Confirmed with Link: NY Rangers sign Marek Hrivik

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Cool. Good for HFD.

We have so much depth on the bottom 6 he likely won't sniff a spot unless there is a lot of injuries.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... I think it's a stretch that Hrivik or Jensen makes the team and if they do that they likely won't make it permanently...Guys like Jooris and Grabner are going to make the team ...

I think Hrivik, Jensen may challenge especially Gerbe, maybe Jooris but he's a C for same spots.
And (heresy) i believe Buch will see some AHL time ...

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I really liked what I saw from him last season. Exactly what we need, a home grown forth liner. He should be a brick in this puzzle.

I'd like to see him in there somehow... Hrivik can take draws, play center, block shots, hustle, good cycle game, smart set of hands if you know what I mean.

He can turn into a really reliable player.

KreiderHouseRules*

I'd like to see him in there somehow... Hrivik can take draws, play center, block shots, hustle, good cycle game, smart set of hands if you know what I mean.

He can turn into a really reliable player.

I think when Lindberg is healthy, he's the 13th F at best, but I'm rooting for him to make the team out of camp as I think he's a better 4th line option than Jensen or Glass.

I want to see

Kreider Stepan Buchnevich
Nash Zibanejad Zuccarello
Miller Hayes Grabner
Hrivik Jooris Fast
Jensen

Gerbe and Glass in HFD

to start the season.

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
obligatory "the Cup is ours" post... surprised i had to wait this long.

in all seriousness, im happy for the guy. id like to see him win a spot out of camp, but i dont know what the odds of that would be.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
I think when Lindberg is healthy, he's the 13th F at best, but I'm rooting for him to make the team out of camp as I think he's a better 4th line option than Jensen or Glass.

I want to see

Kreider Stepan Buchnevich
Nash Zibanejad Zuccarello
Miller Hayes Grabner
Hrivik Jooris Fast
Jensen

Gerbe and Glass in HFD

to start the season.

What about Jimmy Vesey?

NASTY

Jul 29, 2016
Liked Hrivik a lot thought he was a very hardworking player and a good depth player.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Nice little write-up on Hrivik: http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=891078

This guy has busted his ass in the AHL for 5 years and I really thought he looked good with the Rangers end of last season. Pulling for him!

Me too. From the time he was given last year he made the most of it. He should have been a 4th liner easy last year unfortunately I don't see him getting any chance this coming year especially when oscar is ready to come back

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Me too. From the time he was given last year he made the most of it. He should have been a 4th liner easy last year unfortunately I don't see him getting any chance this coming year especially when oscar is ready to come back

It's going to be tough, that's for sure. He is going to have to outplay Jooris in camp and hope to get 4th line Center for while Lindberg is on IR.

Maybe he can get #13 forward and travel with the team. That would be a great experience for him.

He did get a nice 100k raise up to 175k if he is stuck in Hartord....so I suppose that is some consolation if NHL doesn't come calling.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
There will be injuries and he will get his chance to impress.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
There will be injuries and he will get his chance to impress.

Glass, Gerbe, maybe Jooris (though he's an RFA) will be gone in 12 months (maybe earlier), so if he plays well when he is called up to replace an injured Ranger, presumably Gorton won't feel the need to sign a bunch of depth guys the way he did this year.

Also, as a general rule, if you deserve to be in the NHL, a spot will be created for you. I'm not talking about if you could kinda sorta maybe keep up if you're fed soft minutes against the easiest opponents to replace an injured NHLer for a few games. I mean, if you legitimately show that you're better than AHL first liners, that the team can rely on you as a top-12 regular for 82 games without sheltering you, then a spot will be created.

Any player complaining he just didn't get a chance is full of $--t. You got the chance to play in preseason so the NHL GM, coaches and scouts watch you? You got a chance to play in the AHL so that the Hartford GM and coaches (who make recommendation to the NY staff) watch you? That's your chance.

Prove you can contribute positively to the team and the GM will clear a spot for you. They can always deal away someone for a midround pick to give Hrivik a spot.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
It's going to be tough, that's for sure. He is going to have to outplay Jooris in camp and hope to get 4th line Center for while Lindberg is on IR.

Maybe he can get #13 forward and travel with the team. That would be a great experience for him.

He did get a nice 100k raise up to 175k if he is stuck in Hartord....so I suppose that is some consolation if NHL doesn't come calling.

Yeah he's actually guaranteed $225K according to Uncle Larry. That's good on the organization to reward him, so expect a call up or two to hit that at the very worst.

Glass, Gerbe, maybe Jooris (though he's an RFA) will be gone in 12 months (maybe earlier), so if he plays well when he is called up to replace an injured Ranger, presumably Gorton won't feel the need to sign a bunch of depth guys the way he did this year.

Also, as a general rule, if you deserve to be in the NHL, a spot will be created for you. I'm not talking about if you could kinda sorta maybe keep up if you're fed soft minutes against the easiest opponents to replace an injured NHLer for a few games. I mean, if you legitimately show that you're better than AHL first liners, that the team can rely on you as a top-12 regular for 82 games without sheltering you, then a spot will be created.

Any player complaining he just didn't get a chance is full of $--t. You got the chance to play in preseason so the NHL GM, coaches and scouts watch you? You got a chance to play in the AHL so that the Hartford GM and coaches (who make recommendation to the NY staff) watch you? That's your chance.

Prove you can contribute positively to the team and the GM will clear a spot for you. They can always deal away someone for a midround pick to give Hrivik a spot.

Asset management 101.

It would be good if they can pull that off. I think Alain likes some versatility in his line-up so that does give Hrivik a decent shot, but there are some guys he's just not going to beat.

I'm talking about a Grabner because of the speed factor, and Jooris because of the RH C/W ability, plus Jooris is a proven commodity in a role that the Rangers tried to fill with Jarret Stoll last year.

Perhaps there is a trade, where Lindberg/Fast get moved for a guy like Ryan Murphy. I really liked that proposal on trade board, it helps teams fill needs cheaply.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Hardly anyone gets grabbed off late preseason waivers, but if NYR were to lose 2 or more of Gerbe, Jooris, Jensen, Hrivik, that would suck.
Losing Weise to keep a declining Avery still annoys me

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Hardly anyone gets grabbed off late preseason waivers, but if NYR were to lose 2 or more of Gerbe, Jooris, Jensen, Hrivik, that would suck.
Losing Weise to keep a declining Avery still annoys me

That was a dumb trade-off back in the day. But Torts never like Weise.

Back to the forward depth... I think it allows the Rangers to make another move to get a defenseman.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lindberg/Fast are traded. Perhaps even as a package.

But I'd like to see them both get 4th line duties and see what they can do in that slot. My gut feeling is that they can outwork, and check a secondary scoring unit.

If that is the case, then that allows the Hayes unit to roam freely. Gerbe just doesn't make sense to me at all besides experience and work ethic. Which is a good need for an organization.

Guys like Hrivik and Jensen really need to have impact pre-season games. Jooris ends up as a near everyday player imo.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
At this time I'd say hrvik , Jensen are the first call ups . Jooris likely in that list when Lindberg is healthy

Kids like kovacs, Stromwall , gropp , nieves will push

Glass hopefully stays down all year

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Kids like kovacs, Stromwall , gropp , nieves will push

They won't be pushing anything except shopping carts.

Kovacs and Stromwall played in the Swedish minors last year. Not even in the top Swedish league, but in their minors. The SHL is about equal with the AHL, so their minors are in the ballpark of the ECHL, though to be fair, probably marginally better. I'll just be happy if they prove to be solid AHLers in their rookie season, no need to push the expectations.

Gropp is a meh prospect, totally overrated. He looked good playing with Barzal, but struggled without him. Gropp was obviously a passenger. Look at the goals that are available online and it's Gropp leaving the puck for Barzal, then watching him make a great move and score, giving Gropp is a cheap assist. Again, I'll be happy if he can prove to be a quality AHL third liner as a rookie.

Nieves is probably the best of this bunch given his size, speed and on-ice vision, but again he won't be playing in the NHL this year. I'm pretty certain he can play well at the AHL level this year (something that is still in doubt, to a lesser or greater degree, with Gropp, Stromwall and Kovacs), but he may well be an AHL role player to start. If he proves himself a capable AHL second liner as a rookie, I'll be very, very happy.

The top Hartford forwards will be: Hrivik, Jensen, Glass, one of Gerbe/Jooris (after Lindberg returns), Chris Brown. Rambo will probably be the 6th forward on the top 2 lines just for his shooting ability and hopefully he improved the rest of his game over the summer. After that, it's some combination of Nieves, Kovacs, Stromwall, Fogarty, Gropp, Chapie, Joly, Oksanen fighting it out for third line minutes, and the rest will be 4th line benchwarmers or scratches/ECHLers the majority of the games.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
They won't be pushing anything except shopping carts.

Kovacs and Stromwall played in the Swedish minors last year. Not even in the top Swedish league, but in their minors. The SHL is about equal with the AHL, so their minors are in the ballpark of the ECHL, though to be fair, probably marginally better. I'll just be happy if they prove to be solid AHLers in their rookie season, no need to push the expectations.

Gropp is a meh prospect, totally overrated. He looked good playing with Barzal, but struggled without him. Gropp was obviously a passenger. Look at the goals that are available online and it's Gropp leaving the puck for Barzal, then watching him make a great move and score, giving Gropp is a cheap assist. Again, I'll be happy if he can prove to be a quality AHL third liner as a rookie.

Nieves is probably the best of this bunch given his size, speed and on-ice vision, but again he won't be playing in the NHL this year. I'm pretty certain he can play well at the AHL level this year (something that is still in doubt, to a lesser or greater degree, with Gropp, Stromwall and Kovacs), but he may well be an AHL role player to start. If he proves himself a capable AHL second liner as a rookie, I'll be very, very happy.

The top Hartford forwards will be: Hrivik, Jensen, Glass, one of Gerbe/Jooris (after Lindberg returns), Chris Brown. Rambo will probably be the 6th forward on the top 2 lines just for his shooting ability and hopefully he improved the rest of his game over the summer. After that, it's some combination of Nieves, Kovacs, Stromwall, Fogarty, Gropp, Chapie, Joly, Oksanen fighting it out for third line minutes, and the rest will be 4th line benchwarmers or scratches/ECHLers the majority of the games.

I think they go with a dedicated defensive line and have Fogarty check the other team's top player. Free up the other lines.

Kovacs-Nieves-Stromwall will be a unit that probably gets a look and and really favorable matchups based on their skating ability.

Gropp has to approach it like he has to make the team. The Rangers save a SPC spot by sending him back to the Dub, but he can earn a spot... maybe get ahead of the curve a bit.

I can't call Tambo Rambo since he doesn't do the name justice physically or on the scoresheet. Tambo could probably rack it up depending on who he's playing with. A playmaker and Tambo can equal a decent number of goals.

Who do you think lines up with Fogarty?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I think they go with a dedicated defensive line and have Fogarty check the other team's top player. Free up the other lines.

Kovacs-Nieves-Stromwall will be a unit that probably gets a look and and really favorable matchups based on their skating ability.

Gropp has to approach it like he has to make the team. The Rangers save a SPC spot by sending him back to the Dub, but he can earn a spot... maybe get ahead of the curve a bit.

I can't call Tambo Rambo since he doesn't do the name justice physically or on the scoresheet. Tambo could probably rack it up depending on who he's playing with. A playmaker and Tambo can equal a decent number of goals.

Who do you think lines up with Fogarty?

Upon thinking about it, I agree on a dedicated defensive line, but I think Chris Brown should definitely center it. He's gotten NHL cups of coffee in 5 seasons on the strength of his defense and size. I'd put Hrivik back on the LW because if he's going to make the NHL, it will be due to his defense because he'll never look anything other than lost on offense. He can transport the puck up the ice, then gets lost as he gets close to the net. And that's in the AHL, forget about it in the NHL. On the right, I'd put Jensen because if he makes the NHL, it too will be due to his two-way game. Let these guys compete against the top AHLer offenses. Since they won't be facing top lines in the NHL, the NHLers they face won't be better offensively than the AHLers they face.

I'd like to see Nieves center Rambo because one is a good playmaker and the other can fire the puck. Rambo should definitely move to the W. People always pencil in Nieves to become W and Rambo to stay at C, but it should definitely be the reverse. Michael Joly could work well here to create a good offensive line (in part because his scoring ability would relieve the pressure on Rambo) assuming they have at least one veteran defensive defenseman covering up for them every time they're on the ice.

From what I understand, Kovacs and Stromwall played on the same line in Swe-2, so let them stay together. If Nieves doesn't mesh with Rambo, he should be tried between these two. Gerbe or Jooris likely go down, and would provide veteran leadership on the line.

Glass-Fogarty-Chapie could work as a big, tough line to serve as the second defensive line. I wouldn't want to throw them out against AHL's top scorers (many of who are borderline NHLers and may move up before the season ends), but they could do a decent job against AHL second liners.

Gropp is probably best off going back to the Juniors unless he knocks everyone's socks off in the preseason. It's better to be a first liner in the Juniors than a 4th liner in the AHL when you're his age.

The team also has Oksanen, not sure if he'll play defense, forward (he plays both) or gets sent to the ECHL. He's a big guy and he got almost a point per game in NCAA the last 2 seasons, and if he did that while playing as a defenseman, he might actually be a good prospect. Then again, he could be just someone who used his size to bully kids to get points, but won't be able to do much in the pros. We'll see in October, but I'll leave him out of the lineup for now.

Hrivik - Brown - Jensen
Kovacs - Jooris/Gerbe - Stromwall
Rambo - Nieves - Joly
Glass - Fogarty - Chapie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad