Proposal: Nylander trade ideas

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
A lot, they are my 2nd favorite team.... rielly is always underwhelming tho

Do you not watch the leafs? Doesn’t seem like it.
You are prob one of those fans that blames Freddie instead of shitty defenders like rielly

Dubas is just building a feeder fish to the big sharks like Tampa columbus islanders hurricanes and Boston, soon rangers
Man, you sure don't post like they are.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I think Leaf's would love to get Wilson if I'm Caps no way I'd trade him.....He brings a lot to the game even though the NHL is doing all it can to take contact out of a contact sport....Wilson brings a very well rounded game to the ice and will fight on top of it.....the other trades hard pass.,,,

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I get the idea of a Huberdeau for Nylander swap but it isn’t great value for Florida (which is better than my usual feeling on this board)

Huberdeau is coming off his second 90+ point season (I’ll take his pace as achieving it) and is signed to a very affordable contract for the next 3 years, which should cover most of his prime. He has insane chemistry with Barky

Nylander has been a 60-70 point forward for a few seasons (I’ll discount his bad 2018-2019) signed for a million more for a year more. I think it is possible that Nylander improves but how much is difficult: 75 points,85, 90?

I just don’t see the value in swapping for a player currently worst but with the potential to be better when the contract is more expensive now when cap is tight and is only one more year.
it took Huberdeau 7 seasons to hit the 90 point mark, which he has done one time, previous high 69 points, a few 50+, and high 20's in points his other seasons (injuries aside, that is not helpful)
Nylander is a few year behind, and has that one sucky high 20's season, else averages 60 (save 22 game rookie)
Huberdeau does not look like he will regress, and looks to have found/hit his stride in the NHL
Nylander is not there yet, and his 59pts in 68 games shows there is potential for growth still. ...how much, is to be determined
Nylanders hit a career high of 32 goals in the 68 games with is more than Huberdeau has ever scored (30 in his 92 point season)
Huberdeau may/should be able to hit 30 again (was trending slightly under 30 last season)
Nylander should be able to surpass 30 if history, and career trending holds true.

so, a Huberdeau for Nylander swap does favor Florida, if they want more goals, and speed/skill in the lineup. Huberdeau is a more rounded player in my opinion, but, if Nylander is never used in a defensive situation, its hard to say he cant, since not given the chance.
He could excel on the PK, as he has great puck takeaway numbers/ability, and speed, but, has never been placed in that role which is disappointing.

on championship teams the best players PK as well, not 'saved' for offense only. (this is a knock against leafs coaching the past few years)

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
31 goals in 70 games = .44 goals per game

Then obviously it's a 91 game season which means he's on pace for just over 40 goals. Sure it's 9 games over a typical regular season, but it's still on pace for 40 goals. :sarcasm:

The only team that I think considers one of the offers is Minnesota.

He was using the metric system.......

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The chance that Nylander "could" have been on the table, would have been for a top pairing, youngish RHD. Nothing else really makes sense for Toronto, and now that they have Brodie, there isn't a need to make that trade at all. The Leafs could use a guy like a Weegar perhaps, but I highly doubt that Nylander would be on the table for that, especially given Dubas balked at Johnsson + Dermott in a trade for Weegar (allegedly).

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
it took Huberdeau 7 seasons to hit the 90 point mark, which he has done one time, previous high 69 points, a few 50+, and high 20's in points his other seasons (injuries aside, that is not helpful)
Nylander is a few year behind, and has that one sucky high 20's season, else averages 60 (save 22 game rookie)
Huberdeau does not look like he will regress, and looks to have found/hit his stride in the NHL
Nylander is not there yet, and his 59pts in 68 games shows there is potential for growth still. ...how much, is to be determined
Nylanders hit a career high of 32 goals in the 68 games with is more than Huberdeau has ever scored (30 in his 92 point season)
Huberdeau may/should be able to hit 30 again (was trending slightly under 30 last season)
Nylander should be able to surpass 30 if history, and career trending holds true.

so, a Huberdeau for Nylander swap does favor Florida, if they want more goals, and speed/skill in the lineup. Huberdeau is a more rounded player in my opinion, but, if Nylander is never used in a defensive situation, its hard to say he cant, since not given the chance.
He could excel on the PK, as he has great puck takeaway numbers/ability, and speed, but, has never been placed in that role which is disappointing.

on championship teams the best players PK as well, not 'saved' for offense only. (this is a knock against leafs coaching the past few years)

Did Huberdeau not just have nearly a 80pt year? 78 in 69gp

We get it, TOR fans will always point out Huberdeaus slow start to his career.
Go look at the points leaders on those teams. Bjugstad led the team with 38pts one year. 38 points!!
Huberdeau was usually top 3 in points the first 3 years and when Barkov got up to speed, he started producing 55 to 60ish pts.

Put Nylander with Bjugstad vs Matthews and see what happens.

Keep Nylander and we will keep Huberdeau, its a lateral move anyhow in the sense, Huberdeau has proven better point totals but older where Nylander is younger and has the potential to pass 70pts if given more TOI.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hes the only one benefiting from your fantasy, eh?

Edit: Also you calling Nylander "little" is quite funny. I'm sure you're 185 and 90, in the shape of a professional athlete.
Did you just use cms and kgs for Nylanders size? I get it’s the standard for most of the world but that seems very odd in this situation

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Did Huberdeau not just have nearly a 80pt year? 78 in 69gp

We get it, TOR fans will always point out Huberdeaus slow start to his career.
Go look at the points leaders on those teams. Bjugstad led the team with 38pts one year. 38 points!!
Huberdeau was usually top 3 in points the first 3 years and when Barkov got up to speed, he started producing 55 to 60ish pts.

Put Nylander with Bjugstad vs Matthews and see what happens.

Keep Nylander and we will keep Huberdeau, its a lateral move anyhow in the sense, Huberdeau has proven better point totals but older where Nylander is younger and has the potential to pass 70pts if given more TOI.

you must have missed my point entirely ...Nylander is a better goal scorer (only), so, if Florida wants more offense, you need more goal scoring ability.
Huberdeau on the other hand puts up more points (assists) and has a more rounded game.
I didnt say one was better than the other, they are entirely different players, and players do develop over time.
Huberdeau is already developed, Nylander is still developing.
Nylander will score more Goals
Huberdeau will get more Points

if team A needs more goals, they go for Nylander, but if team A needs a puck distributer, (because they already have enough goal scoring), they obviously take Huberdeau

if there is an advantage, it has historically always gone to the goal scorer, not the setup guy, and then add that the goal scorer is the younger player, and that could offset the 'intangibles'
...but, this would still be a toss up based on need

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
you must have missed my point entirely ...Nylander is a better goal scorer (only), so, if Florida wants more offense, you need more goal scoring ability.
Huberdeau on the other hand puts up more points (assists) and has a more rounded game.
I didnt say one was better than the other, they are entirely different players, and players do develop over time.
Huberdeau is already developed, Nylander is still developing.
Nylander will score more Goals
Huberdeau will get more Points

if team A needs more goals, they go for Nylander, but if team A needs a puck distributer, (because they already have enough goal scoring), they obviously take Huberdeau

if there is an advantage, it has historically always gone to the goal scorer, not the setup guy, and then add that the goal scorer is the younger player, and that could offset the 'intangibles'
...but, this would still be a toss up based on need
I don’t understand this “Nylander will score more goals” he had a shooting percentage just over 10% his first 2 years, we’ll ignore the hold out year, then this year jumped to almost 16%. All to put him on pace for 37 goals. After a career high of 22. Huberdeau has had 27, 30, and 27 (pace) this year. Those seem pretty in line to be even moving forward unless you’re expecting Nylander to shoot 16% moving forward

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I don’t understand this “Nylander will score more goals” he had a shooting percentage just over 10% his first 2 years, we’ll ignore the hold out year, then this year jumped to almost 16%. All to put him on pace for 37 goals. After a career high of 22. Huberdeau has had 27, 30, and 27 (pace) this year. Those seem pretty in line to be even moving forward unless you’re expecting Nylander to shoot 16% moving forward
Go take a look at Nylander's goal and shot heat map this year compared to past years and you will see why his shooting percentage is up. Can find them on Icy data (IcyData » William Nylander Stats)

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Do you not watch the leafs? Doesn’t seem like it.
You are prob one of those fans that blames Freddie instead of shitty defenders like rielly

Dubas is just building a feeder fish to the big sharks like Tampa columbus islanders hurricanes and Boston, soon rangers
Rielly >> Lindholm bud get over it it.

Rielly "shitty defender" lmao thats gold.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

If all players had the same development I’d agree, but they don’t: I’m not sure when Nylander will reasonably become an 86-95 point player or if he will.

You’re right that Nylander is a slightly better goal scorer but it’s not clear how big of a difference: it looks like Huby has roughly been a high 20s to 30 goal scorer while Nylander a bit more. It does look part of it goal scoring on the power play.

Fixing contracts I cannot help but find that this is the mystery box vs boat trade

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Rielly >> Lindholm bud get over it it.

Rielly "shitty defender" lmao thats gold.
He isn’t a good defender at all... everyone knows that... it’s part of the reason why they get stomped in the playoffs every year.

Your welcome to your opinion, but I’d rather have lindholm

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He isn’t a good defender at all... everyone knows that... it’s part of the reason why they get stomped in the playoffs every year.

Your welcome to your opinion, but I’d rather have lindholm
That just isn't true at all :laugh:

Yes, you're entitled to your wrong opinion as well I suppose.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That just isn't true at all :laugh:

Yes, you're entitled to your wrong opinion as well I suppose.
It’s literally the most true thing in this thread... he is over rated like crazy... hope the leafs give him pietrangelo contract lol

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

One thing you're very much omitting (which is either something you didn't think about, or just didn't care to observe), is the increase in scoring from when Huberdeau entered the league to when Nylander did.

For Huberdeau's first 5 years in the league, there were only 5-7 guys who'd play 60+ games and go PPG+, by 2017-18 (Nylander's second year, Huberdeau's 6th), there were over 20 guys in the league doing that same thing. From Huberdeau's entrance into the league to that 2017-18 season there was almost a 0.3 goals per game increase in the NHL, equivalent to an extra 13 or so goals per team and an extra 400 goals per season.

You can't compare guys who started in the early 2010's to guys who started in the late 2010's in terms of 'it took this long to get to that point!'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad