Speculation: Nylander contract talk (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
No state tax in Florida. Hedman, Kucherov, Stamkos. All underpaid but clearing the same pay they would get in Montreal or Toronto. Radulov told the Habs he wanted $1M more per year to offset taxes and the Habs said no so Radulov walked.

That's not really relevant. The point was that signing a bridge after lengthy negotiations would cause issues down the road.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just like how signing a bridge in October really hurt Kucherov. Oh wait, he signed a good long term deal this offseason.

I still expect a long term contract anyways.

You are trying very hard in intentionally ignoring both situations are not the same. But Ok Capt Obvious. Kucherov took a chance on himself, and he cashed in. So if Nylander gets the same result, bets on himself and cashes in. He is going to want to be paid too right? And I bet it will be for more than what he is asking for right now. Care to agree or disagree with this.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
You are trying very hard in intentionally ignoring both situations are not the same. But Ok Capt Obvious. Kucherov took a chance on himself, and he cashed in. So if Nylander gets the same result, he is going to want to be paid too right? And I bet it will be for more than what he is asking now. Care to agree or disagree with this.

If Nylander becomes a superstar he will get paid like one, yes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's not really relevant. The point was that signing a bridge after lengthy negotiations would cause issues down the road.

It might, it might not. A gamble to some degree if Nylander increases his pt/game stats in that bridge deal. But what happens if he stays who he is today, the cap rises significantly, and Marleau is off the books?

Bridge deals can work but they can burn you. It did with Subban with the Habs. But it might be the best option for both sides in the end after a tough summer of negotiations

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Nylander becomes a superstar he will get paid like one, yes.

Then what are you disagreeing with? The we can and we will, be be put to a test when all 3 want to be paid, and if they all prove themselves more they will. So as you can see, you answered your own question about we will later on. Not going to be as easy as Dubas suggested it would be with we can and we will. Now disagree or agree with this if you want.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are trying very hard in intentionally ignoring both situations are not the same. But Ok Capt Obvious. Kucherov took a chance on himself, and he cashed in. So if Nylander gets the same result, bets on himself and cashes in. He is going to want to be paid too right? And I bet it will be for more than what he is asking for right now. Care to agree or disagree with this.

I think the Leafs prefer the long term team friendly deal cause they are fully aware of the increase of stats Nylander would have with Tavares, Matthews, Kadri being up the middle. They would be very worried about a larger contract demand after the bridge deal.

7 x $7M. Just get it done

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Then what are you disagreeing with? The we can and we will, be be put to a test when all 3 want to be paid, and if they all prove themselves more they will. So as you can see, you answered your own question about we will later on. Not going to be as easy as Dubas suggested it would be with we can and we will. Now disagree or agree with this if you want.

Yes, I still disagree with Dubas ever suggesting it would be easy when he specifically said it would take extreme patience.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think the Leafs prefer the long term team friendly deal cause they are fully aware of the increase of stats Nylander would have with Tavares, Matthews, Kadri being up the middle. They would be very worried about a larger contract demand after the bridge deal.

Actually I think the team would probably be more open to a bridge than Nylander, who seems to really want long-term.

A bridge could make sense to give the team more flexibility now. But I'm guessing Nylander wants security and to be paid during the lockout. And he'll likely sign long-term in October, like Gaudreau did (same agent).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
When he becomes a superstar, you can use the Crosby contract as a comparable then? :sarcasm:

If Nylander becomes a superstar after 2 years on a bridge. Dubas will not be able to keep all 3 as he boldly proclaimed on July 4. Not with Tavares on the books for a guaranteed 77M over 7 years with Matthews and Marner up. Hockey does not work that way. There is a cap for a reason.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Actually I think the team would probably be more open to a bridge than Nylander, who seems to really want long-term.

A bridge could make sense to give the team more flexibility now. But I'm guessing Nylander wants security and to be paid during the lockout. And he'll likely sign long-term in October, like Gaudreau did (same agent).

Not a troll comment but I don't know what to believe anymore. One Leaf fan says the team would prefer the bridge deal more than Nylander and other Leafs fans say they want a Long term deal.

Anyways, I think all options are being discussed.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes, I still disagree with Dubas ever suggesting it would be easy when he specifically said it would take extreme patience.

I agree he backtracked on the patience part after he prematurely said we can and we will when reality hit him full force on that statement as he is learning right now with what Nylander's expectations are.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Not a troll comment but I don't know what to believe anymore. One Leaf fan says the team would prefer the bridge deal more than Nylander and other Leafs fans say they want a Long term deal.

They both want long-term. That's the goal for each party.

Having said that I think the Leafs would be more willing to compromise with a bridge than Nylander would be.

Also fans of the team don't all think the same like a hivemind. There are divisive arguments about who should make the roster right now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They both want long-term.

Having said that I think the Leafs would be more willing to compromise with a bridge than Nylander would be.

Also fans of the team don't all think the same like a hivemind. There are divisive arguments about who should make the roster right now.

And since you brought up Kucherov for a reason, if Nylander becomes a superstar like Kucherov is. How does Dubas can and will with all 3? Bridge is betting on yourself. If Nylander is right, then does Dubas we can and we will come back to bite him? We know what he meant. Locking up the big 3 long term with Tavares on the books. Is it still possible? Your turn.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
And since you brought up Kucherov for a reason, if Nylander becomes a superstar like Kucherov is. How does Dubas can and will with all 3? Bridge is betting on yourself. If Nylander is right, then does Dubas we can and we will come back to bite him. We know what he meant. Locking up the big 3 long term with Tavares on the books. Is it possible? Your turn.

If Nylander becomes Kucherov we're probably winning a Cup or coming damn close. That's what we call a good problem.

I still expect a long-term deal. I don't think Nylander wants to go into the lockout without a contract. Nylander's agent also represents Gaudreau, who signed long-term after a similar wait.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Nylander becomes a superstar after 2 years on a bridge. Dubas will not be able to keep all 3 as he boldly proclaimed on July 4. Not with Tavares on the books for a guaranteed 77M over 7 years with Matthews and Marner up. Hockey does not work that way. There is a cap for a reason.

No idea. After 2 years, there would be a measure of how the young kids can produce in the NHL on ELC. If the Leafs are forced to use players who have disappointed or go to UFA to make improvements they are in trouble. If the kids fill holes on ELC and show promise and produce, then that changes things.

- Marleau's contract is gone after 2 more seasons
- Kessel's cap hit of $1.2M is gone after 4 years
- Hainsey who is used as a top 4D is 38 next year and do they bring him back? Frees up $3M in cap space but a top 4D hole
- Anderson is due for a raise after 3 years.
- Gardner is UFA after this year. Do they bring him back at a similar rate?
- How good are Dermott, Liljegren, and Sandin? How lone will it take for them to be ready to fill top 4D holes?
- Kadri needs a new contract after 4 years.
- Reilly needs a new contract after 4 years.

* Upcoming RFA's: Nylander, Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, Dermott

Just too many questions and hard to predict how the next 2 or 3 years go. I think the window to win is with the Kadri, Anderson, Reilly contracts. 3 or 4 years from now. So why not go for the bridge deal with Nylander? Would 4 years be a big problem with how things are currently set up? Still leaves him with one more year of RFA control.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Nylander becomes Kucherov we're probably winning a Cup or coming damn close. That's what we call a good problem.

I still expect a long-term deal. I don't think Nylander wants to go into the lockout without a contract. Nylander's agent also represents Gaudreau, who signed long-term after a similar wait.

If Nylander gets a long term contract in the Pasta territory. Him and his agent win. There is no way at this time he has shown he is as good as Pasta has shown himself to be. And isn't this the point? You may argue that Dubas' comments had nothing to do with this, I think players and agents read the comments, they gauge the media, and what people perceive. They would leverage those comments in squeezing every last dollar from the Leafs. If Nylander signs long term close to Pasta's numbers. I think he and his agent did well in this negotiations. That's the point.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If Nylander gets a long term contract in the Pasta territory. Him and his agent win. There is no way at this time he has shown he is as good as Pasta has shown himself to be. And isn't this the point? You may argue that Dubas' comments had nothing to do with this, I think players and agents read the comments, they gauge the media, and what people perceive. They would leverage those comments in squeezing every last dollar from the Leafs. If Nylander signs long term close to Pasta's numbers. I think he and his agent did well in this negotiations. That's the point.
If he signs at 6.67 for term...both he and the Leafs both win.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Are the Leafs allowed to trade the salary retention with Kessel? If so, what about Kessel's 1.2M cap hit and Domi for Nylander? I'd also add Pleky as part of the deal as you are looking for a 4th line center for one year.

Very likely the Leafs say no but worth a phone call.
The Leafs would refuse that outright.

But outside of the value prop, I don;t think they could trade the 1.2 retention hit over to Montreal. You could do it the roundabout way, where Montreal retains 1.2 on Domi, instead... but he's only signed for 2 seasons.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Leafs would refuse that outright.

But outside of the value prop, I don;t think they could trade the 1.2 retention hit over to Montreal. You could do it the roundabout way, where Montreal retains 1.2 on Domi, instead... but he's only signed for 2 seasons.

Figured. It was nice talking. I was only trying to improve the Habs depth but give a solid option in return to the Leafs while they save much needed cap space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

There is one full year and a $5M cap increase separating Nylander vs Pasta. It's reasonable to expect the value to go up for a 60+ pts player who is a fringe center and winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad