McKenzie: "Nurse negotiations are not going well at all" (Oilers offer 2 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Well, why would you attend camp without a contract? You're both giving away your only leverage, and you're risking injury with no contract to protect you?

Dylan Larkin played in the World Championships without a contract.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Probably also worth mentioning that he is skating with about 14 other Oilers and just last week expected to see a contract done. Really don't see this as much of a situation right now.

Have to think things changed when there was some additional cap space due to Sekera getting hurt. Maybe looking at a deal that we couldn't have looked at until that news came out

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Obviously. Has a player attended camp in the last 20 years without a contract? And I'm not talking PTO's and the like.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers would be much smarter locking up Nurse long term.

He's Only gonna get better and better.

Depends on what he's asking for. If he wants 8 million long term, he hasn't proven to be worth anywhere near that. I'd agree though, if he would sign a long term deal at Klefbom and Larsson's cap hit, then the Oilers would be dumb to turn that down. I'm guessing that he wants 4.5 on a bridge or 6.5 long term. I take the bridge in that case because if his offensive output never picks up, he isn't going to get much more than the 4.5 in the future. Nurse is an interesting case in that he has all the tools to be a star except for one or two - his passing, and his shot. Unfortunately, if he doesn't improve those two, he will never be the elite player that gets the huge payday.

Of course, there is the risk that he lights it up for 50 points this year and becomes an 8+ million dollar player for his next contract.

Reactions: bucks_oil and MC2D

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
not the first or last time this will happen. NBD. I'm sure he feels he has plenty of leverage regardless--good young D, a lot of potential yet untapped, and Oilers should be reluctant to see him off and further delay a rebuild or whatever it is now. Not saying the Oilers should go nuts with the contract if Nurse is starting as far off as Trouba is from reasonable, but from Nurse's viewpoint he probably has a strong case for getting paid more than he technically deserves right now.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oilers would be much smarter locking up Nurse long term.

He's Only gonna get better and better.
The Oilers don't have the cap flexibility for that this year. And every dollar saved this year is much more valuable to the team than the ~1/2 mil he might end up with down the road if we have to sign him in two seasons. Unless he hits 40 points in the next couple of years, the Klefbom, Larsson and Hanifin deals will all put a reasonably strong limit as to how much he can realistically get on his next deal.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Depends on what he's asking for. If he wants 8 million long term, he hasn't proven to be worth anywhere near that. I'd agree though, if he would sign a long term deal at Klefbom and Larsson's cap hit, then the Oilers would be dumb to turn that down. I'm guessing that he wants 4.5 on a bridge or 6.5 long term. I take the bridge in that case because if his offensive output never picks up, he isn't going to get much more than the 4.5 in the future. Nurse is an interesting case in that he has all the tools to be a star except for one or two - his passing, and his shot. Unfortunately, if he doesn't improve those two, he will never be the elite player that gets the huge payday.

Of course, there is the risk that he lights it up for 50 points this year and becomes an 8+ million dollar player for his next contract.
I would be fine with that. 50 points with what he brings would mean we found our #1 d-man. I just hate to give him 8 years at 6.5mil and he ends up never putting up more points than he already has. Keep in mind Larsson had 24 points in 64 games and then signed his long-term deal. Nurse 26 points in 82 games this year is now looking for that long-term deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad