Nylander contract discussion - New Poll

What is your limit for a "Cap %" for Nylander

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Further exacerbating the studs and duds model that's delivered one playoff round win since it's inception 6 years ago...

This franchise deserves everything it's had coming to it.
Unfortunately, it's the loyal and passionate fans that are the ones that get the brunt of it. Everybody else milks the cash cow. Willie's turn next. Absolute laughingstock of the league.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I’m indifferent. On one hand I’m tired of this team getting no team friendly deals besides maybe Rielly, on the other, we’re a better team with WN.

Unless Marner waives his NMC, next year is a wash. As is this year. I am hopeful for the proceeding years with JT making substantially less and the other 3 taking less cap % over time.

Think Matthews and Nylander are our go to guys.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
One more thing I love here too is the duplicity, Paul Marner takes legit heat here, but it's the exact same thing with Nylander's meddling dad.

“This is a unique negotiation because of Michael Nylander," writes Friedman. "Honestly, I feel gross writing it because I hate bringing up family when it comes to this stuff. But it is a factor and why everyone is so careful in discussing where things stand. He plays a major role in these conversations and William is very loyal (to his Dad), as you would expect.”

Greed, greed, greed.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner's number will almost certainly end up being higher. If nothing else, management is committed to this group. I think they will be rewarded for it, but I understand the criticism.
It is clear Shanny is going to run it back as many times as it takes, but come on how can you give Willie more than Pastrnak when you already have 3 $11m players and have won one round in 7 years?

To me this deal signals that this organization is not serious about winning. Anybody else is free to believe what they want to believe. 56 years of futility is proof.

Last edited:

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It is clear Shanny is going to run it back as many times as it takes, but come on how can you give Willie more than Pastrnak when you already have 3 $11m players and have won one round in 7 years?
The closing of Leafs window is upon us people
8 years more of this!!

Can’t wait for 88 to struggle after this and leafsnation turns on him like Dion or kessel!! More fun to come

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Marner is getting 13+ a year. Easily.
Yup, probably something close to that. I think they will maintain the salary hierarchy of Matthews/Marner/Nylander, with Tavares dropping down to a very manageable number.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Serious question why did Rielly leave any money on the table at all when he knew these greedy shitheads were just gonna take it for themselves with no desire for the team to improve at all.

"The caps going up guys. Deal is fine. Overreacting." All as every leaf comparable continues to sign for less than Leafs players.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Insane.

I just don't understand why they feel like they HAVE TO keep resigning all of these guys at the highest possible deal.

I get Matthews. He's the best player 100%. If there's one player that deserves "pay him what he wants money", it's him..... but the other guys?

Let's say they were to let Nylander walk and use that money (plus whatever cap space they have) to improve the Defense, we would arguably be a better team overall.

I'm not in favor of losing Nylander for nothing, but maybe actually doing so wouldn't be as bad as keeping him at this price.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
But would other teams throw 13.14 x 7 at Nylander?

That's how much he needs to reach 92M on the open market.

A team like Chicago could be a wild card. Big market, rebuilding. Bedard attraction. Were rumoured to be interested in Willie and Elias Pettersson. Willie spent a few years in Chicago growing up. His brother played for the Hawks.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Flop contract. All we can do is hope one day this franchise will fall ass backwards into a cup.
Have not managed to do so in 56 years and I can't see them doing it in our lifetimes.

When it is all said and done, I wonder if fans will cheer for these 3 when they are brought back, if they never won us a Cup.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
full NMC according to friedman

hell yeah - i don't want the next GM if there is one getting any funny ideas

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Have not managed to do so in 56 years and I can't see them doing it in our lifetimes.

When it is all said and done, I wonder if fans will cheer for these 3 when they are brought back, if they never won us a Cup.
It feels like I have lowered my standarss. At this point I would just like to see a Leafs team in the Finals for once in my life.

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad