Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
View attachment 867646
Nurse/Ceci. How is this still a pairing?

R-JkMf.gif

Who else?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think the first half of the third was fine tbh. Canucks had like 5 shots in 8 min and nothing was dangerous. JT Miller scored on a hero tip, shit happens.

Zadorov hail Mary needs to be saved or blocked. If you're not blocking it f***ing move out of the way. At worst you're going to OT. Lmao the last goal was a meme.

I don't really get the panic. Skinner scores on himself twice, they got a joke bounce of the backboard for a third. Skinner probably played the worst game of the year, but I've seen him have 2 or 3 more gears, silovs has nothing else.

The team finally got rewarded for their poor effort tonight, LA didn't punish them, Van did. The fact it took luck and us spotting them 2 free goals to lose a game we never really showed up too, shouldn't be that concerning.
Because we have played like crap for a few games now.
Vancouver didn’t even play that great and they absolutely crushed us everywhere on the ice.
Thats 5 losses in a row to Vancouver. We haven’t shown we can beat them. We have only found ways to lose.

The concerning part is Skinner is not a good playoff goalie, and Nurse and Ceci are literal dog shit.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Exactly. The nucks aren't the trapping kings. The team was obviously coached/advised to turtle defense in the 3rd. I said it to my family in the 3rd that this team cannot sit back defensively and play passively against a canucks team as they're not like the trap kings and will make you pay if you do so. Results clearly f***ing showed it right after. Knoblauch had the perfect opportunity to use his timeout to wake the team up after the nucks tied it, but he just stands there on the bench. Wtf is the point of being the head coach if you don't adapt to changes and be more assertive? Got his ass handed by Tocchet tonight.

Knoblauch, much like Woodcroft, is almost completely reluctant to use a timeout for anything but a coach's challenge. Not sure if that's the new NHL, but it definitely hampers a coach's ability to change momentum in a game.

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
Nurse legitimately might've been better in his rookie season. Played on the bottom pair, was physical, played the game within the confines of his abilities, chipped in an odd rush here and there.

Nurse legitimately might've been better in his rookie season. Played on the bottom pair, was physical, played the game within the confines of his abilities, chipped in an odd rush here and there.
He was way better in his first couple seasons. He was a physical, intimidating force who decided to model his game after Jay Bouwmeester…

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They are and unfortunately the $9.25M dman is the bigger problem.
Thats been the case most of the season.
I dont know WTF the team does with that reality.

In any event we will find out a lot about this team next game.
Yeh it’s a problem. I had hope in the regular season that Nurse was turning the corner, but the REAL test was always going to be in big games. Big games is where his brain goes to sleep. Whether by lack of intensity or mis plays or both.

I didn’t think we could do anything about the 9.25M Nurse though in way of trade or upgrade. But Ceci could have been replaced with someone that may be a better match for Nurse.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The $9.25 is one thing, but having it be buyout proof is almost more offensive.

It shouldn’t be that f***ing difficult to get some sort of concession on structure when you’re obviously overpaying, but dumb Ken chose to just drop his pants instead.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Glad I didn’t pick ‘em in 4 games.
They showed us some ugly moments in the 3rd, especially by stopping to play.
Bring back their hard working and driving game and we should be okay.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Every single coach from Mclellan on thinks they have the defensive corps to play “shut it down” hockey.

THEY f***ING DON’T.

If they had a Roman Josi or a Hedman,hell even a Doughty, then maybe. Nurse-Ceci has been atrocious all season. Vinny & Kulak can’t play 2nd pair minutes. They can’t play Ekholm-Bouchard 30 minutes a night.

Knoblauch needs to take testosterone booster or something to get some balls and staple their asses to the press box for that kind of play at this time of year.

First order of business for the new GM if it ain’t upgrading the goaltending, then it has to be shedding Nurse’s contract and letting Ceci walk.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah...Leaf fans were saying the same thing last season before the Panthers series.

Until this team beats the Canucks they arent the better team.

If this team is anything like the Leafs, they can f*** right off

Reactions: guymez

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The regular season isn't the playoffs

If they are thinking that way (loser mentality, all due respect), then the series is over. The Avs sure didn't give a shit about the Jets owning them in the regular season.
The Avs actually showed up to the game they lost.

The Oilers lost 4 straight to Vancouver and had a chance for some revenge and showed up for a total of 15 minutes and got absolutely creamed for the rest of it and Vancouver didn’t even play that good themselves.

Colorado is a winner with a winners mindset.
I don’t know what the f*** this team even was thinking tonight.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think the first half of the third was fine tbh. Canucks had like 5 shots in 8 min and nothing was dangerous. JT Miller scored on a hero tip, shit happens.

Zadorov hail Mary needs to be saved or blocked. If you're not blocking it f***ing move out of the way. At worst you're going to OT. Lmao the last goal was a meme.

I don't really get the panic. Skinner scores on himself twice, they got a joke bounce of the backboard for a third. Skinner probably played the worst game of the year, but I've seen him have 2 or 3 more gears, silovs has nothing else.

The team finally got rewarded for their poor effort tonight, LA didn't punish them, Van did. The fact it took luck and us spotting them 2 free goals to lose a game we never really showed up too, shouldn't be that concerning.
Not panic. We should still be able to beat the Nucks but anybody after will beat us with 5 goal Skinner in net. This is not close to the kind of goaltending that can get you series results against good teams.

The other thing is this is a Tocchet team. He played and preached hard work and momentum and doing anything to get results. its the DNA of anything he's involved with. That DNA just got stronger and the Nucks just owned Skinner again after owning him all season. Skinner hasn't been close to even usable in ANY of the games this season against the Nucks. Thats starting to look like a concern.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Knoblauch, much like Woodcroft, is almost completely reluctant to use a timeout for anything but a coach's challenge. Not sure if that's the new NHL, but it definitely hampers a coach's ability to change momentum in a game.

In that span, I would've used it. Team turtled and it cost them. They still barely attacked after the canucks got the game leading goal. They were flustered and falling on the ice all over the place. Knoblauch as the head coach should've taken control and got the team's heads back to normal, but he didn't. Just bad coaching tonight.

Reactions: Oilhawks

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I hope this game is taken as a wakeup call.

Don't stop pushing the play. Everyone from the top down needs to sharpen up.

Still not shaken though. I believe in this team and have full faith that they well bounce back strong for game 2.

LETS GO OILERS!!!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not making excuses but it's pathetic we didn't get a single penalty in our favor. Not even 1. Technicality bench call on Miller really? That's it nothing else? f***ing refs I hate this stupid league that for some reason wants to punish its marquee stars.
Meanwhile the "hold"(embellishment by Hughes), and "trip"(embellishment by Pete) were hilarious calls. Didn't lose us the game, but the NHL choosing to neutralize our most elite part of our game is pretty f***ing lame.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Because we have played like crap for a few games now.
Vancouver didn’t even play that great and they absolutely crushed us everywhere on the ice.
Thats 5 losses in a row to Vancouver. We haven’t shown we can beat them. We have only found ways to lose.

The concerning part is Skinner is not a good playoff goalie, and Nurse and Ceci are literal dog shit.
We played like crazy because we kept getting away with it. Vancouver played about as well as they have for the last 2 months, I agree it's not great, but it's what they are.

Games like this are why I picked oil in 6.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I mean the team won’t be winning a cup or even challenging in those years anyways. We got 2 after this to make it count.

Maybe we can convince Toronto to trade him for Marner.

If we get only 4 years of "contention" after 13 years of SHEER incompetence and 33 years of non-contention I might just lose my mind.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
Not making excuses but it's pathetic we didn't get a single penalty in our favor. Not even 1. Technicality bench call on Miller really? That's it nothing else? f***ing refs I hate this stupid league that for some reason wants to punish its marquee stars.
I don’t know how the Oilers don’t protest against Kozari reffing our games. He openly hates McDavid and won’t give him a call.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Every single coach from Mclellan on thinks they have the defensive corps to play “shut it down” hockey.

THEY f***ING DON’T.

If they had a Roman Josi or a Hedman,hell even a Doughty, then maybe. Nurse-Ceci has been atrocious all season. Vinny & Kulak can’t play 2nd pair minutes. They can’t play Ekholm-Bouchard 30 minutes a night.

Knoblauch needs to take testosterone booster or something to get some balls and staple their asses to the press box for that kind of play at this time of year.

First order of business for the new GM if it ain’t upgrading the goaltending, then it has to be shedding Nurse’s contract and letting Ceci walk.
Knoblauch's low T is funny as hell. LMAO..you ain't lyin'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad