Speculation: Number changes for Beau and Mayfield?

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Watching the great Summer Series pieces, I noticed that Beau and Mayfield don't wear the numbers they grew up wearing. And then I realized that this off-season, both numbers became available: Beau's 91 and Mayfield's 44. Wonder if they'll swap their jerseys...

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Watching the great Summer Series pieces, I noticed that Beau and Mayfield don't wear the numbers they grew up wearing. And then I realized that this off-season, both numbers became available: Beau's 91 and Mayfield's 44. Wonder if they'll swap their jerseys...

I’ve wondered if “Lou’s Clues” rules would kick in - especially after Ho-Sang (I think) broke 26 back out.

I’d chuckle if Beau took 91.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If Beauvillier is asked to change numbers
I can't see Lamoriello letting him take 91. He looke players to have lower numbers.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
No chance that Beauvillier takes 91

Mayfield is a maybe

I think some time in the next 2 years John tonellis 27 and butch gorings 91 get retired, both long over due

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Cizikas almost changed to 7 after his rookie year. I had just bought the 53 too so I'm happy he didn't.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
No chance that Beauvillier takes 91

Mayfield is a maybe

I think some time in the next 2 years John tonellis 27 and butch gorings 91 get retired, both long over due

I could definitely see Butch’s number getting retired, and not just as an FU to Tavares. He really does deserve it but Tavares wearing it sort of blocked that from happening. With Tavares’ legacy with the Isles pretty much ruined, we’re in the clear to retire it.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

Curious where you got Mayfield and 44? He wore 2 with Youngstown and again with Denver.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Curious where you got Mayfield and 44? He wore 2 with Youngstown and again with Denver.

in the Isles' Summer Series on him they showed him in #44, his mom had a scoresheet with him wearing 44 and he had #44 jerseys in his closet.

rZ1ASKB.jpg

z6Bfsic.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Konk

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I could definitely see Butch’s number getting retired, and not just as an FU to Tavares. He really does deserve it but Tavares wearing it sort of blocked that from happening. With Tavares’ legacy with the Isles pretty much ruined, we’re in the clear to retire it.

Maybe do it in 2021 - the anniversary year of his Conn Smythe.

Although, tbh, it's a little funny he won that Conn Smythe with Bossy scoring 17 goals in 18 playoff games.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
in the Isles' Summer Series on him they showed him in #44, his mom had a scoresheet with him wearing 44 and he had #44 jerseys in his closet.

rZ1ASKB.jpg

z6Bfsic.jpg

Ah, well he is from St. Louis, so it makes sense. He probably grew up wearing it because of Pronger.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Doesn't Lou have an issue with players taking high numbers? Isn't there something about #13 too?

While Barzal isn't going to change his number, I doubt Beauvillier would be allowed to go even higher than #72 anyway.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Doesn't Lou have an issue with players taking high numbers? Isn't there something about #13 too?

While Barzal isn't going to change his number, I doubt Beauvillier would be allowed to go even higher than #72 anyway.

That's exactly why I don't think there's any chance someone is wearing 91 next season. Lamoriello is going to tell Beauvillier he has to change numbers...but then he'll let him take 91? Seems highly unlikely. I'd be surprised if Barzal had to change his number after the rookie season he had, but I am half expecting Beauvillier to have to change since he's not in the same tier of player as Barzal. It'll be interesting to see how that stuff shakes out.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Mayfield can switch to #4 if he really needs to.

Barzal also wore #14 with Canada at the World Juniors. Think Beauvillier wore #9 there.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Really would crack up if they raised Goring to the rafters on the 28th of February. I know many would call it classless, and the organization will probably take the high road. But an eye for an eye GoT style would be awesome! One can dream.

I can just see the scoreboard tribute to Goring now starting with big block letters "The real 91"

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad