Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2003
KW
He will get destroyed in the corners in a real NHL game

He's fine, he's fine until a 6'4 230lb defenseman catches him in pinch. The kid is 18 years old, he can't be more than 165 pounds, give him time to develop. There's an attractive option to send him to the Marlies, let him experience an extended schedule and gain valuable time at the WJC.

Being shifty and elusive, and having great awareness and vision will help more than having a big body. Lindros is a prime example of this.

To claim that he's no more than 165lbs is pure fabrication.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
That's not a quality that enables you to play center though.

You need some beef and a willingness/confidence to go into the corners and dig the puck out; C's go everywhere and rightfully so. At this time, I don't see him keeping a guy from coming out of the corner with the puck to the front of the net.

And I don't care what height and weight he is listed at right now - he looks small out there. I also don't get where people think he's a speed demon like Kessel or something out there - he's shifty and his speed is deceptive, but not outright mindblowing. It is much more flattering on YT on a big sheet of ice.

Sending him to the A (which can be just as much physical as the big league in some respects) is a bad move, IMO - send him back home to play his 50-55 games on the bigger pond and bulk up where the game is somewhat less physical.

He wasn't exactly lighting it up with MODO before he left, so there's still a lot for him to learn.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
if we're worried about him getting injured... I'm not sure that the AHL is any better than the NHL... in fact, it could be even worse.

at least in the NHL, we can protect him a bit... I feel like there's not a lot you can do in the AHL if some idiot does something stupid to injure your player.

I agree, and I guess, if they do send him down to play with the Marlies, Orr and/or McLaren should go with him. :sarcasm:

silentbob37*

You need some beef and a willingness/confidence to go into the corners and dig the puck out; C's go everywhere and rightfully so. At this time, I don't see him keeping a guy from coming out of the corner with the puck to the front of the net.

And I don't care what height and weight he is listed at right now - he looks small out there. I also don't get where people think he's a speed demon like Kessel or something out there - he's shifty and his speed is deceptive, but not outright mindblowing. It is much more flattering on YT on a big sheet of ice.

Sending him to the A (which can be just as much physical as the big league in some respects) is a bad move, IMO - send him back home to play his 50-55 games on the bigger pond and bulk up where the game is somewhat less physical.

He wasn't exactly lighting it up with MODO before he left, so there's still a lot for him to learn.

I would think he'd get more international play in Sweden as well, for what its worth.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Kadri is one of the skinniest (and prolly weakest) dudes in the NHL...

Jacob8hockey*

Pretty funny incident on twitter today, one downside of being 18 in Toronto.

90% sure he had a random drunk tweet last night at 3am LOL. He replied to himself saying wewwewewwwsweww or something along that line.

Had a good laugh but its been deleted since then so I can't post the proof.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

I see Nylander as more of a Kadri/Roy/Ribeiro type with good but not crazy speed but have exceptional vision, dangles and can stickhandle in a phone booth.

Sending him back to Sweden does seem like the best choice. Get him away from the Toronto bubble. He still has plenty of opportunity to develop overseas on a team that has produced some darn good talent in a league that is known for D which is an area he lacks in on a team run by Forsberg/Naslund.

Also well give him a chance to compete in the world juniors which hasn't done yet.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Find a 17/18 year old that's lit up the SHL. It doesn't happen.

If he were in the CHL, you have to think he would have had a similar season to everyone's golden boy Ehlers.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I've seen nothing from Nylander that says he can't play in the NHL now. he has the skill, and he has the speed. Plus he is elusive enough to not get destroyed like people say he will.

His maturity and how the team thinks he will develop best in the long term is what will keep him off the Leafs. Not his play.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
As someone mentioned, size won't determine whether he's with the Leafs or not. If he can contribute and learn in the NHL, then he will be with the big club. And I think out of everyone left in camp, he's best suited for our 2nd line winger spot over Clarkson.

If you don't think he can contribute to this team right now, then you clearly haven't watched the games he has played so far. That's all it comes down to. Can he learn, get better AND contribute now in the NHL? Yes he can.

silentbob37*

As someone mentioned, size won't determine whether he's with the Leafs or not. If he can contribute and learn in the NHL, then he will be with the big club. And I think out of everyone left in camp, he's best suited for our 2nd line winger spot over Clarkson.

If you don't think he can contribute to this team right now, then you clearly haven't watched the games he has played so far. That's all it comes down to. Can he learn, get better AND contribute now in the NHL? Yes he can.

If he isn't physically mature enough to handle the NHL he shouldn't be there yet.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've seen nothing from Nylander that says he can't play in the NHL now. he has the skill, and he has the speed. Plus he is elusive enough to not get destroyed like people say he will.

His maturity and how the team thinks he will develop best in the long term is what will keep him off the Leafs. Not his play.

When someone does destroy him you will see you were wrong. But then it will be too late, the damage will be done.

What's the upside anyway? Squeak into the playoffs and lose the chance to draft high in the coming draft stacked draft? I'd rather get another high-end talent and see what him and Nylander can do for us down the line.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Big difference watching Bennett play vs Nylander. Sam is much further along in his development than Willy. Very impressive display last night. I'm hoping next year Willy can dominate like that next year

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If he isn't physically mature enough to handle the NHL he shouldn't be there yet.

6'0, 185lbs is NHL size, and like the poster stated, he is allusive, and has the awareness to ensure he he doesn't get killed.

What I have been looking for, and Ray Ferraro mentioned it as well Wednesday, is that the telling factor to if he stays or not, is if he can keep control of the puck, and not get pushed off, and if he can strip pucks away from the opponent and cause turnovers.

So far, he's done that. His possession and corsi stats through his first two games has been fantastic. Believe he leds our team in Corsi (he's been the only player to be >50% in both games he has played) and CorsiRel

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
has he even been bumped off the puck yet this preseason?

i know i've seen him win a number of board battles already.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Why do the Leafs need to play Nylander?

Can anyone say that in his career right now he's better(or more NHL ready) than:

Kessel
Bozo
JVR
Lupul
Kadri
Santorelli
Booth
Clarkson
Holland
LEOOOOO
Winnik
Frattin

?

Does he have more raw Skill than some of those guys? Of course he does, but there is no reason to put him in the line-up because the team doesn't need to worry about him providing offence. So let him develop by playing a lot of hockey minutes, and then come back better.

he has flat outplayed all of those names other than jvr and kadri so far.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
he has flat outplayed all of those names other than jvr and kadri so far.

Outplayed them over 2 games not 10, not 82 and not 8 seasons.

Have to be mindful of taking preseason with a grain of salt, if it was a true competition every year you'd have stars sitting in the minors, and guys like Jon Sim playing 1st line C roles out of camp.

I do agree with you though, I think unequivocally we can say Nylander could at least play top 6 mins in the AHL, if not better... Based on the sample we've got

The conversation has changed from can he play in the NHL to should he play

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Willy can play NHL now. He is in the exact same decision realm as Morgan was last year for the team. He is not going to be anywhere but Toronto now. That could be with the Marlies too. I hope he gets challenged hard by the team wherever he plays.

His size means nothing from what I have seen of him.

The Leafs will send him down for a very short time at the start. The first call up he gets might be his last.

Last edited:

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
If Jeff Skinner 5'10 and 182 lbs can play in NHL as an 18 yo, Nylander can play at 5'11 and 179 lbs for sure. Nylander also plays with his head up like Kadri. Question is which of the leafs fans are just a bunch of losers and who want to see this *****ing team win.

I want to see us win so count me in with those who want to see Nylander with the team. Go Leafs Go. :yo:

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Being shifty and elusive, and having great awareness and vision will help more than having a big body. Lindros is a prime example of this.

To claim that he's no more than 165lbs is pure fabrication.

Ask any reputable person, he's listed at 180 lbs there's no way. Nylander is a lot closer to 165

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
If Jeff Skinner 5'10 and 182 lbs can play in NHL as an 18 yo, Nylander can play at 5'11 and 179 lbs for sure. Nylander also plays with his head up like Kadri. Question is which of the leafs fans are just a bunch of losers and who want to see this *****ing team win.

I want to see us win so count me in with those who want to see Nylander with the team. Go Leafs Go. :yo:

What's the best case scenario if Nylander did play in the NHL this season? Average second line winger type of offensive production with below average defense would be an optimistic but somewhat realistic prediction.

The question for me is this. Does that makes us a significantly better team? I don't think it does, so why use up a year of his ELC when a year later he could make an even bigger impact and contribute to what's hopefully a much improved team.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Ask any reputable person, he's listed at 180 lbs there's no way. Nylander is a lot closer to 165
I've already been there...people believe what they want to believe. He's already been referred to as a "physical specimen" on these boards.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
What's the best case scenario if Nylander did play in the NHL this season? Average second line winger type of offensive production with below average defense would be an optimistic but somewhat realistic prediction.

The question for me is this. Does that makes us a significantly better team? I don't think it does, so why use up a year of his ELC when a year later he could make an even bigger impact and contribute to what's hopefully a much improved team.

That would perfectly fill the glaring hole on our 2nd line, and really give us a deadly top 2 lines and pp units.

So yea, significantly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad