.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Isles fan coming here in peace. I head down to Norfolk a couple times a year and have seen him play over the last 3 seasons. Etem right now looks like your classic tweener. Lots of talent but hasn't put it together at the NHL level yet. Good skater and has good size as well. Probably will leave you wanting more but at the same time if given a full season has the potential to put 20 in.

Pretty much an unknown at how we will perform given a full season at the NHL level.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Etem seems kind of similar to where Miller is at right now.

You look at the stats and you see a guy who hasn't proven much. Depending on what games you watch of his, if you tune in just now and then you might have caught him being pretty unnoticable.

But if we traded miller we'd be up in arms far beyond what the stats and some stray viewings would suggest is reasonable. Because we see what he can do and have an idea of what he can be. I think Etem is in the same position. Then, thinking of something like Miller and Gropp for Hahelin, that really doesn't sound bad.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Edge, is this what you were talking about when you were saying you saw the Rangers making that would make it a little less comfortable in the locker room? I know the cap was an issue, but you also have the bromances that disappear with Hagelin gone.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

You look at the stats and you see a guy who hasn't proven much. Depending on what games you watch of his, if you tune in just now and then you might have caught him being pretty unnoticable.

But if we traded miller we'd be up in arms far beyond what the stats and some stray viewings would suggest is reasonable. Because we see what he can do and have an idea of what he can be. I think Etem is in the same position. Then, thinking of something like Miller and Gropp for Hahelin, that really doesn't sound bad.

i like the comparison with those 2.

as someone who's always felt jt miller's offensive upside here is a bit over done, i would agree. not sure jt has the focus to play the C.

etem has the athletic ability to be a very good 3rd line nhl winger. same can be said for miller. they both have skills but the hands may lack a little and surely the brain lags behind the hands. i see them as 15 maybe 20 goal guys.

i feel both of them have the best chance for success on the 3rd line. neither impresses me with their deep understanding of the game. intuitiveness isn't eithers calling card.

guys like this are undervalued however. both can be important role players this upcoming season.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
i like the comparison with those 2.

as someone who's always felt jt miller's offensive upside here is a bit over done, i would agree. not sure jt has the focus to play the C.

etem has the athletic ability to be a very good 3rd line nhl winger. same can be said for miller. they both have skills but the hands may lack a little and surely the brain lags behind the hands. i see them as 15 maybe 20 goal guys.

i feel both of them have the best chance for success on the 3rd line. neither impresses me with their deep understanding of the game. intuitiveness isn't eithers calling card.

guys like this are undervalued however. both can be important role players this upcoming season.

Agreed. Personally, I can imagine either of them growing into pretty good second line forwards even, but probably not both of them. That's fine up until they can reasonably demand to be paid like more than they are - which should be a few years from now in both cases.

IMO, if they can both show pretty reasonable amounts of improvement, they can be very good third line players as soon as this upcoming season. Put them with Hayes and you've got a tough line to handle considering the matchups they'll be getting.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Etem just turned 23 two weeks ago. He's played in 262 pro games, 135 of them in the NHL regular season and playoffs.

When Hagelin turned 23 he had played in just 5 pro games, all in the AHL. He wouldn't make his NHL debut for another few months.

Etem is not super young, but he certainly has time to grow his game. His numbers are remarkably similar to Miller's.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Has anyone posted the advanced stats charts on Etem yet? I will use those to determine if he's good or not.

He spent a lot of his time with Clayton Stoner, Nate Thompson, and Tim Jackman so he hasn't spent too much time with quality teammates. He also helped raised Hampus Lindholm and Cam Fowler's CF% when they were on the ice together which is promising to see.

Honestly, the most surprising thing is how he's performed against his most common competition last season.

Out of the top-10 forwards he's faced: (Other players are Sam Gagner, Tobias Reider, and Chris Higgins)
Justin Williams: 56.8 CF%
Jeff Carter: 78.4 CF%
Nick Bonino: 56.2 CF%
Marian Gaborik: 61.3 CF%
Jannik Hansen: 65.4 CF%
Trevor Lewis: 55.6 CF%
Anze Kopitar: 55.6 CF%

Defense competition (top 5 against):
Matt Greene: 75.5 CF%
Yandle: 65.3 CF%
Doughty: 58.3 CF%
Edler: 38.6 C% (his worst performance except for playing against Tanev and Brendan Smith)
Muzzin: 62.5 CF%

Keep in mind, these are relatively small sample sizes since he only played 41 games this season. However, it's not like he played against a bunch of goons. He had a lot of high quality competition and performed well against them.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011

Miller's best year was in 2011-12 with 25 goals 62 points in 61 games in the OHL. Etem's best year was 2011-12 with 61 goals 107 points in the WHL in 65 games. Etem had three years with 37 goals or more at Medicine Hat. Their current NHL stats are almost identical. However, I think looking at both full bodies of work, Etem definitely has a better upside.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Miller's best year was in 2011-12 with 25 goals 62 points in 61 games in the OHL. Etem's best year was 2011-12 with 61 goals 107 points in the WHL in 65 games. Etem had three years with 37 goals or more at Medicine Hat. Their current NHL stats are almost identical. However, I think looking at both full bodies of work, Etem definitely has a better upside.

I don't think you can compare what happened before Etem and Miller turned pro. Miller only played one year in Juniors and had comparable numbers to Etem's first year--then Miller moved on to the AHL, while Etem stayed in Juniors for another two years. Miller has certainly had his ups and downs since then, but I think he's reached the point where he's going to be in the lineup everyday and produce.

I don't really recall seeing Etem play, so I can't comment on him just yet. But, he's coming to a new organization and he's going to have to start from square one--which might very well be on the 4th line--until he can prove something more to the coaching staff.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
You guys are trying really hard to put lipstick on a pig.

Etem is an infuriating player. There is no upside. He is what he is - a fast guy who makes a ton of mistakes and can't finish.

He's a thrown in. The real move was moving up close to 20 spots to grab a coveted goal scoring prospect and save money.

They will replace Hagelin in free agency.

Just accept it: When your good, your players become expensive. All of them. What Gropp does or doesn't become will judge this trade.

Etem stinks. He's not going to improve in any portion of the game except maybe penalty killing.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

Etem is an infuriating player. There is no upside. He is what he is - a fast guy who makes a ton of mistakes and can't finish.

He's a thrown in. The real move was moving up close to 20 spots to grab a coveted goal scoring prospect and save money.

Just accept it: When your good, your players become expensive. All of them. What Gropp does or doesn't become will judge this trade.

Etem stinks. He's not going to improve in any portion of the game except maybe penalty killing.

I actually feel the same way about Etem, but you gotta give him a shot. Especially because the Rangers are one of the best development teams out there.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

You could say the same thing for Miller and I'd doubt it just as much.

He's a young guy who hasn't been in the league too long. I'm not saying he's for sure going to take another big step, but its certainly possible at his age and experience level.

This team has taken guys who weren't much and made the best of them repeatedly. Let's see what he does here.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Since you can see into the future, can you also tell us the next time we win the cup? That way I will cancel my season tickets until that year.

Last edited:

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I think Etem will be given every opportunity to take Hagelin's spot. Brassard and Poulliot were both reclamation projects. At worst, he fills a 4th line spot and allows Fast to move up into Hagelin's role, which I think is really Fast's ideal role. However, if he clicks in AV's system, look out. The Rangers have saved lots of cap space by doing these reclamation projects.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Brassard wasn't a reclamation project. He was an established NHL player with multiple seasons under his belt.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Brassard wasn't a reclamation project. He was an established NHL player with multiple seasons under his belt.

Agreed. Brassard was a solid NHL player despite not producing the way he was expected to. When he joined us, he started producing like the 1st round pick he was. Maybe not a reclamation project, but he did give his career a bump with his performance at MSG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad