NY Post Larry Brooks: ESPN blocks NHL Ads

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by rekrul, Dec 5, 2006.

1. rekrul

rekrul Registered User

Home Page:
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/12032006/sports/rangers/no_kid_ding_rangers_larry_brooks.htm?page=2

I found out they block affiliates from running UFC Ads too. Geeze I guess we see "the world wide leader" afraid someone watching the poker thing might wonder if a real sport might be somewhere else.

2. DeathFromAbove

DeathFromAbove Registered User

ESPN has a beef with the NHL for some unknown reason.

3. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers White guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage. Sponsor

Corporate Drone
    Hahahaha, that's absolutely pathetic.

ESPN has stooped to a new low with this one.

4. puck57

puck57 Registered User

No, it is not for "some unknown reason"- it is quite clear and easy to understand- they hate the sport and don't have the time of day for it because it is not football which is their be all end all moneymaker. Quite simple. Listen to ESPN radio for even a short while and you hear the same thing. One commentator even said ESPN was not in the charity nonprofit business and in effect only cared about getting money from the sports that made them money- pure and simple. It is going to be a LONG time before ESPN gives hockey any sort of respect.

5. dafoomie

dafoomie Registered User

This is ESPN's M.O, they heavily promote sports they carry (poker, spelling bee's, womens college sports, etc) and ignore sports they don't (NHL, boxing, others).

This is part of their bargaining power. You make a deal with ESPN, your sport gets exposure, your sport gets promoted and advertised. You get a long segment on Sportscenter and a half hour show on ESPN2.

I hope the NHL goes back to ESPN when this deal with OLN/VS is over. They need the exposure and access to a larger audience more than they need the cash.

6. jkrdevil

jkrdevil UnRegistered User

Then how do you explain the NHL on ESPN before it went to VS.? It was never promoted outside a five second what's coming up next spot on sportscenter.

7. dafoomie

dafoomie Registered User

They did promote hockey. It got a lot more attention on Sportscenter and their other programming than it does now.

When ESPN pays a rights fee, they have every intention of making a profit. They know they need to make at least a certain amount of money, and they'll advertise and have Sportscenter segments as much as they have to, in order to get the ratings they need to make money.

Comcast knew they probably would not profit from this deal, they wanted to use the NHL, along with the NFL and MLB (who they failed to make deals with) to make a new sports network. They're not doing real well right now. They don't have the ability to promote a sport that ESPN does.

8. Oilers Chick

Oilers Chick Registered User

Home Page:
    The only time hockey gets a real mention on ESPN these days is at Frozen Four time, since they're the ones that carry it (contractual agreement with the NCAA).

9. X0ssbar

X0ssbar Guest

I'm sorry but the NHL was still a doormatt at that network even when they were paying for it. IMO the NHL gains nothing by moving back to them besides a few extra minutes on SC. I believe in Versus and their treatment of the sport -- growth does not happen overnight. I also believe they will land another big sport as this thing moves forward.

If you want to watch a real sports highlight show minus all of the BS fluff and egomaniacs tune into the Final Score on FSN -- they are doing it the right way.

10. Maken*

Maken* Guest

They would love the sport if it made money. They don't hate it for the sake of hating it, they hate it because it doesn't make enough sense (read: $$$) in the USA. Even if they saw the potential, they would invest in the NHL... ESPN and Mr. Bettman have conflicting views on where the potential will lead.

11. Jazz

Jazz Registered User

Home Page:
    Is there anything other sports property for V/S to go after? Is anything up soon?
    If V/S were to get another sport, then it's availabitly will increase even further.

12. Irish Blues

Irish Blues Still on hiatus

Actuary
    ESPN? Never heard of it.

13. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Registered User

God I just realized how much I hate ESPN... *pukes*

:shakehead

14. Darth Bangkok

Darth Bangkok Registered User

ESPN? Who watches that channel anyway? I've been out of high school a long time now. And I can think above a third grade level too.

15. Egil

Egil Registered User

Home Page:
    Would FSN be a possible suitor for the NHL? They carry alot of regional games already, adding some national games to that could make for a VERY useful package for both FSN and the NHL. Rogers Sportsnet (a similar idea to FSN) used to have national NHL rights in Canada, yet I havn't heard of FSN trying to get them. Could that change?

16. MoMiester

MoMiester Registered User

They have done well with "the best damn sport show" and could do well with other shows like Final Score. Just takes a lot to get through the clutter.

17. ArchieIsGod

ArchieIsGod Registered User

Versus would do themselves very well to try to get UFC from spike or bring in PRIDE and add additional programing to support hockey, like a 'nhl tonight' type show. College hockey would be amazing but not likely to help draw in new sport fans. bull riding isnt my cup of tea but it does have a place on vs just not so regularly

they need to get away from the crap shows they have now, reruns of survior, grilling showdown, and if they insist on showing sports movies they need to get a more impressive library. youngblood was a terrible movie! I refuse to turn on VS anytime before 7 or on the weekends because i know there is nothing remotely entertaining on. fishing shows are only played during the afternoon on espn, there is a reason.

18. beeker16

beeker16 Registered User

19. Finest

Finest Puck Fittsburg

"world wide leader in sports" HA!

Unless poker is a sport now. I swear if I see another world series of poker championship i'm going to scream. Here in NY 1050 espn radio which claims to be the "home of the Rangers" hardly ever does games anymore, its always the Knicks or just random football talk. How can you program an entire day around football and basketball,especially when all the shows talk about the same stuff :banghead: , I say F ESPN.

20. Matt

Matt Registered User

A couple of weeks ago, Colin Cowherd was talking to a reported that covered the Atlanta Falcons, after he answered all of colin's questions, he asked when Colin was going to ask him about the Trashers. Colin's reply was NEVER

21. dabid

dabid Registered User

Pope
    Well, Coward is the biggest idiot in the bunch.

22. chiavsfan

chiavsfan Registered User

Radio News Director
    Home Page:
    I don't even know where to begin laughing at this statement. Seriously, the ESPN love from some on this board staggers me

23. futurcorerock

futurcorerock Registered User

Yes, because VS being a rival sports network ESPN definitely wouldn't want to promote it

24. PanthersRule96

PanthersRule96 Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Problem is a large percentage of America can't so they need something to relate to ;)

25. Stevedude530

Stevedude530 Registered User

Was the Atlanta reporter seriously in the mood to talk about the Thrashers or sarcastically suggesting he ask about them?