Confirmed Trade: [NYI/TOR] Pierre Engvall for 2024 3rd round pick

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Appreciate the candor. I really mean this, if The Leafs had somehow found a way to keep their depth players. And they had a lot of quality depth. Kadri, Hyman, Brown, even when they acquired Mcann. They had Matt Martin and gave him away. I could see this team winning the cup. I agree 100% you need your depth players in the playoffs. What could have been I suppose. Sure Engvall could have produced more in the playoffs, but I am not sure this is the reason the Leafs have failed. Maybe the coach could double shift Marner with Engvall, Sorry I don't see Kampf productive even if he played with Marner. But Engvall there is certainly a chance to produce if he played a smidgeon with Marner.

I believe there has been a slight philosophical switch up by Dubas

At one point he described his desired offense as wave after wave of attack

It hasn’t played out that way. And I think it took him a long time to figure out that if he wanted to take that approach, then he couldn’t do it with an extremely top heavy lineup.

There’s no changing the core now, so he’s had to shift to bringing in a bit more grit and sacrificing some scoring in the process. Engvall is part of that sacrifice. You’re right, Kampf is not the centre to drive statistical success for someone like Engvall, but it was clear Keefe never saw him as part of the top 6 at all as he was never once tried there.

It’ll take 7 games or fewer for us to know if the refreshed approach was the right one. I’m definitely still concerned with the ability of the bottom 6 to put the puck in the net.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
It's fair to say Pierre and Lou are quite happy with this so far. Was clearly a low-risk good reward gamble if you weren't just going to join the conversation to comment on how "soft" he is.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
By reading this thread I learned that Pierre Engvall is essentially a worse version of Andre Burakovsky. Pretty much word for word how Caps (and I assume Avs) fans would describe him: big and fast but soft as warm better, has laser of a shot, has a few terrific games in a row that make you think he’s really going to turn into something then goes through a 20 game stretch when you don’t even know if he’s playing or not, too often looks disinterested on the ice when he’s one of the more talented guys out there.

Good trade for the Isles. If there’s any team in the league that needs fewer plodders and grinders it’s them.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Honestly he was gone in the off season anyway. Leafs can’t afford to give him any type of raise above $2M and if I were him, I would’ve looked elsewhere, too. Win-win for both sides (though I am in the camp that believes Leafs fans will regret turning/moving on from this guy).

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
What are Isles fans comfortable paying him on his next contract? I am guessing Lou didn't trade for him just so he can walk this offseason.

Reactions: Ciao

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
What are Isles fans comfortable paying him on his next contract? I am guessing Lou didn't trade for him just so he can walk this offseason.
I'd like to see him finish out the year before throwing $ numbers out. I'd say a 4 year deal is a solid length though,

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Engvall hat trick on Matt Murray tomorrow. Murray throws a tantrum and knocks the net off intentionally after giving up the 3rd goal to one of the longest necks in NHL history.
giphy.gif

Reactions: banks

Jan 21, 2018
Engvall hat trick on Matt Murray tomorrow. Murray throws a tantrum and knocks the net off intentionally after giving up the 3rd goal to one of the longest necks in NHL history.

I’d say Matt Murray saved a puck but we all know that’s not happening.

Engvall hat trick?

the isles are averaging less than 3 goals per game, we all know that’s not happening.

Reactions: banks

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Engvall hat trick?

the isles are averaging less than 3 goals per game, we all know that’s not happening.
Sorry, Brock Nelson blows 3 shots over Murray’s shoulder and Engvall assists on all 3. Either way it results in an Islanders win. All wins in March are 4 goals except one vs Buffalo that was a 3-2 win.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Murray isn't playing. Samsonov is our starting goalie.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Regardless, I can promise the main boards if they want Leaf fans to think losing Engvall is a bad thing that will never happen. He's exactly the type of player the Leafs are trying to get the opposite of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad