Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Adam Pelech signs extension (8 years, $5.75M AAV)

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Evolving Hockey had Pelech at 5.66 over 8 years. Nurse's projections was 8.33.

I'm still not seeing how this was a steal. It was more of a fairly paid deal for a good player.
Probably because a lot of other d-men got PAID this off-season, so when we see a deal that’s not egregious, we think it’s a steal lol.
isles fans were worried that all the big money deals would drive up Pelech’s price, but Lou did Lou things

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Evolving Hockey had Pelech at 5.66 over 8 years. Nurse's projections was 8.33.

I'm still not seeing how this was a steal. It was more of a fairly paid deal for a good player.
It’s more so the term is a steal. If this was a short deal to take him to UFA, the next deal would probably be upwards of $7-$7.5 AAV for someone of his caliber considering what other top pairing guys are getting around the league.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Probably because a lot of other d-men got PAID this off-season, so when we see a deal that’s not egregious, we think it’s a steal lol.
isles fans were worried that all the big money deals would drive up Pelech’s price, but Lou did Lou things

A lot of those guys getting paid are top pairing dmen who put up points. Pelech is great in his own end but lacks the offensive numbers to help drive up his AAV.

Reactions: HabsQC

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
It’s more so the term is a steal. If this was a short deal to take him to UFA, the next deal would probably be upwards of $7-$7.5 AAV for someone of his caliber considering what other top pairing guys are getting around the league.

7+ on the AAV is waaay too much for a defensive dman, no matter how good he is in that end.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Did they have a projection for Nurse? I was just saying that there was a discrepancy in what Nurse and Pelech were getting paid, and that only using points to account for it wasn't enough.
Unfortunately they don’t have Nurse because his extension starts in 2022-23. The same with Jones.

Nurse feels overpaid or at least he’d getting a boost based on his career year of production in 2020-21 but Holland is presumably convinced Nurse will have another big year and then there’s was a danger he would walk. Edmonton does have trouble keeping players and they just lost Larsson (and it sounds like they also lost Klefbom to LTIR permanently with his shoulder which is both is sad and devastating to the Oilers).

Pelech is a defensive defenseman, a great one, but there’s a ceiling there in terms of salary. The production isn’t there, it doesn’t matter if not being on the PP contributes to that because even great defensive defensemen don’t typically get PP time, that’s expected.

It’s a good deal for both parties, it’s not an astonishing bargain, it’s really is market value, but there’s no trade clauses or signing bonuses. (I guess Pelech could have been a dick in negotiations but the team did just go deep in the playoffs twice, he has a perfect partner in Pulock, a fantastic coach and they’re going to play in a brand new arena, I assume he was obviously pretty keen on staying.)

Pelech just locked up his money until he’s 35 which is an understandable goal since he’ll be a 27 in week and has estimated salary earnings of ~7.9m (according to Cap Friendly) so far. And the deal is reasonably easy to dump if at the end his play drops off, so giving him a 8 year deal is no biggie for the NYI.

For instance last season, Pulock’s Evolving Wild estimate listed 2 years/5.827m and he did take a bit less with 2 years/5m. His 8 year estimate last year was 7.352m. (Pulock’s offense went down this year but as UFA RD he’s going to get paid.)

Toews got 4 years/4.1m and his estimate was 4.762m for four years. RFAs we’re taking haircuts that year but still that deal is incredible.

Evolving Wild doesn’t judge on value, it judges on the market and estimates what kind of deal that particular player will likely get based on similar players deals. Their model works surprisingly well (the Covid collapse of the winger market last season went off-model obviously) because that’s what teams and agents negotiate from. The best part of the Pelech deal is that Pelech is one of the premier defensive defensemen in the game and they don’t cost a ton. You’re better off with slightly less offense in his case and him costing millions less because of it IMO.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Unfortunately they don’t have Nurse because his extension starts in 2022-23. The same with Jones.

Nurse feels overpaid or at least he’d getting a boost based on his career year of production in 2020-21 but Holland is presumably convinced Nurse will have another big year and then there’s was a danger he would walk. Edmonton does have trouble keeping players and they just lost Larsson (and it sounds like they also lost Klefbom to LTIR permanently with his shoulder which is both is sad and devastating to the Oilers).

Pelech is a defensive defenseman, a great one, but there’s a ceiling there in terms of salary. The production isn’t there, it doesn’t matter if not being on the PP contributes to that because even great defensive defensemen don’t typically get PP time, that’s expected.

It’s a good deal for both parties, it’s not an astonishing bargain, it’s really is market value, but there’s no trade clauses or signing bonuses. (I guess Pelech could have been a dick in negotiations but the team did just go deep in the playoffs twice, he has a perfect partner in Pulock, a fantastic coach and they’re going to play in a brand new arena, I assume he was obviously pretty keen on staying.)

Pelech just locked up his money until he’s 35 which is an understandable goal since he’ll be a 27 in week and has estimated salary earnings of ~7.9m (according to Cap Friendly) so far. And the deal is reasonably easy to dump if at the end his play drops off, so giving him a 8 year deal is no biggie for the NYI.

For instance last season, Pulock’s Evolving Wild estimate listed 2 years/5.827m and he did take a bit less with 2 years/5m. His 8 year estimate last year was 7.352m. (Pulock’s offense went down this year but as UFA RD he’s going to get paid.)

Toews got 4 years/4.1m and his estimate was 4.762m for four years. RFAs we’re taking haircuts that year but still that deal is incredible.

Evolving Wild doesn’t judge on value, it judges on the market and estimates what kind of deal that particular player will likely get based on similar players deals. Their model works surprisingly well (the Covid collapse of the winger market last season went off-model obviously) because that’s what teams and agents negotiate from. The best part of the Pelech deal is that Pelech is one of the premier defensive defensemen in the game and they don’t cost a ton. You’re better off with slightly less offense in his case and him costing millions less because of it IMO.
Well put, I don't think we were in disagreement anywhere I just was making a short post regarding one point. Very articulate post here regarding the defense contracts being handed out.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And that impacts how much a player is paid. I don't see how this is a controversial statement at all.

I quoted your post where you referred to him as a second pairing defenseman because he doesn't produce more. Nowhere did I say that offensive production won't impact salary. I just disagreed with your take on what "type" of defenseman Pelech is just because his total minutes are lower due to less PP time

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Very solid contract for both sides. I don't understand why people would imagine this is an overpayment.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I'm a little late to the party, but...

Is that a picture of the Isles board after Tavares signed in Toronto?

Again, further proof that you guys have some strange obsessesion with leaf fans:

The Pelech thread in the Isles forum is loaded with posts about the Leafs. Your D gets re-signed and you guys have to discuss how it affects the leafs. You need to sneak into the Leafs board to see what their reaction to the signing is. It’s a pretty unhealthy obsession lol.

Living in your head rent-free i suppose :)

You're living in OUR heads rent-free? You're the one talking smack in the summer, as Leafs fans always do, because July is all you ever win. Your "victory" in the Tavares sweepstakes is literally the only "win" you have over any franchise in the entire National Hockey League in HOW many decades? You had like 4 to 6 times the money we did for 30 years, and you "Won" a whole lot of free agency/off-seasons and had about the same playoff success we did before we got owners to bring us back to being GOOD NOW.

You've got this backwards... the Islanders fans don't give a damn about THE LEAFS. THE LEAFS are a hilarious clown shoes organization that keeps making stupid moves, choke constantly and embarrass themselves. The Islanders fans felt betrayal by John Tavares.

That's it. THE LEAFS don't matter. When your team visits, and our crowd goes nuts... no one is booing THE LEAFS. It's ALL about JOHN TAVARES. What you heard most was WE DON'T NEED YOU. Not "Leafs Suck." The other 22 guys on the roster did nothing but crush your hopes and dreams again. Only Tavares did anything to us.

Now, do we make jokes about the Leafs? Of course. Not because THE LEAFS deserve it. THE LEAFS are just a funnier Florida Panthers. The Panthers probably aren't winning anything either, but none of us have ever met a Panthers fan who acts like they're God's gift to hockey, or are arrogant D-Bags when their team is nothing but a participant for the 60th straight year. (No offense, Panthers fans).

In New York, the Mets fans see the Yankees fans act like THEY had something to do with the team's 27 World Championships, and they're kind of arrogant and annoying about it. BUT THEY ACTUALLY WON 27 CHAMPIONSHIPS. It pains me to type that as a Mets fan, but they actually SHOULD be the most obnoxious arrogant fan base in the league, because they're the most successful team.

So we see that same arrogance for a Toronto fan base, when the team, again, is basically just the Florida Panthers. So we all crack jokes when you lose. And NEWS FLASH: It's not just us! The entire league hates Leafs fans. Period. Not the Leafs. The fans. Because it's super annoying to deal with a fan base acting like 27-time champions when all they do is blow just A TON MORE MONEY than everyone else to barely make the playoffs and then choke away first round series. When you choke two or three rounds early than the Sharks always do, it's MFing hilarious. Because Sharks fans just want to win, while you think you deserve to win.

EVERY LEAFS JOKE is because of your terrible fan base that no one likes. It's because you think your team MATTERS more than everyone else's team when your team is totally irrelevant. Leafs fans act like their team is above everyone else's, when by any metric of success you're BELOW small market and expansion teams like Tampa, St. Louis, Washington, Carolina, Dallas, Colorado, New Jersey, Anaheim, Calgary, who've I've seen win the Cup. Never seen you win one. You're below bigger teams like Detroit, Montreal, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, who've won MULTIPLE Cups in our lifetime. Below dynasties like Montreal, NY Islanders and Edmonton in my lifetime.

I've also seen Minnesota (North Stars, not Wild), Ottawa, Buffalo, Nashville, San Jose, Florida, and Vegas PLAY in the Stanley Cup finals, so you're below them, too. Basically every city with a team except Phoenix, Columbus, Winnipeg and Toronto have at least won a conference final in the time I've been alive. Hell, I'm surprised Seattle didn't go further than you in the time it took to write out every member of the league; All of who have either won more than the Leafs, or talked a lot less than the Leafs fans.

So no, THE LEAFS don't live "Rent Free" in Islanders fans heads. Or anyone's heads. The Leafs aren't good enough to be anyone's heads. The Leafs are a joke and their fan base should wear duct tape on their mouths or message board fingers until you actually win something.

Oh, and Adam Pelech is really good at defense. Great contract.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

You're living in OUR heads rent-free? You're the one talking smack in the summer, as Leafs fans always do, because July is all you ever win. Your "victory" in the Tavares sweepstakes is literally the only "win" you have over any franchise in the entire National Hockey League in HOW many decades? You had like 4 to 6 times the money we did for 30 years, and you "Won" a whole lot of free agency/off-seasons and had about the same playoff success we did before we got owners to bring us back to being GOOD NOW.

You've got this backwards... the Islanders fans don't give a damn about THE LEAFS. THE LEAFS are a hilarious clown shoes organization that keeps making stupid moves, choke constantly and embarrass themselves. The Islanders fans felt betrayal by John Tavares.

That's it. THE LEAFS don't matter. When your team visits, and our crowd goes nuts... no one is booing THE LEAFS. It's ALL about JOHN TAVARES. What you heard most was WE DON'T NEED YOU. Not "Leafs Suck." The other 22 guys on the roster did nothing but crush your hopes and dreams again. Only Tavares did anything to us.

Now, do we make jokes about the Leafs? Of course. Not because THE LEAFS deserve it. THE LEAFS are just a funnier Florida Panthers. The Panthers probably aren't winning anything either, but none of us have ever met a Panthers fan who acts like they're God's gift to hockey, or are arrogant D-Bags when their team is nothing but a participant for the 60th straight year. (No offense, Panthers fans).

In New York, the Mets fans see the Yankees fans act like THEY had something to do with the team's 27 World Championships, and they're kind of arrogant and annoying about it. BUT THEY ACTUALLY WON 27 CHAMPIONSHIPS. It pains me to type that as a Mets fan, but they actually SHOULD be the most obnoxious arrogant fan base in the league, because they're the most successful team.

So we see that same arrogance for a Toronto fan base, when the team, again, is basically just the Florida Panthers. So we all crack jokes when you lose. And NEWS FLASH: It's not just us! The entire league hates Leafs fans. Period. Not the Leafs. The fans. Because it's super annoying to deal with a fan base acting like 27-time champions when all they do is blow just A TON MORE MONEY than everyone else to barely make the playoffs and then choke away first round series. When you choke two or three rounds early than the Sharks always do, it's MFing hilarious. Because Sharks fans just want to win, while you think you deserve to win.

EVERY LEAFS JOKE is because of your terrible fan base that no one likes. It's because you think your team MATTERS more than everyone else's team when your team is totally irrelevant. Leafs fans act like their team is above everyone else's, when by any metric of success you're BELOW small market and expansion teams like Tampa, St. Louis, Washington, Carolina, Dallas, Colorado, New Jersey, Anaheim, Calgary, who've I've seen win the Cup. Never seen you win one. You're below bigger teams like Detroit, Montreal, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, who've won MULTIPLE Cups in our lifetime. Below dynasties like Montreal, NY Islanders and Edmonton in my lifetime.

I've also seen Minnesota (North Stars, not Wild), Ottawa, Buffalo, Nashville, San Jose, Florida, and Vegas PLAY in the Stanley Cup finals, so you're below them, too. Basically every city with a team except Phoenix, Columbus, Winnipeg and Toronto have at least won a conference final in the time I've been alive. Hell, I'm surprised Seattle didn't go further than you in the time it took to write out every member of the league; All of who have either won more than the Leafs, or talked a lot less than the Leafs fans.

So no, THE LEAFS don't live "Rent Free" in Islanders fans heads. Or anyone's heads. The Leafs aren't good enough to be anyone's heads. The Leafs are a joke and their fan base should wear duct tape on their mouths or message board fingers until you actually win something.

You forgot to add in that we’re letting them sign this guy:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
W.. why are you trying to bait me into some nonsense argument about Muzzin?

I just said it’s this is a long contract
8 year contracts that carry a low AVV compared to his comparables, McDonagh or Muzzin who are well into their 30's just to name 2, where Pelech will be 34 when the deal expires are not too long when the player is still 26. I don't know sounds like you are being selectively picky here. Again Pelech is just 26, he has shown to be one of the league's premiere shut down D men I would say second to only Slavin in the last 3 years. When is a better time to lock up core player to a 8 year contract at age 26 one year away from UFA status?

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
Should fire his agent
Why, he knows what he signed, just because he’s a leader who put his team first doesn’t mean his agent was stupid. I suspect we’ll see a few more of these before the off-season is done. This team believes in each other.

Reactions: cavs

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013

Oh man this is perfect

horrific foot speed

Aug 9, 2021

That was the wordiest confirmation that the leafs, pardon me, leafs fans do actually live rent free in your head.

kennymoney

Mar 15, 2013
Aurora, Ontario

Lol take a deep breath dude...it's ok.

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
That was the wordiest confirmation that the leafs, pardon me, leafs fans do actually live rent free in your head.
nope, most of the hockey fans I talk to see them as the biggest clown show in hockey. I actually feel sorry for them, they are probably the most loyal fans in the game, they support their team no matter what, and having lived through Mike Milbury I know that isn’t easy. 55 years of unrequited devotion and all they have to show for it is a pajama boy who made promises his entire career and hasn’t delivered on any of them.

I truly feel sorry for them. They deserve better.

As an Islander Tavares talked endlessly about Loyalty, His Captaincy and team, he Lied the whole time. Pelech however just showed everyone what it means to be a team player

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad