Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Alexandar Georgiev signs extension (2 years, $2.425M AAV)

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Seems a bit high for what he has shown so far, but after this year the cap wont be a big issue.
A sign they are done adding big pieces for now?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Very good deal. I said he wasn’t getting more than 2.5m, but I would have preferred 2-2.25m. Not worried about the extra 200-425k though, worth it for one of the better backups in the league, who is young and could still be a potential starter elsewhere.

Not saying that the end result will be the same, but they’re definitely trying to follow Vancouver’s model on how they handled Schneider. I’m more than ok with that.

This will help get him some more experience under his belt and help build up his value even more. Then when the goaltending market is not oversaturated like it was this offseason, then they can deal him and get more in return. Excellent work by JG and JD here.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Definitely a bit high for a backup. Bigger issue is that NYR still has to re-sign Strome, DeAngelo and Lemieux(who is also going the arbitration route).

yes, they have $15 million left, but you dont want to spend it all. Nice to have some cap left for trades and such later in the year.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
600k more than I would have liked, but what can you do? Backups want to be paid as well. The difference between what I expected and what he got won't help us sign anyone.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Definitely a bit high for a backup. Bigger issue is that NYR still has to re-sign Strome, DeAngelo and Lemieux(who is also going the arbitration route).

yes, they have $15 million left, but you dont want to spend it all. Nice to have some cap left for trades and such later in the year.
It's not so much the trades and more so the ELC performance bonuses against the cap we need to worry about.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not bad. Will probably get about 30-35 games in over next year then likely less the year after. Then he'll likely find a starting job on another team.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
A bit pricey no?

For what others are getting I think it's a great sign by the Rangers he's a young proven backup and has shown he can start 77 nhl games under his belt counts for something.....Rangers handled the goalie situation right in not trading him last year unless they were blown away.....The czar and him and not to mention many top young prospects in their system......they can easily trade him or make a deal with Seattle at the expansion draft next year...They are a team to watch out for Gorton has been making a lot of good moves for them since taking reigns.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad