May 24, 2008
Sarnia
These teams have a history of trading
Strome
Smith at 50
For
Geekie
2nd

Strome works well w Fast. Canes have space and some contracts coming off the books to handle the extra year on Strome

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Take out Smith and it's reasonable. Including Smith means the pick should be significantly lower than a 2nd.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
What is the deal with Strome and Rangers fans? Is because he isn’t a great center?

I give him credit as he puts up points but the main issue is he isn’t the long term fit at C

rather clear space , get some assets and go top C hunting

he also can drive you nuts w bone head penalties in the offensive zone

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I give him credit as he puts up points but the main issue is he isn’t the long term fit at C

rather clear space , get some assets and go top C hunting

he also can drive you nuts w bone head penalties in the offensive zone
The value of the trade is good and his contract is a good value too.
Im not sure we are okay with boneheaded penalties though. He would have been the 3rd highest penalty minutes on the squad last season. A more respectful middle of the pack this season though.

He is okay being a winger and not a center?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The value of the trade is good and his contract is a good value too.
Im not sure we are okay with boneheaded penalties though. He would have been the 3rd highest penalty minutes on the squad last season. A more respectful middle of the pack this season though.

He is okay being a winger and not a center?

he can play wing but on NYR he’s been a C like 90 percent of the time

is Geekie exempt from the expansion draft ?

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Geekie hasn't even solidified himself as a full time NHL player. He seems to have a nice scoring touch but its his skating that holds him back.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
FWIW i was/am one of Strome's bigger critics on HFNYR, but he's made some strides this season vs. last. He's not taking nearly as many dumb penalties, and he's been less dependent on Panarin to get his points. He's also been one of our better PKers (albeit not Buch level) for the second consecutive season

I don't think he's a long-term option for the Rangers due to his age, but he's been more than acceptable as a fill-in while the team builds back towards contendership.

Reactions: eco's bones

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I could see the Canes possibly having an interest in Smith as a depth defenseman at 50%, but I assume they'd want a RHD vs. a LHD so not sure he'd be the first choice.

I'm personally not that interested in Strome though for a couple of reasons.
First, he's not a great skater and the Canes system relies on effort, skating and getting in on the forecheck. Not sure he's the right guy for that system.
Secondly, his $4.5M cap hit for next year really hamstrings the Canes as it comes to re-signing Hamilton, signing Svechnikov, and replacing some of the UFAs (all 3 goalies, Martinook, McGinn, Paquette). I don't want that money spent on Strome.
Thirdly, he's a C and with Aho, Trocheck, Staal, Geekie, Lorentz and even Paquette/Martinook, it's not a need (barring injury of course). I'd rather go after a winger.

If Canes are going to be using Geekie and a 2nd round pick, I'd rather they shoot higher, even if the cost is more.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Geekie hasn't even solidified himself as a full time NHL player. He seems to have a nice scoring touch but its his skating that holds him back.
We have enough of those. We can't fit anymore bad skaters/slow skaters in our lineup.

I see no reason move Strome this season. He's not really a player where the value significantly jumps getting him this year instead of the offseason/next season. Our center position would take a hit. Not that we are going anywhere this season, but nobody wants to see an unwatchable performance every game. Not the fans. Not the organization.

Smith is on his final year. We don't need teams doing us a favor unless it's a big time deal involving cap space moved to fit a high priced player coming back.

Reactions: eco's bones

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm personally not that interested in Strome though for a couple of reasons.
First, he's not a great skater and the Canes system relies on effort, skating and getting in on the forecheck. Not sure he's the right guy for that system.
I haven't seen a game where Strome's skating hindered his performance, or created an issue in any zone. Effort? Sure. Probably. Boneheaded decisions? Sure. But his skating hasn't been an issue in keeping up with the play, or getting in as a forechecker. I think Ryan is a much better skater than Dylan.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I haven't seen a game where Strome's skating hindered his performance, or created an issue in any zone. Effort? Sure. Probably. Boneheaded decisions? Sure. But his skating hasn't been an issue in keeping up with the play, or getting in as a forechecked. I think Ryan is a much better skater than Dylan.

Fair enough. He's always looked slow to me when watching. Effort and boneheaded decisions would be a problem with a Rod Brind'Amour coached team though.

Even so, I don't think he's a guy the Canes, with their current center depth, would want to spend $4.5M in cap space on when they are looking at signing Hamilton, Svech, replacing UFAs and getting goaltending. Seems like the wrong place to spend.

I think this move, if it meant they can't sign Hamilton, would HURT the Canes going forward more than it would help.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not feeling it from a Canes side of things.

Not particularly hot on Strome or Smith. I’d target other players first and also not a huge fan of trading Geekie and a 2nd for that package.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
A 2nd round pick and prospect who may or may not be a 3rd liner would make the Rangers great?

Carolina might not like the fit, but the value isn't off.

I don't think the value is terrible, just not the fit. If the Canes are going to expend resources (any resources), it's not the deal I'd want to do. Prolonged injuries could change that, although Strome still wouldn't be my choice.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
A 2nd round pick and prospect who may or may not be a 3rd liner would make the Rangers great?

Carolina might not like the fit, but the value isn't off.

Definitely don’t like the fit. Don’t doubt his ability to put up points but he would be to replace Trochek while he’s out of the lineup so need some who can do more than just secondary offense

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
This is a circumstance in which term is not the positive that it generally is. If Carolina acquires Strome and he doesn't fit like he has in New York, moving him out clean could be a problem given the cap challenges across the league.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
Rangers cant afford to deal a C. Depth is non existent at the center position and Strome has played well.

Smith has also surprised me with his play this year.. Maybe it is due to Rangers going with younger faster Dmen. He also adds some nastiness on the back line as well, which is needed in playoffs. At a $ discount he would be a good add to a Cup contender looking for depth at D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad