Nurse fixes Polak's nose, Oilers lose 3-0

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Maybe I'm not seeing something. Palusha(whatever his no name is) is acting all tough, runs Polak, then Polak answers the bell and Palusha is shoving his stick in his grill 3 times, Polak has had enough, decks him, and Palusha turtling like his life is in danger.

Somebody looks bad in that exchange but it isn't Polak.
The bold is not an accurate description of what unfolds on that video. I urge you to give it another look.

Clean check knocks Polak flat on his ass like he got hit by a train.
He gets up all mad and goes straight after offender who fortunately is coming right at him carrying the puck.
Polak starts the pushing, and continues the pushing while the other guy backs off.
Polak then starts punching, cutting the player with his first punch.
Cut player turtles, much like Polak yesterday.
The Stalberg one is even worse. Looks like he was trying to save himself from getting beat on a 2 on 1. What a goof.
Oilers fans always hate if its some random instigator stirring **** and then turtling and refusing to fight.
Again, where did the bolded bit happen exactly? I see a nice clean hit on the forecheck.
I think Oiler fans love guys who can hit hard on the forecheck.
Maybe we should look into this Palooser guy? ;)
Palooser gives Polak 3 different shots to the head while holding his stick, right hand at the knob, and left hand around 1 foot up shaft, giving Polak lumber, shoving him.
Again, this is a one-sided interpretation.
I saw a guy holding up his stick in an attempt to ward off a flaming crazy idiot who was coming at him, all mad that he got knocked on his ass in a clean hockey play.

Thanks to DelPreston for hunting those clips down and posting them. I feel a lot less sorry for Polak today than I did yesterday.
Both clips are every bit as bad as what Nurse did to Polak yesterday imo.
Hey, sometimes what goes around comes around. :)

Last edited:

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Funny thing is Sharks fans keep mentioning Haley being in for next game as though he's going to tune in Nurse. He's a tough guy, but not exactly a monster (5'10 205). Best known for his antics against the Pens in that line brawl 5 years ago where he beats up Adams (iirc), then skates down the ice to fight the Pens goalie.

Really? This is the guy we're supposed to be scared of? The only thing I'd make sure to do is have Kassian and Maroon with McDavid. Dress Gazdic that night too.
Haley is tough as nails and shouldn't be underestimated. He reminds me of Rick Rypien, who used to beat Stortini up all the time.

Hendricks better not fight Haley. I think he'd get fed.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Haley is tough as nails and shouldn't be underestimated. He reminds me of Rick Rypien, who used to beat Stortini up all the time.

Alright then maybe Gazdic, Maroon, or JJ could step up in Hendo's place.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

Rick Rypien (rip) used to beat up guys a lot better at fighting than Zach Stortini.
What I always liked about Stortini was that he was a gamer. I believe he fought Rypien several times ('all the time" is an exaggeration).
Who goes back for another beating? And another? This is a guy that fought in prime Derek Boogaard more than once.
Stortini will never get any credit from Oiler fans because he lost too many fights, but I think that kid was a ****ing gem, and he could play on my team any day.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Appreciate what Nurse was trying to do, but he just needs to be a little smarter about doing it next time or he's gonna rack up suspensions. He'll learn from this, and I hope he beats the hell out of whoever from SJ tries to make him answer for it next time we play them.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Damned if you do and damned if you dont. Some days you just can't pee a drop......

MHN-prostate-worry-diversePHM-0815.jpg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Appreciate what Nurse was trying to do, but he just needs to be a little smarter about doing it next time or he's gonna rack up suspensions. He'll learn from this, and I hope he beats the hell out of whoever from SJ tries to make him answer for it next time we play them.
Is there anyone who won't be watching that game?

If Nurse KOs whoever they send calling, assuming Polak isn't man enough to fight for himself, that will have a big impact on the way opponent players will look at future games against the Edmonton Oilers imo. Since fans and media seem to be giving this incident so much attention a big win by Nurse would become legendary.

I just hope Nurse knows that when he chose to beatdown Polak like that he painted a big ass target on his back. Good for the team. Might not be great for Nurse in the short term.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

If Nurse KOs whoever they send calling, assuming Polak isn't man enough to fight for himself, that will have a big impact on the way opponent players will look at future games against the Edmonton Oilers imo. Since fans and media seem to be giving this incident so much attention a big win by Nurse would become legendary.

I just hope Nurse knows that when he chose to beatdown Polak like that he painted a big ass target on his back. Good for the team. Might not be great for Nurse in the short term.

okay so who's the biggest/best fighter they can send in realistically?

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Too bad the opposition gets away with way worse hits on the Oilers but no suspension is ever assessed because apparently dirty hits/illegal hits on Oilers players is fine and the NHL/DOPS won't do a damn thing about it.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

lol, thats like saying hes mad tough cause he beat up little timmy in grade 6

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005

i hope mcllelan goes all bob hartley and starts

maroon-hendricks-kassian
nurse-pardy

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
i hope mcllelan goes all bob hartley and starts

maroon-hendricks-kassian
nurse-pardy

If only Gryba were in,

Could still send Gryba, Cracknell, Gazdic... maybe call up a guy or two :naughty:

Get killed on the scoreboard but we'd piss off a bunch of Oiler haters

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Dont underestimate master splinter

LOL that is funny.

Alright, here is my breakdown, with first part pulled from a poster on another board:
Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
After download the video of the fight and watching it in slow-mo, here's what happened:

-Polak skates towards Nurse, turning right towards him, not trying to go past him
-Nurse turns and sees him coming, gloves comes off.
-Nurse throws a punch (glove off)
-Polak throws a punch (glove on)
-Nurse throws a bunch of punches, landing one right on Polak's nose, putting Polak out of the fight
-Nurse keeps throwing punches while Polak holds on for dear life.

However there are multiple preceding factors involved here as well:

1) Gregor pointed out they did not play the replay of the Hendricks incident in the building, so Nurse had no way of knowing it wasn't a nasty play by Polak

2) Several callers to 1260 noted they were at the game and were several rows up and could still hear Polak chirping McDavid especially, and then Nurse.

3) The game had become heated due to poor management by the officials (shocker) as both teams were run pretty heavily without any penalties - best example was Hertl boarding Sekera, who in turn was injured to the point of not practicing yesterday.

I know over on HF most non-Oiler fans are looking at the "gooning" in a vacuum but that is a narrow view to take.

After review of the entire circumstances, a beating to Polak was warranted. Just my $0.02 CAD

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The bold is not an accurate description of what unfolds on that video. I urge you to give it another look.

Clean check knocks Polak flat on his ass like he got hit by a train.
He gets up all mad and goes straight after offender who fortunately is coming right at him carrying the puck.
Polak starts the pushing, and continues the pushing while the other guy backs off.
Polak then starts punching, cutting the player with his first punch.
Cut player turtles, much like Polak yesterday.
The Stalberg one is even worse. Looks like he was trying to save himself from getting beat on a 2 on 1. What a goof.
Again, where did the bolded bit happen exactly? I see a nice clean hit on the forecheck.
I think Oiler fans love guys who can hit hard on the forecheck.
Maybe we should look into this Palooser guy? ;)
Gonna agree to disagree with the bolded. Palooser turtles on the ice writhing in a fetal position calling out for his mama after getting a scratch on his nose. Polak gets tagged with a furious punch that could've broken his nose, blood all over, anybody that's had that happen knows its hard to even breathe with that much blood pouring, and instinctively bends away, while standing, trying to distance, as any boxer does after getting tagged. He actually tries to hang in there but can't go. But in no way is he turtling.

<strictly sidebar, read with grain of salt ;)> ;

Actually under most pro sports provision when you got a situation with a "bleeder" like that intervention is supposed to occur immediately and players separated. This is related to universal precautions, often enforceable and mandated though league and player association in the name of safety to players/others. I mean Polak is spraying blood all over there. Even in boxing when that happens the two are separated, ring doctor comes in and sees if cut or injury is able to be repaired and if fight can continue. Now obviously this doesn't occur the same way in hockey but when a guy is bleeding like that normally in this day and age in hockey the fight is over. Who knows if the guy has any contractable health condition. Again universal precaution. Players receive information on such risks that they are potentially exposed to.

Again, this is a one-sided interpretation.
I saw a guy holding up his stick in an attempt to ward off a flaming crazy idiot who was coming at him, all mad that he got knocked on his ass in a clean hockey play.
Neither of us know the game context or what took place before in that game or any history between the players. For all we know Palooser had also tagged one of Polaks team mates. Who knows. Similarly, anybody not an Oilers fan making judgement on Nurse probably doesn't know of any prior in the game, they just look at the fight hilite reel and make judgement. Fair? Or not? its silly in most youtube instances to hold court and tribunal as you would agree.

Thanks to DelPreston for hunting those clips down and posting them. I feel a lot less sorry for Polak today than I did yesterday.
Both clips are every bit as bad as what Nurse did to Polak yesterday imo.
Hey, sometimes what goes around comes around. :)
meh on that one as well. Not different than what Nurse did. Note that I'm not blaming Nurse or Polak for their respective actions.

However, on the 3rd Zapruder film Polak emerges from behind the grassy knoll and annihilates Toffoli head on into the boards. That one is plain ugly and I don't know if he received suspension for it. That said Toffoli turns into the boards in what also shouldn't happen and being an LA KING I'm sure some teammates talked to him about playing heavy metal and taking a check better and NOT doing that.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
i hope polak comes back to nurse like a man and proceeds to getting that ass whooped again lol polak is a bum

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Don't mind what Nurse did, as he thought Polak hit Hendricks there. Didn't have the benefit of replay like we did.

He could have been a little smarter about it to avoid suspension. But I love him standing up for Hendricks.

What I hope Nurse does is really work on his Defensive skills. He has been below average and a disappointment for me this year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
i hope polak comes back to nurse like a man and proceeds to getting that ass whooped again lol polak is a bum

Polak is a terrible, terrible fighter. All that would happen if he tried to fight Nurse would be another broken bone in his face.

If Nurse gets a size/reach advantage it's over before it begins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad