Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
They can for sure. They can also get swept, we have seen that too

Yeah well that's just the nature of the playoffs, isn't it? I don't know if you did but some posters on here were acting like Vegas were an unstoppable force and yet they're out in the first round.

Or Colorado with their .800 sv% goalie in Georgiev but they're making it work.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Pathetic. That might be one of the most despicable losses I've ever seen. Per usual, when they lose, it's because they beat themselves. And they did that spectacularly tonight.

Offensively, only Hyman had anything. And Draisaitl before getting hurt. I don't know who the f*** is wearing the 97 jersey out there, but whoever it was just played the worst game of their career. Bobbling passes like a stone-handed rookie, skating like it's Sunday afternoon. Zero engagement. Nuge missed an absolute sitter with a wide open cage AND the goalie looking the other way. Kane, Janmark and the rest awful. How you could look at the 3rd and 4th goals going in on that goalie and think "let's not shoot ever again"... deplorable offensive plan and effort. Knob can wear horns here too, he didn't recognize right from the 1st minute of the 2nd period, this team had pulled to plug and needed a shake up.

Defensively, what do you even say? Nurse-Ceci. Always f****** Nurse-Ceci. I firmly believe this team would have at least a Cup Finals appearance in the last 3 years if the obvious upgrade need there was taken even mildly serious by management. A casual could see Nurse processing the game slow and stupid. Disengaged. Physically uninterested. Flat-footed. Worse than Kris Russell ever was at giving the puck away around the boards. Positionally never where he should be, constantly abandoning the dangerous guy in front of the net. Not getting pucks out with full control 2 feet from the blue line. It's beyond sad. Anyone other then 9.25, this is an easy press box decision. And this isn't just a one-off. Even in the LA series, even in the more defensive games 4 and 5, the close calls always happened with him on the ice (especially in the final minutes of periods). That pairing had most minutes against the Canucks 3rd line which just adds to the embarrassment.

Goaltending? How do you even let in goals 3-5? Miller on the goal line, MOVE and hug your f****** post, it's not like he roofed it. Zadorov from 10 miles out with full visibility. Garland along the ice. Skinner choked. We needed him to steal this in the 3rd with Draisaitl labouring and the rest of the group shitting the bed. He failed miserably and somehow was 2nd best to the sieve at the other end.

Worst of all - sends a message that Vancouver indeed has hope and a chance in the series. The arena was dead at critical points. And it wasn't Vancouver's ability (though they outplayed us) that got them back in it. It was us always, always, making it harder than it needs to be. This isn't f****** LA where you can win with a dozen shots sitting on a lead. Canucks have finishers.

Where is the team doing what they are best at? Dominating offensively on the cycle, 35+ shots, 1st in grade A chances? Where the f*** is that team? Game 3 against LA is the last time they looked like they should.

Sick of them pissing away games and giving the opponent life that isn't earned. Beyond livid at this team. No appreciation for the gravity of the moment, the importance of the series lead, the urgency needed in playoffs. And that's the most concerning after all the build up and talk. They still have games where it's learning lessons instead of taking the game by the throat even though they have the ability. Pathetic.
I don't know whats with McDavid either, but he's just a shell of himself on some nights.
One thing is for certain, Skinner isn't reliable enough to get to the Cup. Ken needed that upgrade and didn't get it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
4 easy goals on Skinner and people wonder why we are so hard on him?

Nurse chasing Garland instead of taking him out.

I give Ceci a pass cause at least he scored.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
And after the Oilers scored on that first PP, we all knew there was no more coming that game. Pathetic that it has to be that way.
Meanwhile their team is full of Tonya Hardings and Patrick Chan's, with the diving and cheap shots.

Reactions: Anemia

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Has there been any noteworthy updates on Drai since the end of the game? He did not look right at all in the third. He coasted up and down the ice all period.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Has there been any noteworthy updates on Drai since the end of the game? He did not look right at all in the third. He coasted up and down the ice all period.

Knob said it was a cramping and equipment issue and there's nothing to worry about so obviously he's dead.

• Haha
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Only difference is in game 4 of the LA series Skinner was dialed in instead of whatever the hell that performance last night was.

The difference is that Vancouver actually has players with offensive talent; "bend but don't break" may have worked against LA but it won't work the rest of the playoffs. The Oilers need to approach every shift with the mindset of trying to score a goal, not "don't get scored against".

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah well that's just the nature of the playoffs, isn't it? I don't know if you did but some posters on here were acting like Vegas were an unstoppable force and yet they're out in the first round.

Or Colorado with their .800 sv% goalie in Georgiev but they're making it work.
Georgiev has a 895 and is better than Skinner.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the oilers made their own bed when they stopped hitting the vancouver d and played passively. you have to go full gas all the time or this can happen. Also after the 3rd goal knob needed to call a time out and bang some heads on the bench to wake them up

Reactions: Oilhawks

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
When will Stewart Skinner win a game on his own?

2 of the last 3 goals where on him regardless of how the team is playing. Tired of the lessons learned stick.

Game 4 vs L.A? is your memory really that short?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Everyone had the oil had huge favourites . I am not as sold on the team as I still see the same issues that buried them in the past. Skinner was bad and not winning with that goaltending. But… the rest of the team was garbage and nurse/ ceci were a huge issue again. They still may win this series but this was a really immature loss sgain

It couldn't have been more clear last playoffs that nurse/Ceci needed an upgrade and goaltending was an issue. We all hoped that obvious issues could just hide for 4 playoff rounds because Holland sat on his hands, and we obviously are powerless to improve the team, but still want to cheer for it. Might not get our wish unfortunately.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
This one reminded me a little bit of game 1 SCF 06 where they were just cruising with a 3 goal lead then a comedy of errors left us all in disbelief.

I really think we see them play a great game on Friday, the D needs some work for sure and now they know what needs to be fixed. I honestly see them winning the next 3, losing one and wrapping it up on home ice in 6.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
When will Stewart Skinner win a game on his own?

2 of the last 3 goals where on him regardless of how the team is playing. Tired of the lessons learned stick.
He did one game the last series, that filled his quota for 2024.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I honestly think Nurse is one of the worst players I have ever seen relative to his reputation and standing within the team.

Like yeah there are some horrible 4th liners, but for a guy who gets constant praise from coaching and players alike, making 9.25M and the minutes he is played, he is one of the worst performers I have seen in a long time.

The guy is joke and has been defended on here for far too long.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Spector doing his thing defending nurse/Ceci and mocking anyone blaming them for goals against

He doesn't seem to get that when a D pair is stuck in their own end all night and can't stop a cycle, the bad stuff that can happen can take many forms.

Of course he will crap on Bouch endlessly for 1 mistake.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Both teams are getting .89 goaltending, if they can win with that so can we.

Silovs was .778 last night and Demko's not back until game 5, no excuses.
Desmith will probably play next game and he is better than Silovs.

I honestly think Nurse is one of the worst players I have ever seen relative to his reputation and standing within the team.

Like yeah there are some horrible 4th liners, but for a guy who gets constant praise from coaching and players alike, making 9.25M and the minutes he is played, he is one of the worst performers I have seen in a long time.

The guy is joke and has been defended on here for far too long.
He is more overpaid than Campbell.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
VD, CECI, KULAK, NURSE

zero hits between the 4. zero ability to handle pressure and make a breakout pass. they all need to wake up or we are f***ed. Why does someone like VD have zero f***ing hits in a game? Because he's too slow and terrible to do anything effective against a fast team. Still, I think that stat is inexcusable.

This is what I said in the lead up, we're actually not a very physical team outside of a motivated kane and we risk not being able to punish VAN fwds enough and it showed. Our supposed most physical players didn't even lay a single f***ing hit the entire game

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad