Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Whatever he gets paid(if) he should realize the more he gets, the more that is expected of him. Under achievers get roasted in HF Boards land.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I say a lot more then that. Odd that it is announced now and I think Willy now signs that on the table deals. Leafs flexing not only their money but their influence.

I wonder if Reebok mandates he be playing in the NHL in order to get paid. Leafs can use that.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
when does the time run out ?

- 2/3 days ?
- 1 wk ?
- start of the season ?
- nov/dec ?
pretty sure the deadline for him to sign and still play is December 1st, although maybe someone can correct me. I'd be very surprised if he isn't signed by the home opener, but it's no big deal if he misses it

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
you can say whatever you want. Value is dictated by the market

And the market has proven to be inefficient many many times. As a Leaf fan this shouldn't be new to you. JT as the highest paid player in the league is an overpayment plain and simple. Sure it might be a discount based on what was offered to him, but that doesn't matter when looking at the Leafs salary cap. When looking at the Leafs salary cap paying JT 11M is not a discount.

Reactions: freshwind

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I wonder if Reebok mandates he be playing in the NHL in order to get paid. Leafs can use that.

Not necessarily what’s the harm in signing it. If he doesn’t play in the nhl he is in the exact same situation as he would be without signing with reebok

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You may want to talk to the owners about that one as well instead of just blaming the players

So because he's good and will make money playing a pro sport where he's risking injury everytime he steps on the ice he doesn't get the same employment rights as everybody else?

Now I want you to explain to me how much money someone needs to have before which rights he has get removed?

My point is I’d be blaming both

Reactions: Notsince67

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Not necessarily what’s the harm in signing it. If he doesn’t play in the nhl he is in the exact same situation as he would be without signing with reebok
Well, something like a 500k endorsement deal gets activated, even if he has to take 300k less AAV with the Leafs. He's up a net 200k compared to nothing.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If Nylander doesn't sign by the Dec 1 deadline, I imagine his rights would be sought after by a team looking to minimize cap for a rebuild. Trade a player this year and defer the salary on Nylander for next year. Can hardball an offer and let the agent sweat out the negotiation until the following Dec 1. My guess is that Willy signs that one even though it is way lower than what the Leafs offered.
People can't blame Willy for dragging this out so they can't complain of Teams maximizing their advantage.

Reactions: dsred

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well, something like a 500k endorsement deal gets activated, even if he has to 300k less AAV with the Leafs. He's up a net 200k compared to nothing.

Right but it’s there whether he signs more or less than what he is wanting, I doubt they have a clause though they have what appears to be a commercial already with him on their twitter making a big deal about it. Seems like something they wouldn’t do if it were possible he wasn’t in the nhl in a couple of months and they were to let him go from his contract

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The last thing I want is for Dubas to overpay. Not even by $500,000.
Team comes before the player

That said, I wonder if Willy signs tomorrow.
Watching the leafs play tonight would be just terrible. Combine that with the fact that his endorsement deal is signed now, he should just hop on a plane and take whatever deal suits his fancy(assuming the leafs are offering multiple options)
Either way, he could make $50 million very easily I'm sure

There is a reason Matthews isn’t playing tonight, giving time for Willy to say yes and be ready for tomorrow night

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: my name is Bob

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If you're a Leafs fan the last thing you should want is Dubas paying too much.

I want Nylander playing and both parties to get a number on the contract everybody can live with, I have no problems with both sides using whatever leverage they have to get the best deal possible for themselves

The last thing I want is for Dubas to overpay. Not even by $500,000.
Team comes before the player

That said, I wonder if Willy signs tomorrow.
Watching the leafs play tonight would be just terrible. Combine that with the fact that his endorsement deal is signed now, he should just hop on a plane and take whatever deal suits his fancy(assuming the leafs are offering multiple options)
Either way, he could make $50 million very easily I'm sure

50M?
Over his career he will but I doubt this contract will net him that much
Dubas is trying to not overpay, that's why he's being as patient as he is imo
I just hope this thing gets wrapped up in time for him to play the first game of the season

The agent should be dealing in good faith. Good luck to Willy but my old man taught me that you mess with the bull, you get the horns.

What makes you believe the agent isn't dealing in good Faith?
We're playing hardball as well, is that bad Faith dealing to?

Didn't realize it's all for Willie's benefit...

The Average Sports Agent's Commission

So?
Do you think the agent shouldn't get paid?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Dec 1 to remain eligible to play for the year. That probably means Oct 31 before they figure out where to trade him to
i remember Dubas saying he was going to sit down with players individually and explain what's expected of them and his vision for the team and that he wants everyone to buy into his vision

now's the time to stand behind his stated belief that players need to buy in for the team to have success and trade Willie since it's obvious he's not buying into KD's vision and the same goes for Marner and Mathews if they don't buy in

and if doesn't trade the non "buy in" players he should stop with the cliches because he'll just end up making himself look like a fool

Last edited:

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Would like to see him sign. However if he is playing hard ball and deems 6 mil per is not enough; I wouldn't be upset with;

Trade nylander for the right handed d pesce from Carolina

Pesce cap hit 4 mil per 6 years
Re sign gardner for 6 mil per (give him the extra 2 per from the nylander contract)

Nylander for 6 = Pesce and Gardnier long term. And I dont like Gardiner....

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
i remember Dubas saying he was going to sit down with players individually and explain to what's expected of them and his vision for the team and that he wants everyone to buy into his vision

now's the time to stand behind his stated belief that players need to buy in for the team to have success and trade Willie since it's obvious he's not buying into KD's vision and the same goes for Marner and Mathews if they don't buy in

and if doesn't trade the non "buy in" players he should stop with the cliches because he'll just end up making himself look like a fool

So you’d be ok with trading all 3 if all 3 don’t agree with dubas vision? And then the promises made to JT are broken and he wants out and zach hymannis our best forward. it’s all possible

Reactions: freshwind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad